Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum strings on D55 - Tone down the Tone - Thoughts?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I'm ordering a batch of strings today for my "herd" and was thinking of trying out some Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum strings on my D55. I use TI Plectrums (low-tension) on my Taylor 812ce and they are the best strings I've ever used, at least for a small bodied guitar, so I thought why not try some TI Spectrums (normal tension) on my D55.

Not sure if I should go with Spectrum 12-54s (167lbs) or 13-57s (188.6lbs)... I currently have Daddario EJ19s 12-56 (175.8lbs) on my D55.

The reason I would like to try something different is I sometimes find the overtones/sustain of my D55 a bit over the top. There is so much going on "sonically" that it sometimes loses clarity/focus depending on what I'm playing. I know this is the nature of the beast. But if I could find some strings that could tone it down just a tad, a little quicker decay, a tad more fundamental sound...

Any thoughts?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Our own Frosty loved this combination on his F-50R. I think you'll enjoy the change on your D-55, Clyde, but it will be a change; be prepared for it! Spectrums are also pretty long-life strings, even though they're not coated. Top quality and completely unique!

I had a lot of fun with the Spectums on Frosty's F-50R (which I owned for a while), but ultimately liked the sound of PB bronze strings (without the silk wrapping) better.

Note, the Spectrums are something of a different beast than the Plectrums. As I said, they are completely unique.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Clyde:
Have you tried D'Addario ej14s 12-56? Got them on my DV52 and really like them. The "g" string is .025 and will take a little more of my - not so smooth - strummin'. They were recommended to me by LTG member.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Clyde:
Have you tried D'Addario ej14s 12-56? Got them on my DV52 and really like them. The "g" string is .025 and will take a little more of my - not so smooth - strummin'. They were recommended to me by LTG member.

Those are 80/20 Bronze aren't they? Wouldn't that liven up the D55 even more?
I was looking to mellow out the sound and reign in those overtones just a bit.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Our own Frosty loved this combination on his F-50R. I think you'll enjoy the change on your D-55, Clyde, but it will be a change; be prepared for it! Spectrums are also pretty long-life strings, even though they're not coated. Top quality and completely unique!

Now you've got me even more intrigued... I'm leaning towards the higher tension 13-57s (188lbs), instinclively, I think it would be a better fit, however I have no idea what the recommended string tension is for the D55...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Now you've got me even more intrigued... I'm leaning towards the higher tension 13-57s (188lbs), instinclively, I think it would be a better fit, however I have no idea what the recommended string tension is for the D55...

NH D55's came with mediums EXP-17 13-56 coated PB.
I used to think they went coated just to inhibit corrosion but your comments make me wonder if they also knew they they'd keep it a little bit toned down.
And fine guitars are designed around the string tension they're intended to handle.
I'm notorious for promoting the factory spec string and I think there's a reason D'Addario's the world's biggest string maker, I think they really do offer the best bang for the buck, but I've become a whole lot more sympatheic to folks who like to try out different strings now.
If you can't ID what's on there already, D'A's are also a really cheap experiment before you go dropping serious change on T-I's.
:friendly_wink:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
NH D55's came with mediums EXP-17 13-56 coated PB.
I used to think they went coated just to inhibit corrosion but your comments make me wonder if they also knew they they'd keep it a little bit toned down.
And fine guitars are designed around the string tension they're intended to handle.
I'm notorious for promoting the factory spec string and I think there's a reason D'Addario's the world's biggest string maker, I think they really do offer the best bang for the buck, but I've become a whole lot more sympatheic to folks who like to try out different strings now.
If you can't ID what's on there already, D'A's are also a really cheap experiment before you go dropping serious change on T-I's.
:friendly_wink:

Hey Al!

Thanks for chiming in. I already have D'Addario EJ19s (Bluegrass) on my D55. They've always been my "goto" strings and my D55 sounds good with these. But lately I've been wanting to experiment based on my experience with my Taylor 812ce and "factory specs":

Taylor recommends Elixir HD lights (Highly promoted by Andy Powers) which is what I put on there from the start... but I was very dissatisfied with the thin/metallic tone I was getting and was really disappointed on how my Taylor 812 was sounding, which is supposed to be one of the best guitars in their lineup. I was ready to sell my guitar, I even put it up on Reverb, and while I was waiting for offers to come in, I decided to try something totally different, something completely opposed to the Elixirs. So I tried the Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum's (low tension silk core), and it was as if God had opened up the heavens. It completely transformed my 812 from zero to hero in about 5 min. And I've never looked back. So, based on my experience, I'm not really sold on the "recommended factory specs" thing in regards to strings. Sometimes, I think its just a marketing/commercial ploy. I get that you have to be in the right ballpark for tension in order to move the top correctly, but aside from that, I think there might be other options than the defacto D'Addario's for the D55.

I think I'm going to sacrifice a little playability and go all in with higher tension TI Spectrum 13-57s.

Meanwhile, I slapped on some DR Rare 12-54s just to experiment with other tonal options. Strings still haven't broken in yet so the jury is still out...

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you want a more fundamental tone, more guitar, less string, and mellow out to overtones a bit, I would try the martin Monel Tony rice 13-56 strings.
I here they are great, that particular gauge too, less tension but also more tonewood and less string zing.
and they last a long time.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Strings and Beyond have a 10% off sale today so I ordered a few sets:

TI Spectrums (13-57 & 12-54)
TI Plectrums (12-59)
Martin Tony Rice Monels (13-56)

Right now test driving DR Rare's 12-54 and gotta say they feel really good. They're supposed to be low-tension, but the tension specs are nowhere to be found... Once the strings break in, I'll have a better idea on how they sound.

So far I've tested Elixir 80/20 lights (came with the guitar) and D'Addario EJ19s

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm ordering a batch of strings today for my "herd" and was thinking of trying out some Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum strings on my D55. I use TI Plectrums (low-tension) on my Taylor 812ce and they are the best strings I've ever used, at least for a small bodied guitar, so I thought why not try some TI Spectrums (normal tension) on my D55.

Not sure if I should go with Spectrum 12-54s (167lbs) or 13-57s (188.6lbs)... I currently have Daddario EJ19s 12-56 (175.8lbs) on my D55.

The reason I would like to try something different is I sometimes find the overtones/sustain of my D55 a bit over the top. There is so much going on "sonically" that it sometimes loses clarity/focus depending on what I'm playing. I know this is the nature of the beast. But if I could find some strings that could tone it down just a tad, a little quicker decay, a tad more fundamental sound...

Any thoughts?

An idea some use is changing the string pegs to plastic of wood or other to dull the over tones .

You can change just the ones you think are causing the most issue .

Huh I never have enough going on overtone wise lol what year D55 ?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
An idea some use is changing the string pegs to plastic of wood or other to dull the over tones .

His sig says 2012, mid-New Hampshire, er, Hartford production.
Dang now ya got me doin 'it.
:glee:

ClydeTower

Reaction score

It really depends on what I'm playing. Sometimes its hard to hear individual notes because there's so much sustain going on... it just piles up and goes on and on. Sometimes, that's a good thing, sometimes, not so much. I think I just need the right strings for my style of play. I use a lot of palm muting techniques, it just takes more effort with the D55 than say my 810.

I've also found that playing with a JazzIII plectrum instead of a Dunlop Ultex helps me better achieve the tone I'm looking for.

Right now, I'm liking the Dr Rare's. They sound a bit more creamy than the D'Addarios and are easier to play. Looking forward to trying those TIs when they arrive in a few days.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Clyde, Hope all is well. I know you mentioned running Elixir HD Lights on your Taylor and being disappointed in the tone the Taylor produced. I was trying different strings on my F50R's and D55's im my collection as I got tired of the Daddario EXP's coating and the effect it had on tone. My other issue was the non coated Daddario EJ's sounded good but they would tarnish after a short while of playing and dull out faster than wanted in tone. On a whim I tried a set of the Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Light HD's 13-53's on my rosewood Guilds both F50R and D55's and was Blown away by the depth, clarity, Note Separation, and overall richness in the tone. They sound Awesome when strummed or finger picked and give a definition to the tone that seemed almost a bit muddy with other string sets. The light thin Nanoweb coating lets the strings to still vibrate freely while allowing them to last for months before they need to be changed with no corrosion evident. They also respond well to a percussive attack when playing.

It couldn't hurt to try a set on the D55 but make sure you look at the label on the strings. Elixir makes both Nanoweb coated "80/20" HD lights which can get really Tinny in tone and the ones I use which are Nanoweb Coated "Phosphor Bronze" HD Lights. The Phosphor Bronze set really retains the warmth of the Rosewood guitars while adding a touch of that Clarity to them to subtly tone down the overtones a bit. They also sound great on my Hog and Maple Guilds as well. Just an opinion as always so best of luck with whatever you decide, Hope you are enjoying that F512!

TX

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Hey Clyde, Hope all is well. I know you mentioned running Elixir HD Lights on your Taylor and being disappointed in the tone the Taylor produced. I was trying different strings on my F50R's and D55's im my collection as I got tired of the Daddario EXP's coating and the effect it had on tone. My other issue was the non coated Daddario EJ's sounded good but they would tarnish after a short while of playing and dull out faster than wanted in tone. On a whim I tried a set of the Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Light HD's 13-53's on my rosewood Guilds both F50R and D55's and was Blown away by the depth, clarity, Note Separation, and overall richness in the tone. They sound Awesome when strummed or finger picked and give a definition to the tone that seemed almost a bit muddy with other string sets. The light thin Nanoweb coating lets the strings to still vibrate freely while allowing them to last for months before they need to be changed with no corrosion evident. They also respond well to a percussive attack when playing.

It couldn't hurt to try a set on the D55 but make sure you look at the label on the strings. Elixir makes both Nanoweb coated "80/20" HD lights which can get really Tinny in tone and the ones I use which are Nanoweb Coated "Phosphor Bronze" HD Lights. The Phosphor Bronze set really retains the warmth of the Rosewood guitars while adding a touch of that Clarity to them to subtly tone down the overtones a bit. They also sound great on my Hog and Maple Guilds as well. Just an opinion as always so best of luck with whatever you decide, Hope you are enjoying that F512!

TX

Hey TX,
Actually, the Elixir HD Light PBs are the strings I had on my 812. I think I still have some lying around somewhere. Couldn't hurt to try. Sometimes what doesn't work with one guitar might work with another. I will admit though I'm not a fan of that "slippery" feel you get with the Elixirs.

All this experimentation with strings is costing me a fortune but its giving me the opportunity to discover and appreciate all of the subtleties in each of my guitar's voicings. One thing I've learned about my D55 is I prefer the tone when my right hand plays closer to the bridge than over the sound hole. Its obviously less boomy, a little tighter, more controlled with faster decay. However, it also sounds brighter, so I'm thinking the TIs will help mellow that out.

The DR Rare's have settled in and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought the 12-54 gauge would sound thin, but that's not what jumps out at me. I'm getting a little more clarity, more definition than with the D'Addarios. It might be that the smaller gauge cuts out a little of the boominess. To make this a fair comparison, I've also ordered some DR Rare Bluegrass gauge 12-56. We'll see if the added bottom end muddies up the tone.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just as an aside possible string choice Clyde, I have been really liking John Pearse PB Lights (600L) on my Guild D25 Br dread. It is all hog tonewoods. Had them on a good 10 days to 2 weeks of play, they really get warm and strong the more they are played. Meaty. Not a lot of string zing. Might be worth trying. .12-.53.

jedzep

Reaction score
The TI spectrum 13's quieted the overly jangly tone of my F20, granted, quite a small guitar for 13's, except for the fact I play tuned down a step, D-D. The nice thing is I'll get 8 months out of them. Every other guitar (30's era Gibson L0 mahog and ad spruce topped L00 and a '62 00018) gets Dunlop 80/20 13's. All tuned down the same whole step. The 13's restore the top tension at that tuning, and give my hands a break, but I really do it that way to gain an extra vocal range.

Thanks for the Tony Rice Monel reminder. I've been wanting to try them.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ooo! OOO! A string thread? Where is Pascal? :biggrin-new:

My two pence worth...late production NH D55. D'Addarios always work, no problem. Rotosound Jumbos are nice, little more treble. DR Rares really sound good to me, problem in the past has been consistancy... mostly dead or quickly dead single strings. BUT, trying the DR Veridian...Verizon...what the h*#$ is it, starts with "V," my D55 LOVES them. I think it is supposed to be a longer lasting string, without resorting to Dragon-snot or whatever. Really sound good, even went to local store and bought a set a just about list price. Yeah, that good, at least for me. There is love here for John Pearce 80'20's, to my ear not bad at all but like the DR Vermouth strings better :tongue-new:

What she does NOT like, are the D'Addario Nickel-Bronze, which I think is their try at a Monel-like string. Just sounded awful, pulled them off after a couple days...yet the Collings D2H loves 'em, and suppose that makes sense as it is a more "Martin-like" guitar.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
DR Rares really sound good to me, problem in the past has been consistancy... mostly dead or quickly dead single strings. BUT, trying the DR Veridian...Verizon...what the h*#$ is it, starts with "V," my D55 LOVES them. I think it is supposed to be a longer lasting string, without resorting to Dragon-snot or whatever. Really sound good, even went to local store and bought a set a just about list price.

That is what trying right now, the Dr Rares, and I'm liking them a lot. I even like the smaller 12-54 gauge. More balanced, less boomy than the EJ19s. More fundamental sound also.

What she does NOT like, are the D'Addario Nickel-Bronze, which I think is their try at a Monel-like string. Just sounded awful, pulled them off after a couple days...yet the Collings D2H loves 'em, and suppose that makes sense as it is a more "Martin-like" guitar.

I've got a set of Tony Rice Monels coming along with the TIs. Curious if to see if get the same results.

Will keep you posted.