F40 Valencia questions , Al ?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You have to put in a bit of time and effort to find an archived page that has specs. But for many old models through the 2000s this can be found just check all archived front pages for each year and click on the instrument/product links from there.

Are you saying on wayback there are archived pages of guild info ? I’m not seeing that or are you just saying a general web search ?

I do know ( or did ) that we both can search for the same thing and end up with different results , I call it the great google bubble . Lol

The collected data of my search’s stay within said bubble when something new enters said search you might get lucky but mostly likely there’s a big walkabout because it’s not within said bubble .

Ive seen first hand but I have admit it’s been a few years since I compared searches .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Are you saying on wayback there are archived pages of guild info ? I’m not seeing that or are you just saying a general web search ?
He means on Wayback.

It also occurs to me it may not be optimized for a mobile browser.
I know nothing about those.

But yes I think I understand what you're saying,
Earlier today I did try it out and also ran into a dead end when trying to find a mid-'03 price list.
ON my desktop I had to kind of scroll my palm cursor around the circle to see what that slice of the pie represents, and than click on what you want to see, then follow those links.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
He means on Wayback.

It also occurs to me it may not be optimized for a mobile browser.
I know nothing about those.

But yes I think I understand what you're saying,
Earlier today I did try it out and also ran into a dead end when trying to find a mid-'03 price list.
ON my desktop I had to kind of scroll my palm cursor around the circle to see what that slice of the pie represents, and than click on what you want to see, then follow those links.

Ahh I will try that . Hey check misc I’m gunna share something you like or maybe not it’s music from my fav group ;)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
One more question folks are the F40’s from NH and back Honduras mahogany?

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Westerlyguildguitars.com is your friend and has other years of price pages and articles, too, besides a great picture gallery.
And it's run by member(s) here.

Once I tried to provide the specs for my F-48 (when I owned it) to the Westerly website email address, but the info was never posted.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge both Tacoma and New Hartford were Honduran.

TX
Interesting as far as NH goes was Cites regulation not in force then ? I ask because it seems many already jumped to African Mahogany or Sapele .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Interesting as far as NH goes was Cites regulation not in force then ? I ask because it seems many already jumped to African Mahogany or Sapele .
I do recall a comment from Chaz that he had heard at one of the Let's Meet Guild functions that NH WAS exploring alternatives due to concerns about status/availability going forward.
Understand there are different categories of CITES listings, they aren't "one size fits all":
https://www.fws.gov/international/cites/cop16/fws-news-cites-101.pdf
Just because it's listed doesn't mean you can't get it.
Appendix I is reserved for species for which no commercial transactions are allowed because of threat of extinction, that's where Brazilian Rosewood is listed:
https://www.fws.gov/international/plants/current-cites-listings-of-tree-species.html
The majority of guitar/instrument woods are listed on "Appendix II" which only requires documentation the wood was legally harvested and the source. (Since different sources may have different national rules for export.)
3 types of 'hog have been listed since '75, '92 and '95.
I think the issue with true 'hog is more about cost than restricted availability and that's why yes we saw other makers going to African varieties even in the mid-90's, right after the 3rd western hemisphere species was listed.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

A lot of that had to do with cost Ray. They were trying to save a buck any way possible so the cheaper African variations such as Khaya and Sapele were used on the cheaper import instruments to keep cost down. However New Hartford themselves even verified that they were trying to create instruments that were of a Boutique production quality and level with their American made models. Hence the more expensive "Genuine Mahogany" on the Tacoma and New Hartford models.

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I do recall a comment from Chaz that he had heard at one of the Let's Meet Guild functions that NH WAS exploring alternatives due to concerns about status/availability going forward.
Understand there are different categories of CITES listings, they aren't "one size fits all":
https://www.fws.gov/international/cites/cop16/fws-news-cites-101.pdf
Just because it's listed doesn't mean you can't get it.
Appendix I is reserved for species for which no commercial transactions are allowed because of threat of extinction, that's where Brazilian Rosewood is listed:
https://www.fws.gov/international/plants/current-cites-listings-of-tree-species.html
The majority of guitar/instrument woods are listed on "Appendix II" which only requires documentation the wood was legally harvested and the source. (Since different sources may have different national rules for export.)
3 types of 'hog have been listed since '75, '92 and '95.
I think the issue with true 'hog is more about cost than restricted availability and that's why yes we saw other makers going to African varieties even in the mid-90's, right after the 3rd western hemisphere species was listed.

A lot of that had to do with cost Ray. They were trying to save a buck any way possible so the cheaper African variations such as Khaya and Sapele were used on the cheaper import instruments to keep cost down. However New Hartford themselves even verified that they were trying to create instruments that were of a Boutique production quality and level with their American made models. Hence the more expensive "Genuine Mahogany" on the Tacoma and New Hartford models.

TX

Thanks guys great info .😁