NGD 2011 N.H. Made F212XL Standard w/Figured Hog Back

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I picked this up a week or two ago and am just now getting around to posting a New Guitar Day for it. This is one of the first of the Standard Series Guilds to be built out of New Hartford and I have to say it is one Amazing Instrument! This is a 2011 Guild F212XL Standard series Jumbo Hog 12 string. I love my Rosewood 12er's but the chance to throw some Hog into the mix every now and then is something I really like to do. This has a Sitka Spruce top with a light bit of Bearclaw to it along with some Gorgeously Figured Hog back and sides. Every one of these early Standard series Guilds that I have seen have had some of the most strikingly beautiful wood selection of any guitar I have ever laid eyes on. These Standard series have all the same internal construction as the Higher end Traditional series models with the least amount of bling possible. Same scalloped Adirondack Red Spruce bracing that I have come to love from my New Hartford Guilds. This is also one of the early models that got the full Gloss Nitro Body and Head stock front with the satin Nitro neck.

Not only is the wood beautiful to look at but this guitar has tone for days! Sweet mids, sparkling highs, and Growling lows are just the tip of the iceberg with this one. It is extremely light and resonant with a wonderful touch response. It responds extremely well to fingerpicking but really shines when you start digging in with the pick. Big Bold Robust tone that never gets muddy no matter how hard you put the pick to it. When it showed up someone had cut the saddle a little to low so I installed a NOS NH Guild factory compensated bone saddle and I set this one up differently than my other 12's running a little higher tension set of Elixir Nanoweb PB lights on it while tuning it down 1/2 step from standard to get into that rich Hog Low end. Man she is a dream to behold. All I can say is if you ever get the chance to grab a standard series Guild from New Hartford don't pass it up. The quality is every bit as good as my Traditional series Guilds from New Hartford and they are straight up Pure Tone Machines. Not to mention the prices they are selling for should be illegal for what you get in return.

Enough babbling and on to the photos! I hope you all enjoy them as much as I enjoy playing it. If you right click on the photos you can open them in another tab and zoom in a bit if you like.

Qweo2m.jpg
BqG6jA.jpg
TGx6vw.jpg
oPf7hG.jpg
8SnSUm.jpg
iy0bZS.jpg
rZ1ZhL.jpg
FAeMES.jpg

TX

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....This is one of the first of the Standard Series Guilds to be built out of New Hartford and I have to say it is one Amazing Instrument! This is a 2011 Guild F212XL Standard series Jumbo Hog 12 string....

Killer find, TX! New Hartford models are becoming hard to find - people like to keep 'em. :encouragement:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Very nice TX!

By coincidence, I was also eyeballing a standard NH F50 and wondered if it stood up to the traditional F50. At almost half the price I was very tempted but ultimately someone else snapped it up.

I'm wondering though... do all your Guilds have equal playing time? You know, if you feel that your jumbo burst isn't getting all the love it deserves, you can always send it up north... I'd be happy to help you out with that!

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Finding myself drawn to the less-adorned Guilds of late, especially those from NH -
your F212XL is shining example - elegant, understated beauty - just so right.
Looks like it could be the biggest big brother of one of my NH F30s...

HJxXJBO.jpg

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Tx beautiful guitar . I love my mine though mine has that reddish stain I’m ok with it I just don’t care so much for the color . I’m more natural stain guy lol

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Very nice TX!

By coincidence, I was also eyeballing a standard NH F50 and wondered if it stood up to the traditional F50. At almost half the price I was very tempted but ultimately someone else snapped it up.

I'm wondering though... do all your Guilds have equal playing time? You know, if you feel that your jumbo burst isn't getting all the love it deserves, you can always send it up north... I'd be happy to help you out with that!

New Hartford F50 Standards are wonderful guitars and there are a few members here who have some gorgeous examples of that model. Twocorgi's F50 Standard Burst Cutaway immediately comes to mind with that Gorgeous back on it. While they are wonderful I have to say that I really Love my 2012 F50 Traditional, It is my all time favorite Maple guitar.

