Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum strings on D55 - Tone down the Tone - Thoughts?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I put the Monels on my D50. Worst sound I ever heard on a guitar, using a pick. Fingerstyle was ok, but I'm primarily a pick user, so I took them off in 2 days, I couldn't imagine they could improve that much.

It's funny how many people love that string, and an equal number abhor them. I hear they last forever, though. Maybe I got a bad batch, I may try again someday, but I tend to like a quiet string. Martin SP on most of my guitars.

Ya, its been a few days with the Monels and as much as I want to like them, I can't say I'm real crazy about them. They have a jangly/brash sound that doesn't seem to want to go away. Probably typical of Nickel alloy strings. They also feel pretty stiff for my style of play. So I'm probably gonna try the DR Rare Bluegrass gauge next, and hope to get my D55s mojo back, I miss it.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I put the Monels on my D50. Worst sound I ever heard on a guitar, using a pick. Fingerstyle was ok, but I'm primarily a pick user, so I took them off in 2 days, I couldn't imagine they could improve that much.

It's funny how many people love that string, and an equal number abhor them. I hear they last forever, though. Maybe I got a bad batch, I may try again someday, but I tend to like a quiet string. Martin SP on most of my guitars.

i hear ya. Monels are interesting. mine been on the Br for nearly a week now, i like them, as i hear more guitar and less string. i still think the PBs are best alloy to my ear on my Guild, but like you say, it is so personal. i might try Lifespans next, tons of good reviews on them. also, Monels feel more like electric stings so that is not for everyone. and i agree, finger picking, they are better than when strummed. strummed they do come across a tad too metallic. but they cut well thru the mix which i also like.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ya, its been a few days with the Monels and as much as I want to like them, I can't say I'm real crazy about them. They have a jangly/brash sound that doesn't seem to want to go away. Probably typical of Nickel alloy strings.

bluegrass gauge will go well with the D55, i would try the D'A EJ19s. several on LTG swear by those strings. John Pearse also has a great PB bluegrass gauge string.

and i agree with your findings re the Monels. I do think Mav is onto something re hog top guitars, the Monels really do it justice, bringing out more of the dark color of the D25 flatbacks. and if i remember correctly, you got the tony Rice monels, which are .13-.56. I got the lights .12-.54. so not nearly as stiff. but yes, nickle is brash...feels it on the fingers too, again, like electric guitar strings.

jedzep

Reaction score
Dang! Just bought a pack of TRice 13's for the F20. Gotta' stop reading these string reviews! I'm all string/schizo.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I got some proto-beta-first look Martin Monel strings from our favorite central Massachusetts music store shortly after I bought my F47R. I believe they were lights/12-5x. They sounded terrible on this auditorium sized guitar. As one other previous poster stated, like electric guitar strings on an acoustic guitar. I tried, but as she was a new guitar and I was trying to play her all the time, I pulled them off in less than a week. Just terrible. That kind of was my feeling after putting D'Addario Nickel/Bronze strings on my D55 earlier this year. BLECCH! Could not get them off fast enough. She now has DR Verbatim-Veridian-Vandershamazzle....Vantage...Vermouth...damn, what is it? Anyway, everyone go out and buy those, they are vantastic! :biggrin-new: Apparently long life due to something they do to the core of the string. There is not a "bluegrass-gauged" set, so I have a combo of Lights and Mediums on her. I suppose that leaves me with a DADGAD kind of set?