NGD (belated)

Sands

Reaction score
My first acoustic was a Guild I bought at GC around 95. It was a new floor model D something or another CE. I have been trying to recall the model. It’s quite frustrating because I committed it to memory for many years. The USA model listed for
$2500, had a spruce top, and hog or RW sides and back. It was arched in the back. Anyway they gave me a great deal on it. It was such an amazing guitar. Had to sell it along the way. The sound of that guitar was unforgettable.

Well fast forward many years to this past month, and I picked up my second acoustic: a 65 F-30 burst with hog back and sides, spruce top and a sweet smelling RW fretboard. Dare I say Brazilian?

I knew it wouldly need work at $650: A headstock crack was repaired along the way. It had a few other issues I wasn’t aware of initially (Reverb). It seemed likely worth it, so I had a luthier go to work... the nut built up on one string, a brace repaired, the (unknown, grayish) saddle re seated and re routed, a new bone installed and the guitar set up and 50 years of funk and gunk removed. The frets are original, but they have some denting (known issue) near HS that does not effect play. Plenty of life. Action is low. It sounds amazing. I have some EB light strings on there. No buzz anywhere. The finish has some minor scratching and scuffs on the body and the neck reflects a lot of play.

I’m in it for $1000, including a nice new case that it fits perfectly. The repaired headstock doesn’t bother me. I’ve got my own repairs that have come along the way.

This is an amazing forum. I don’t know how to add pics though.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My first acoustic was a Guild I bought at GC around 95. It was a new floor model D something or another CE. I have been trying to recall the model. It’s quite frustrating because I committed it to memory for many years. The USA model listed for
$2500, had a spruce top, and hog or RW sides and back. It was arched in the back. Anyway they gave me a great deal on it. It was such an amazing guitar. Had to sell it along the way. The sound of that guitar was unforgettable.
Hi Sands welcome aboard!
I'm gonna guess it was a DCE-1 because of your mention that the sound was unforgettable.
It was the ce version of the D4, (Hand-Rubbed not high gloss finish) itself a slightly de-blinged version of the D25, one of Guild's most famous models.
There was also a DCE-1 High Gloss but think that was a couple years later than your memory date
There was a rosewood version, the DCE5, but owner reports are only about 50/50 on liking the sound.
I began to suspect maybe arched rosewood back might have been a bit of overkill and that's why it's so uncommon, with Guild at least.
Works a whole lot better on a 'hog or maple back, I think.
Well fast forward many years to this past month, and I picked up my second acoustic: a 65 F-30 burst with hog back and sides, spruce top and a sweet smelling RW fretboard. Dare I say Brazilian?
In '65 it was more likely than not.
Brazil hadn't started restricting export yet (Martin stopped using it in '67) so there was no compelling reason to look for alternatives, and we know Guild used Brazilian for backs and sides and even mixed with EIR as their stockpile dwindled, even into the early '70's, like '73 IIRC. And they had stock suitable for bridges (not sure about fretboards) even beyond that.
BTW, where you at? (you can edit your profile to show that).
Comes in handy to know sometimes if you ask questions that might have answers that vary by region like repair costs or proper humidification.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I’m in it for $1000, including a nice new case that it fits perfectly. The repaired headstock doesn’t bother me. I’ve got my own repairs that have come along the way.

Congrats! I think you came out on the winning end big time on this F30. Great!

Sands

Reaction score
313E9BAC-CE4A-4BB2-90D7-312E706D21AC_zpszadwr6hm.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
ah that just has character! great find. again, congrats...like the burst too.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here’s a pic - we are in NorCal.

313E9BAC-CE4A-4BB2-90D7-312E706D21AC_zpszadwr6hm.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo no work , tryt using imgur its easy and free .

ah that just has character! great find. again, congrats...like the burst too.

you been drinking Westerly ? what you looking at ? LOL maybe the pic loaded before photophobia caught but they did now LOL

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
you been drinking Westerly ? what you looking at ? LOL maybe the pic loaded before photophobia caught but they did now LOL

It WAS visible this morning and now it's not for me either.
Probably did slip by the Photof--ket screen for a while there.
@Sands:
What we're talking about is Photobucket's recent severe restrictions on users' ability to display pics.
Apparently they want a burdensome fee to allow that access and many members have told 'em where to put it.
Imgur seems to be a popular alternative here.

