Gibson bankruptcy??

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
What a beautiful guitar! And his comments were enlightening...

walrus

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed. Gotta say, though, I was cringing with all those metal things, especially the zipper on his jacket, that were making contact with the guitar. I guess when you work in a place like Norman's it's easy to get a little casual even when handling such a valuable instrument.

Anyway, that thing is really drool-worthy.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I enjoyed the brief version of Freddie King's "Hideaway" at the 7:50 mark. The '65 Fender Deluxe reissue sounds pretty good paired with the '53 Les Paul Goldtop! :applouse:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Someone had mentioned earlier about maybe Heritage should buy Gibson. Well, things are, apparently, not so good at Heritage, either.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Latest interview with Henry J. Still not taking any blame:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gib...ut-we-have-to-have-something-new-and-exciting

walrus

I can remember very well back in the 80's when I was acquiring large volumes of automatic test equipment for my employer. We would meet with both Tester supplier A and tester supplier B, and say "this is what we need and want to buy". Both suppliers would then promote their latest "system" and all its great points. Invariably supplier B would promote their system with most of the things we asked for, using the same programming language, calibration methods and substantial backward compatibility. Supplier A would promote their new system with essentially the same capability, but in their new format which meant new software to learn, new calibration to verify and approve and zero backward compatibility. Every time, the order went to supplier B, not because the system was that much better than A's, but because they had listened to us and supplied what we asked for rather than something that was similar. Bottom line is that "better" is a relative term and what is better for me may not be better for someone else. HJ seems to need to understand what he thinks is better may not be what his consumer market considers better.

In another twist - back at the reference for renaming the Les Paul to the "Henry J". I wonder if Fiat Chrysler has the rights to that name from the Kaiser / Jeep line of years past. They might not go for that without 'permission". Then again, maybe they take the VW route and give a Henry J away with each Chrysler 300 (not sure one would fit in a Fiat 500! maybe too heavy?)

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Gotta say, though, I was cringing with all those metal things, especially the zipper on his jacket, that were making contact with the guitar. I guess when you work in a place like Norman's it's easy to get a little casual even when handling such a valuable instrument.

I think Mark A. gets a kick out of making folks cringe with the buttons & zipper on his jacket. :devilish:

-Dave-

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
oh my, Billy Squier. i had to stop video immediately.
great tone for sure! another friend of mine had a '69 gold top LP and let me play it one day. sounded just so full.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A ‘69? Was that a Deluxe?

oh man, it was so long ago, like 1989. i was playing it thru a marshall stack, fingerpicking and clean, not distorted.
it sounded awesome! but i have no idea if a deluxe.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
oh man, it was so long ago, like 1989. i was playing it thru a marshall stack, fingerpicking and clean, not distorted.
it sounded awesome! but i have no idea if a deluxe.
A Deluxe would have their mini-humbuckers. I think in ‘69, which is when they reintroduced the LP shape after the SG-only years, the only options with a Goldtop were either the mini-hums for a Deluxe, or P90s for the Standard.

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/1146-gibson-les-paul-deluxe-1969-goldtop

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A Deluxe would have their mini-humbuckers. I think in ‘69, which is when they reintroduced the LP shape after the SG-only years, the only options with a Goldtop were either the mini-hums for a Deluxe, or P90s for the Standard.

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/1146-gibson-les-paul-deluxe-1969-goldtop

yes, that was the one :)

wow, I have been fortunate to play some killer top shelf guitars over the years. The best:

Martin D-45
Gibson Les Paul '69 gold top
Gretsch White Falcons

well, those are the ones i can remember

F312

Reaction score
You’ve got me turning up and turning down
And turning in and turning ‘round

Ralph

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"That situation offers the perfect ‘vulture’ or ‘fire-sale’ acquisition opportunity, especially if Gibson is forced into bankruptcy proceedings.

Just recently, a majority of Gibson’s creditors attempted to forge a deal that would effectively sideline owner/CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, and hand majority control to the activist creditor group. That bid was reportedly rejected, according to Bloomberg, with Juszkiewicz attempting to secure separate loans to retain ownership."

...fire sale.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
"That situation offers the perfect ‘vulture’ or ‘fire-sale’ acquisition opportunity, especially if Gibson is forced into bankruptcy proceedings.

Just recently, a majority of Gibson’s creditors attempted to forge a deal that would effectively sideline owner/CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, and hand majority control to the activist creditor group. That bid was reportedly rejected, according to Bloomberg, with Juszkiewicz attempting to secure separate loans to retain ownership."

...fire sale.

Let him go down like the autocrat he is. It'll happen this time because nobody's going to bail him out.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Let him go down like the autocrat he is. It'll happen this time because nobody's going to bail him out.

louis-xvi-execution-e1357165572206.jpg