To answer your question, yes most of my Guilds get equal playtime depending on what mood of tone I am in. I have certain ones that I have owned for longer than others so naturally they have more playtime than other but my favorite thing to do is to play in a New guild. If the shoulder permits I try to put as much time on each as possible but I can say from experience that my Original F50R and F512 Natural have blossomed a bit more than others due to the extended play time and "Seasoning" they have acquired over some of the others. Same with my Orphuem Jumbo.

I originally acquired the Burst F50R and Burst F512 to have a set of backups to my original F50R and F512 in Natural finish in case anything ever happened to my first set but I enjoy playing them as well. With the scarcity of New Hartford made Guilds growing more and more relevant along with some of the quality issues Oxnard has had I would rather have a backup set and not need them than to not have a backup set and need them. I am currently in the middle of deciding whether or not I am going to purge some of my collection and while I don't think I will be putting the Burst F512 on the block, If something does happen you will be the first to know about it. I am really enjoying this F212XL especially after I set it up the way I did. The volume and tone is just Monstrous!

TX

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Finding myself drawn to the less-adorned Guilds of late, especially those from NH -
your F212XL is shining example - elegant, understated beauty - just so right.
Looks like it could be the biggest big brother of one of my NH F30s...

HJxXJBO.jpg

That sir is a fine looking Guild!

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Killer find, TX! New Hartford models are becoming hard to find - people like to keep 'em. :encouragement:

As you know there is a perfectly logical reason for their scarcity, They are pretty much all Amazing!

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Tx beautiful guitar . I love my mine though mine has that reddish stain I’m ok with it I just don’t care so much for the color . I’m more natural stain guy lol

I hear ya Ray, Mine has more of the Brown stain to it which I really like on the Hog Guilds. However my favorite would have been if New Hartford would have just finished the Hog bodies in Clear like my old 90's D26 was. The Hog has such a Beautiful Natural Color tone to it that it is almost a crime to stain it in my opinion.

TX

F312

Reaction score
Tx, I'll backup what you say about the New Hartford standard series. I just got a 2012 D50CE STD (needed a cutaway) and it is amazing. I read somewhere the neck is "real mahogany", what's real mahogany?

Ralph

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tx, I'll backup what you say about the New Hartford standard series. I just got a 2012 D50CE STD (needed a cutaway) and it is amazing. I read somewhere the neck is "real mahogany", what's real mahogany?

Ralph

"Real Mahogany" as they call it is in reference to Central or South American Mahogany also called Honduran Mahogany. It is a completely different species from the stuff they are using today and referring to as "African Mahogany". The term "African Mahogany" actually covers several different species more easily obtainable that have no biological relation to the "Genuine or Honduran Mahogany".

The mahogany on that is just AMAZING!! Wowza!! Congrats, TX!! :encouragement:

Thanks Davisman, The figuring on the back is what drew me in and then the tone of the guitar just sealed the deal on it.

TX

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
another great NH jumbo 12 score Tex, congrats and enjoy! that is a serious mahogany back, that book matched grain pattern is the pick of the genuine Honduran litter! cheers!

F312

Reaction score
"Real Mahogany" as they call it is in reference to Central or South American Mahogany also called Honduran Mahogany. It is a completely different species from the stuff they are using today and referring to as "African Mahogany". The term "African Mahogany" actually covers several different species more easily obtainable that have no biological relation to the "Genuine or Honduran Mahogany".

Thanks Davisman, The figuring on the back is what drew me in and then the tone of the guitar just sealed the deal on it.

TX

I'll say it again, That is a nice backside of mahogany.

Ralph

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
another great NH jumbo 12 score Tex, congrats and enjoy! that is a serious mahogany back, that book matched grain pattern is the pick of the genuine Honduran litter! cheers!

Nice find, TX.

I like my F-212XL Std as well. Enjoy!

Thanks Mav and Chazmo!

I'll say it again, That is a nice backside of mahogany.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph. I can't help it, I have always been a sucker for a nice Book matched figured backside, LOL! It has always been my weakness and in most cases wound up costing me a lot more than the price of a guitar, LOL!:tongue-new:

TX