Sands

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info and positivity. #1 may have been a DCE 1 NT or HG. Seems like I remember it having a gloss finish. In looking at the pictures of that model, I want to say #1 had more binding and inlay than what I’m seeing, but time can do that to the memory I guess. Not a lot of photos on the web so far, but I’m on the right track. Anyway. It will come back to me some day. This 52 year old F-30 is simply magnificent.

Not sure what happened to the photo it was there a little while ago. I’ll try to figure it out!

Sands

Reaction score
It WAS visible this morning and now it's not for me either.
Probably did slip by the Photof--ket screen for a while there.
@Sands:
What we're talking about is Photobucket's recent severe restrictions on users' ability to display pics.
Apparently they want a burdensome fee to allow that access and many members have told 'em where to put it.
Imgur seems to be a popular alternative here.

Thanks! I’ll check it out!

Sands

Reaction score
Now all you've got to do is right click on the photo at imgur and "copy link location," then come back here and click the "insert image" button on the ribbon above the text box and paste in the link location, resulting in....

Nice score, Sands! And it's a nice burst!

Excellent! I've been doing this all on an iPhone with the Imgur app. Does not seem to work. I'll just have to upload pics thru the pc. Thanks!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info and positivity. #1 may have been a DCE 1 NT or HG. Seems like I remember it having a gloss finish. In looking at the pictures of that model, I want to say #1 had more binding and inlay than what I’m seeing, but time can do that to the memory I guess.
DCE-1HG would actually have been based on the D25 which did have binding and the pearloid logo inlaid in the headstock faceplate. Those were a couple of the details lacking on the early D4's that the "plain" DCE-1 was built from.
AFAIK DCE-5 was basically that same model with a rosewood back/sides, and I think the only arched rosewood back dreadnought Guild ever made.
But yeah I'm getting real intimate with those "erogenous, er, erroneous memory" issues now, myself.
Not a lot of photos on the web so far, but I’m on the right track. Anyway. It will come back to me some day.

From Westerlyguildguitars.com:

dce1.jpg

And the "HG":

dce1-hg.JPG

This 52 year old F-30 is simply magnificent.
LOTTA love for those 'round here for sure.
Never actually had one in my arms though.
Used to think one of those with a rosewood back was my pipedream guitar, but started loving my F40-based F65ce more and more.

sunpowder

Reaction score
JTaRyRgUbG1pdvV73
Congrats Sands.

The F30s from Hoboken are truly special. Mine is a '64 and has been played...er...a little bit. :glee:

Screen_Shot_2018-02-16_at_2.02.01_PM.png

Only for the last year or so, by me....but, boy do I THANK whomever played the magic into this one.

Sands

Reaction score
JTaRyRgUbG1pdvV73
Congrats Sands.

The F30s from Hoboken are truly special. Mine is a '64 and has been played...er...a little bit. :glee:

Screen_Shot_2018-02-16_at_2.02.01_PM.png

Only for the last year or so, by me....but, boy do I THANK whomever played the magic into this one.

WOW! What a beauty! Thanks for showing it off! Amazing.

Sands

Reaction score
AFAIK DCE-5 was basically that same model with a rosewood back/sides, and I think the only arched rosewood back dreadnought Guild ever made.
But yeah I'm getting real intimate with those "erogenous, er, erroneous memory" issues now, myself.

From Westerlyguildguitars.com:

dce1.jpg

And the "HG":

dce1-hg.JPG

LOTTA love for those 'round here for sure.
Never actually had one in my arms though.
Used to think one of those with a rosewood back was my pipedream guitar, but started loving my F40-based F65ce more and more.

I think it was the DCE-5. Either way, she's gone. Faster than the memory of her. :)

D-25 on the way, 1971.

I picked up a Seagull S-6 from 2002 today. It has approx a 1.8" neck width at the nut. Honestly, it makes a huge difference for me. Quality not close, but I do wish Guild offered a wider neck option.

Last edited: