Split Personality Guild Jumbo

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
https://reverb.com/item/10326031-guild-f212-xl-12-string-1985-natural

I know I am posting this in the Acoustic section but the top on this one is just crazy to me. I think I have seen this for sale before but I had to post it here to discuss the extremely unique Mismatched top on this F212XL. I mean, If Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde or even Two-Face from the comic books had a Guitar made for them this would be perfect! As much as I love symmetry and am not a fan of mismatched tops on Guitars this one has a certain beauty to it that just draws you in. Kind of like the Yin/Yang of guitar tops, LOL. Here are some pics for the full effect.

mvr5jkamjrilpp549nr6.jpg
rhiafk0dmdkwzr7fwplc.jpg
btv49kraox7m2uelkfx4.jpg

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow , killer grain ! Bet it sounds good just play it in the shadows lol

That is odd that it was used , wonder if it was by design perhaps ?

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The letter “Z” is stamped in to the back of the headstock

Doesn't that make this a factory second? I find the effect intriguing and since I don't have to look at while I am playing, I am not too bothered. But I feel much better knowing that who ever let this out into the wild knew it was "different".

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Doesn't that make this a factory second? I find the effect intriguing and since I don't have to look at while I am playing, I am not too bothered. But I feel much better knowing that who ever let this out into the wild knew it was "different".

I believe the "Z" in the back of the Headstock does make it a Factory Second. Regardless it is a cool piece to look at, almost like the two pieces of the top are from different pieces of Spruce instead of the normal runout we sometimes see in other book matched spruce top sets.

TX

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure I've ever seen more silking on a top than that treble side piece. I'd love to have seen this as a whole top with that kind of figuring. Yeah, this is definitely not a bookmatched piece of Sitka. Definitely why Westerly made this a factory second.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I actually think it's kind of cool, but it does make one wonder how that got built in the first place!

walrus

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I actually think it's kind of cool, but it does make one wonder how that got built in the first place!

walrus
I bet nobody noticed until it got to the finish room. Silking isn't that apparent in the white.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ooh that is my kinda crazy...just in time for Valentine's Day...is it love at first sight?

like a "pizza bagel" girlfriend that is half Italian and half Jewish...only the good half!!

too bad she is just a little big and heavy for me these days. although, after all, it is Valentine's Day :emmersed::emmersed::emmersed:

mike1100

Reaction score
I'm not sure I've ever seen more silking on a top than that treble side piece. I'd love to have seen this as a whole top with that kind of figuring. Yeah, this is definitely not a bookmatched piece of Sitka. Definitely why Westerly made this a factory second.

ANY guitar with silking such as that on BOTH sides would stop me dead in my tracks. I'd have to hear what it sounded like.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
If you saw this hanging in your local music store and it sounded good, would you buy it?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Then your buying guitars for the wrong reason 😁

For me, guitars are made to be heard, seen, touched and smelled. They are the most complete art form there is.
No factory seconds for me... you can have it :tongue-new:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
For me, guitars are made to be heard, seen, touched and smelled. They are the most complete art form there is.
No factory seconds for me... you can have it :tongue-new:

I feel the same but the ugly dog always wins ;)

geoguy

Reaction score
I assume that's simply a spectacular example of runout . . . maybe one of the wood experts on this forum can comment?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hard to imagine it's actually a bookmatched set. And as Chris says many times these traits only show up after finishing. However, you can always just wipe it down with denatured alcohol on the raw wood and it will give you a pretty good idea of what it will look like finished. It's strangely compelling!!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hard to imagine it's actually a bookmatched set.
They could be bookmatched but I think the sides somehow got out of correct orientation to each other before they glued 'em up and that was the result.
And bet it IS why it's a second.
Thank god for ugly dog rescuers.