Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum strings on D55 - Tone down the Tone - Thoughts?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
<face palm>
I ordered the 12-54s. And a set of Elixir PB Nanoweb 13-53s.

Well, you never know, maybe they will work for you. If you do like them, I can send you some 13-57's my treat :smiley_simmons:
Let me know how it turns out.

jedzep

Reaction score
That's interesting, Clyde. I love the TI 13's on my little F20, tuned down of course, but they kinda' killed my Martin 00018. In my years of using TI's I can say that I've gotten stuck twice with bad (dead) sets. You may want to move those over to another guitar to check that.

Incidentally, the Dunlop Tortex .73mm pick will quiet a brashy flat top.

Looks like you have other guitars to string up with them, but if you can give me a deal on the 13's...

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
That's interesting, Clyde. I love the TI 13's on my little F20, tuned down of course, but they kinda' killed my Martin 00018. In my years of using TI's I can say that I've gotten stuck twice with bad (dead) sets. You may want to move those over to another guitar to check that.

Hi Jed, I was in fact planning to move them to my 812, see how they compare to the Plectrums which I do love on this guitar. I also ordered a set of Plectrum 12-59s to try out on the 812.

Incidentally, the Dunlop Tortex .73mm pick will quiet a brashy flat top.

Funny you mention that, my goto pick is a Dunlop Tortex .90mm, but I also use a Tortex .73mm for heavy strumming. The JazzIII pick is also a really good pick for a more mellow tone, I use it on my 812 and it works well with the Plectrums.

Looks like you have other guitars to string up with them, but if you can give me a deal on the 13's...

Ya, I'll definitely try the strings out on my other guitars, maybe they will click with one of them. If none of them like the TIs, I might just offer them up :distracted:

jedzep

Reaction score
Good luck. I have to write down all the string swap-outs. Confusing.

I hate to admit it but the 13's might be responsible for the F20 bridge lifting again after a pro re-glue. May have to go back to 12's. I don't like that the bridge plate is basically the same shape as the bridge above it rather than a triangular shape that extends a little beyond the bridge perimeter. I feel that may be allowing a little too much movement/flexing.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry you didn't like 'em, Clyde. Don't bother with any silk and steel strings then as I think you'll have a similar reaction.

Best wishes!

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Sorry you didn't like 'em, Clyde. Don't bother with any silk and steel strings then as I think you'll have a similar reaction.

Best wishes!

Ya, silk and steel strings not a good match for me and my D55... Great for my Taylor though, I mean the Plectrums of course.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hope the Monels work out, I got them on my Br now, you GOT to give them a few hours or even a couple days of play before making a call on them. but I like them, less string zing, more guitar, a little bit like electric guitar strings though.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I hope the Monels work out, I got them on my Br now, you GOT to give them a few hours or even a couple days of play before making a call on them. but I like them, less string zing, more guitar, a little bit like electric guitar strings though.

I put on the Tony Rice 13-56 Monels this Morning. Wow these strings are the complete opposite of the Spectrums. These Nickel-Copper strings make the D55 sound "woodier" and very loud. There's a lot of jangle going on, but I suspect that will fade a bit once they have broken in. Very interesting sound I must say!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I put on the Tony Rice 13-56 Monels this Morning. Wow these strings are the complete opposite of the Spectrums. These Nickel-Copper strings make the D55 sound "woodier" and very loud. There's a lot of jangle going on, but I suspect that will fade a bit once they have broken in. Very interesting sound I must say!

give it 2-3 days, the jangle will subside and then just be strong strings...i hear they last a long time too.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
IT occurs to me that the TI's at 12-54 simply may not have been putting enough tension on the top.
Remember an NH D55 was designed for mediums.
And now you love a 13-56 set.....

ClydeTower

Reaction score
IT occurs to me that the TI's at 12-54 simply may not have been putting enough tension on the top.

You're right, I thought about that, however the Dr Rares I had on just before the string change were also 12-54s and sounded great. I won't deny the heavier gauge of the Monels contributes to the bigger volume.
I did order some Spectrum 13-57s, so I could always give them a shot, but since there's virtually no chance these strings would stay on my D55, it would seem like a waste. That life sucking tone is still ringing in my ears... oh the humanity!

I will however be trying the heavier gauge DR Rares

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You're right, I thought about that, however the Dr Rares I had on just before the string change were also 12-54s and sounded great. I won't deny the heavier gauge of the Monels contributes to the bigger volume.
I did order some Spectrum 13-57s, so I could always give them a shot, but since there's virtually no chance these strings would stay on my D55, it would seem like a waste. That life sucking tone is still ringing in my ears... oh the humanity!

I will however be trying the heavier gauge DR Rares

i got a buddy who swears by DR Rares. Keeps it in the Dronge family :)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score

That's an interesting thought, Al, but the bottom line is that Spectrums are relatively quiet strings. When you try these things, you realize then what a difference strings actually make to the sound of your guitar. People don't necessarily get it until they do these experiments.

Back before I knew a thing or two about guitars, I thought my Ibanez Series I Artwood 12-string dread (the first guitar I had ever bought new) had actually broken somehow after I put on a new set of strings. I don't remember what they were, but they just dampened the tone of the thing and I didn't know what was going on. It was only later when I realized it was the string set I'd bought. Too bad the guys at the music store where I bought them didn't know squat or they would've known to tell me that point.

Anyway, it's a lesson learned. As far as Clyde is concerned, he now knows a little bit more about what he likes and doesn't like.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
i got a buddy who swears by DR Rares. Keeps it in the Dronge family :)

"...Mark Dronge, president of DR Strings, comes from a family with an important musical heritage: his father Al Dronge founded Guild."

I did not know that... You learn something every day!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, Clyde. Mark Dronge is Guild royalty! If it weren't for Mark, we might not have Guild dreadnought-style guitars.

He's a really interesting guy and his memory is sharp as a tack. In 2013, he came to the last Let's Meet Guild event and we heard some great stories from him.

By the way, if you don't already have a copy of Hans Moust's "The Guild Guitar Book," run -- don't walk -- to Amazon and get a copy.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"...Mark Dronge, president of DR Strings, comes from a family with an important musical heritage: his father Al Dronge founded Guild."

I did not know that... You learn something every day!

technically, maybe we all should be using DRs for our Guild flattops :) I have tried them on several occasion, but they are tough on my fingers, for whatever reason. like even the lights dig too far into my finger pads, in a way martins, d'as and john pearse do not.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting thought, Al, but the bottom line is that Spectrums are relatively quiet strings. When you try these things, you realize then what a difference strings actually make to the sound of your guitar. People don't necessarily get it until they do these experiments.
Yes I thought it might be a little unlikely myself, but I had no idea how sensitive the NH's might be to things like that.
As far as Clyde is concerned, he now knows a little bit more about what he likes and doesn't like.
And so do we... :biggrin-new:

valleyguy

Reaction score

Best wishes!

Odd, I guess we are all looking for something different in what we want our guitar to sound like. I hate brashy strings/sound. That's the biggest reason I have gone to a beveled pick (Wegen bluegrass and Blue Chip). on my D55 I put on GHS silk strings and it was marvelous. My next test will be the John Pearse silks. Sounds like I should try the DR Rares next.

valleyguy

Reaction score

I put the Monels on my D50. Worst sound I ever heard on a guitar, using a pick. Fingerstyle was ok, but I'm primarily a pick user, so I took them off in 2 days, I couldn't imagine they could improve that much.

It's funny how many people love that string, and an equal number abhor them. I hear they last forever, though. Maybe I got a bad batch, I may try again someday, but I tend to like a quiet string. Martin SP on most of my guitars.