Gibson bankruptcy??

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Surely seems to be a lot of Gibson haters here. They've got their problems for sure but then again so do many of us. It doesn't mean we're unredeemable, it just means we have a lot of work to do to get us to where we should be. I'll just say that from at least my personal experience, they're made and continue to make some fine acoustic instruments. Let the bashing begin but at times someone needs to get behind the underdog.

From my perspective I would not say Gibson haters as much as Henry J haters. Yes, you can't say "Les Paul" without a comment about how heavy they are, and there are times when Gibson acoustics perhaps should not have left the factory, but the esteem with which Ren. F's work is held, regardless of which brand, and the honest critiques and comparison makes me think we at LTG are actually evenhanded being neither Gibson haters not fanboys. Same applies to Martin IMO.

But I probably should not mention Robotuners...

Here endth the veer.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
That is truth right there, Fro! Speaking of that, has anyone been tracking CMG's performance since acquiring Guild?

Great question. Uncle Google seems to confirm my recollection that it privately held, so most financial results don't have to be published. This sounds like a job for Ralf :)

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great question. Uncle Google seems to confirm my recollection that it privately held, so most financial results don't have to be published. This sounds like a job for Ralf :)

I bought my 2014 M-85 new from one of germany longest and biggest guild dealers for a ridiculous price (much less than 50% off the list price) some weeks ago and got some interesting info from him. He had also bought a lot guilds before guild was sold to fender and before it was sold to cordoba. when Al Dronge died his son was in the 20s and had zero experience with managing a factory, so a lot of wrong decision had been made. while he really likes guilds he told me that guild guitars only sold well if they were 50% off the list price. He gives Cordoba max one year before they will sell the brand again, esp. since they increased the prices on american made guilds more than 25%. I hope he is wrong though.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Recalling the sometimes troubled history of the ownership of our brand, I am very glad this is not a thread about Guild's possible bankruptcy. Sometimes finding someone worse off makes you appreciate just what you have ;-)

scha·den·freu·de

/ˈSHädənˌfroidə/
noun
noun: Schadenfreude; noun: schadenfreude

"pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune"

:emmersed:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I think it's good to stay away from the whole love/hate fanboy dynamic. It'd be great IMO if Gibson reworked itself into a more streamlined and focused company. Personally I'd reserve the Gibson label for the high-end stuff, and I'd take my cue from Collings in terms of materials, construction quality and consistency. I'd use the Epiphone brand for everything else, with an emphasis on mid and upper-mid level instruments. For the lower end I'd make sure both the designs & engineering were sound and the build quality consistently good. No junk.

-Dave-

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It'd be great IMO if Gibson reworked itself into a more streamlined and focused company. Personally I'd reserve the Gibson label for the high-end stuff, and I'd take my cue from Collings in terms of materials, construction quality and consistency. I'd use the Epiphone brand for everything else, with an emphasis on mid and upper-mid level instruments.

-Dave-

this is great! I wish Henry would take your advice.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
From what I've seen and heard from insiders, the salient point here is that it'll probably have to be someone other than Henry J. to make this happen.

but is the dude going to be able to let it go? it he willing to sabotage the Gibson brand just to stay in charge?
:)

Grassdog

Reaction score
Surely seems to be a lot of Gibson haters here. They've got their problems for sure but then again so do many of us. It doesn't mean we're unredeemable, it just means we have a lot of work to do to get us to where we should be. I'll just say that from at least my personal experience, they're made and continue to make some fine acoustic instruments. Let the bashing begin but at times someone needs to get behind the underdog.

I don't think we necessarily have many Gibson "haters" here per se - quite the contrary as many LTGers also own Gibsons and have great respect for the instruments and the company's heritage. I think what irks some of us are the actions and comments of the guy at the top, who seems to believe the company exists for his own personal glorification, who routinely alienates people in his own workforce and distribution channels, and whose management decisions have left the company extremely vulnerable. I've worked for a couple of guys like this and it's a really stressful to be in a toxic work environment like that. I don't wish it on anyone.

Other than that, I think Henry J's a great guy.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Typical corporate move. They are out millions of dollars so they lay off 15 skilled workers. To save what? 1% of what they owe?

walrus

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Typical corporate move. They are out millions of dollars so they lay off 15 skilled workers. To save what? 1% of what they owe?

walrus

The clock is ticking, and if Henry J can't come up with that money by July 23rd, he's likely out. Which is good news as far as I'm concerned.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Typical corporate move.

Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz said the staff reductions are “part of broad initiative throughout the company to prepare for our refinancing,” which calls for Gibson to retire $375 million in five-year senior secured notes before July 23.

translates to me as HJ is sending a message to his creditors. I don't think it matters that the savings are a drop in the bucket.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
rule # 3 of riding dead horses: "Blame the riders."

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Misgivings about Henry J notwithstanding, what I feel is sadness. It's very sad to see yet another US company shedding employees as an excuse for bad management. Sigh.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
interesting, Rainbow Guitars here in Tucson, the main guitar shop here that sells nearly the entire Gibson acoustic and electric product line...ALL of their Gibson acoustics are gone, sold. Players coming in to be put on waiting list for a freakin J-45. Crazy. Everyone thinks its over and trying to buy what they can re US made Gibby flattops before they are too expensive. my friend really wants a J45 so he is looking at reverb and ebay now, monitoring before they go out of his price range.

meanwhile, a mere 30 second walk across the street from Rainbow is a NH D55, made in 2012, for $1799. :)

Last edited: