Reaction score
Well did ya get it huh huh ?
One more day more me 😁

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well did ya get it huh huh ?

Well, the Martin case is real nice. The guitar... not really that bad. The neck seems to be over-relieved and the action is super high, although there's plenty of saddle. I'm working today, but I went home for lunch and opened her up, so I haven't had a chance for full measurements. Hopefully, it just needs a setup. Basically, I'm not too thrilled....

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Well, the Martin case is real nice. The guitar... not really that bad. The neck seems to be over-relieved and the action is super high, although there's plenty of saddle. I'm working today, but I went home for lunch and opened her up, so I haven't had a chance for full measurements. Hopefully, it just needs a setup. Basically, I'm not too thrilled....

I'm sure it just needs a good set-up and it will be fine. Let us know how it turns out.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it just needs a good set-up and it will be fine. Let us know how it turns out.

boilermaker.jpg

Usually works for me.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Basically, I'm not too thrilled....

Of coarse silly it’s not a Guild lol
But it still might be ok , I’m having fire out back this weekend so yeah come by we can start it with that if you don’t like it 😁

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear this about the neck and action. If you shave the saddle will they still take it back for a refund if you don't like it? Unfortunately the "I am not too thrilled" response became more and more common to me the more I tried to purchase other brands online including New American made Martin, Taylor, and Gibson models. That is why I have such an affinity for the New Hartford Guilds, even slightly used ones. The worst one I ever received still exceeded all of my very high expectations and I have yet to be disappointed by any of them. I guess I just got spoiled by their quality and tone. I have nothing against the Martin you purchased and have heard good things about some of them. Wishing you the best and I really hope it all works out for you whatever decision you make on the Martin. It just really sucks to get all excited about a new guitar coming in and then to have to deal with a letdown when you receive it.

TX

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Usually works for me.

Well, Wednesday is my Friday, so.... I'm there.

Of coarse silly it’s not a Guild lol....

Man, is that ever the truth! I can see already that this will not be a keeper. I expect it'll be a fine OM 12er with a set up, but apparently once you've gone Guild jumbo, there's no going back, lol!

It's a 2015 with plastic still on the pickguard! Hopefully I can just sell it locally. I've had good luck with that recently.... Then I can get back in the hunt... :tiger:

Oh, I just saw your post, TX. Yeah, you called it, lol. Musically, it's a letdown, but I figure it's worth more than I paid for it, so financially it's not a bust. :tickled_pink:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I hardly ever play 12-strings—never owned one and find them unwieldy. Figured my fingers were too small.
Big hands little hands there’s one to fit all .
12 strings open up a whole new world ya just have to tune it right lol

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Love the sound of a 12er but they really are a PITA IMHO. I do have a '73 F 112 that is pretty nice. It has a smaller body and seems easier to handle to me.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Love the sound of a 12er but they really are a PITA IMHO. I do have a '73 F 112 that is pretty nice. It has a smaller body and seems easier to handle to me.

I'm getting to know my recently acquired F512, and yes it takes a little more effort to tune, to play, change strings, etc. But the pay off is worth it IMHO. When everything is lined up, when its "in the pocket", the wall of sound that hits you is just magical. Lately, I've been really into delta blues riffs tuned down a step and it sounds sooooooo raunchy. Nothing compares!

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yup, I know I'm very much in the minority on this forum and that there are bunches of 12 string lovers here. To be clear, I love the sound, they just take a lot more work and patience than I'm usually willing to give. And yes, I am one lazy SOB.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yup, I know I'm very much in the minority on this forum and that there are bunches of 12 string lovers here. To be clear, I love the sound, they just take a lot more work and patience than I'm usually willing to give. And yes, I am one lazy SOB.

:). I am in same camp Richard. Every 12 string I have bought, I ended up selling within a year...6 strings is way enough for me. If I could do just the top 4 strings and forget the B/E, that would be fine too...

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I never noticed an issue with any 12’s except tone wise I wantz me a 512 oh yeah 😁

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm getting to know my recently acquired F512....

Nice! I gotta get me one of those.

....I wantz me a 512 oh yeah 😁

Yeah, I gotta get me one of those.

Eventually.

Meanwhile, I just got back from my luthier's. He said a setup for the Martin ought to set it right.

But the more important news is that my JF30-12 got worked on, got a new nut and saddle, frets were leveled, it was almost done, it's going to be good, and I can probably get it tomorrow! Been totally missing this guitar. That's why I need another jumbo Guild 12-string!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice! I gotta get me one of those.

Yeah, I gotta get me one of those.

Eventually.

Meanwhile, I just got back from my luthier's. He said a setup for the Martin ought to set it right.

But the more important news is that my JF30-12 got worked on, got a new nut and saddle, frets were leveled, it was almost done, it's going to be good, and I can probably get it tomorrow! Been totally missing this guitar. That's why I need another jumbo Guild 12-string!

I sent you a couple of PM's last night with some choice listings in it for your viewing pleasure.

TX

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
. . . I can see already that this will not be a keeper. I expect it'll be a fine OM 12er with a set up, but apparently once you've gone Guild jumbo, there's no going back, lol!
y'know that's true, Cougar, but expectations are different for different guitars. Martins simply don't sound like Guild jumbos. That said, Martin did make a nice attempt at a Guild-like jumbo (they called it the GJ style for grand jumbo since Martin's idea of a jumbo is quite differernt.

Anyway, sorry it didn't work out, but if you want to play the quintessential Martin 12-string, look for an old D12-20. Dry and quiet, but oh so wonderful...

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jumbo 12-ers are a pain in the tuchis - every time I change strings and clean and polish the JF4-12, I ask myself, "Why are you doing this? Again?"

Then, as M. ClydeTower says, "When everything is lined up ...", the strings are settled in, and the tuning is spot on, and you are bathed in overtones and harmonics, you say, "THAT'S why I'm doing this..."