Gibson bankruptcy??

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Any Chance Cordoba throws their hat in the ring to buy Gibson then transfers most of their Acoustic production to the PAC-RIM while naming the import series something like "The Kalamazoo Collection" or "The Bozeman Collection" to blur the Origin of Manufacturer a bit? Possibly rename the entire Gibson model numbering system to create a bit more confusion like a J45 would now be a LG model acoustic and so on? Maybe the "Les Paul" could then be called "The Henry J". Then they could slowly start USA Acoustic Production back up by claiming the new models are built to original Historical specs while not mentioning the introduction of a completely different neck joint (only because customers found out about it and were kinda pissed it wasn't disclosed) until after the customer has spent their money on the guitar. Oh yeah I almost forgot, Bring on the Pore Filled Catalyzed Varnish Satin Finishes!

It would be crazy to think that all that stuff could actually happen but I guess anything is possible! LOL!:victorious:

TX

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Any Chance Cordoba throws their hat in the ring to buy Gibson then transfers most of their Acoustic production to the PAC-RIM while naming the import series something like "The Kalamazoo Collection" or "The Bozeman Collection" to blur the Origin of Manufacturer a bit? Possibly rename the entire Gibson model numbering system to create a bit more confusion like a J45 would now be a LG model acoustic and so on? Maybe the "Les Paul" could then be called "The Henry J". Then they could slowly start USA Acoustic Production back up by claiming the new models are built to original Historical specs while not mentioning the introduction of a completely different neck joint (only because customers found out about it and were kinda pissed it wasn't disclosed) until after the customer has spent their money on the guitar. Oh yeah I almost forgot, Bring on the Pore Filled Catalyzed Varnish Satin Finishes!

It would be crazy to think that all that stuff could actually happen but I guess anything is possible! LOL!:victorious:

TX

Oh my! Dripping with sarcasm! LMAO!! :encouragement:

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
c'mon tx, tell us how you really feel about it, LOL

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

TX

I admit I laughed but that's just mean ;-)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the les paul is now the henry J, oh man i almost choked!!

seriously would not surprise me though that is the sad part. and "the Bozeman collection" has certainly got a ring to it...hey Tex maybe YOU shiuld take over Gibson?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Or the "Less Paul" perhaps? :very_drunk:

That's a good one Bluesy. With just the addition of one letter you can make it confusing and aggravating for the Customer all at the same time, A Cordoba Marketing Dream! LOL:biggrin-new:

TX

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
All I been reading lately points to that Henry J dude not being willing to let go of control :)
He is like the Jerry Jones of guitar manufacturers.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Or the "Less Paul" perhaps? :very_drunk:

A few years ago, last time I was in Singapore, I went with a friend who lives there to one of the multi-story mega shopping centers they've got. This one had a floor devoted to musical instrument shops. In one shop there was a huge rack of Chibsons, Burnys and such with a sign on the wall above 'em saying: Lesser Pauls.

(I have an early '80s Burny LP with a set of Maxon Dry/Super 58 pickups in it. Killer guitar!)

-Dave-

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I spent a couple of hours last night perusing the Gibson forums concerning the subject (a couple of hours of my life I'd like to have back that's for sure). I was intrigued at how many fan boys that Henry J still has out there amongst the Gibson faithful.

One of the main reasons I stuck around here, after lurking for awhile, was the lack of fanboydom. I dig enthusiasts and enthusiasm, but mindless brand cheerleading is a non-starter.

-Dave-

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

And then there's this one. Oh Tom!…

RS45DBN18_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

bobouz

Reaction score
I recently purchased a closeout NOS 2015 J-50. The guitar is a real sweetheart. But in the course of conversation with the brick & mortar store that I purchased it from (also selling on Reverb), they said they will no longer be carrying Gibsons due to the amount of stock Gibson requires them to carry. So another dealer will most likely be making negative comments about Gibson to their customers, and I don't blame them.

Back in 2001 when Gibson first started sleeping almost exclusively with GC & MF, a small local dealer from whom I'd purchased a number of Gibsons, was aced out with the first wave which included Elderly & Gruhn. He had been a very strong advocate for the brand & would always come back from NAMM with enthusiasm. Another local dealer with four stores regionally had been carrying Gibsons for thirty years, and they were out, too.

So the process continues to this today. These very same dealers seem to be able to work just fine with Martin, Taylor, and Fender - but not Gibson.

You can imagine all the well deserved ill will Henry has brought upon himself.