Split Personality Guild Jumbo

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Been studying the pics some more.

We can never know the real story, but I think it was an intentional mismatch.

bobouz

Reaction score
The grain actually looks fairly similar near the top. I've come across a number of Guilds that were not perfectly bookmatched, but were clearly cut from the same wood. This probably is still within that realm - at the extreme end of the scale.

In some weird way, I kinda like it & would not pass it by out of hand.

mike1100

Reaction score
If you saw this hanging in your local music store and it sounded good, would you buy it?

Clyde, that's a great "litmus test" question. I'll admit I'm not 100% logical, or unbiased, when it comes to choosing a guitar and I'm okay with that. The guitars I've kept didn't just speak to me, they yelled and caused me to loose sleep.

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
Been studying the pics some more.

We can never know the real story, but I think it was an intentional mismatch.

It is obvious that the top was specifically constructed to enhance the octaves in Ee Aa Dd and then react in a different way to the bb ee strings. I remember back in the Wild West days of eBay once seeing a Guild drednaught with mahogany sides and a rosewood back. I am not sure what that was about. Maybe it was a D-45.

CK

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Was thinking it was more likely one or more individuals in production doing
a "wonder what we'd get if we tried this..." soon followed by an "uh oh..." :redface-new:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wood can change direction and grain in the blink of an eye, depending on the tree and how it grows. It's called nature. Who doesn't give a flying about what you or I want to do with it's products. And it happens. But I do remember using the denatured alcohol in those moments when people couldn't envision what it would look like finished. Wipe the wood down with the alcohol and you'll pretty much see what it's gonna look like with clear finish.

I remember one customer who bought these HUGELY expensive chairs from the Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood for their remodel and she said, "The color on the wood of the arms is just awful. I want it to match the caramel color on that wall over there!" Well of course, I take these amazingly expensive chairs and mask off all fabric and welting and try to protect everything and then stripped the wood on the arms. I found this BEAUTIFUL and UNIQUE woodgrain and .... I was blown away!! I thought, "Who'd want to cover THIS UP?" So I called the couple and said, I'm willing to make another trip with one of the chairs so you can see what you're covering up. It's so beautiful!!" So I drive over the hill and it's in the back of my truck and she and her husband come out and she says, "It's not the right color!" I said, this is raw wood. I can make it any color you want. What I want you to see is the beautiful and intricate wood grain in this wood! Watch!!" So I get my rag and my alcohol from the squirt bottle and wipe it down and all this AH-MAZING wood grain comes up!!

She screams, "OH MY GOD!! I HATE IT!! I want it that caramel color I told you about!!! This is awful!!" So I said, "Okay. Stay calm." I finished and colored that wood to death to the point that it looked like molded plastic and when I took it out there, she was SOOOO HAPPY!!

Personal taste is exactly that...... personal. I did want to slap her really hard but she was paying me over the odds to make the chairs look stupid so......... :chargrined:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom, I've dealt with customers like that as well... too many times, LOL!

There's something endearing about this one - IF it had no other issues and the price was right, I could see myself buying it

Me too - glad this guitar got to see the light of day - watching to see if the seller revises with a Make Offer:wink:

Last edited: