Boy this place is dull on the weekends!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I grew up in the '70s and '80s. People went to EVERY concert and hollered Freedbird!

I live in Texas and I can Honestly say after performing all over this Great State and others, they were still yelling "FreeBird!" in the 90's and 2000's as well. Probably Still yelling it today from what I gather. Nothing more satisfying though when they do that to break out and start playing the intro to "FreeBird" for about 45 seconds and then go straight into another song and never finish "Freebird". That really tweaks them, LOL!

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
On the original topic, moderation has its ebbs and flows and Monday mornings are often a time for concern because various people do not check LTG over the weekend and it is almost inevitable that they will restart a topic that caused concern but had tapered out by Saturday. Kind of like me responding to this thread?
I was kinda surprised at the title myself since I've frequently said all the good stuff happens on weekends.
Sometimes it's even deleted or at least locked by the time I get here.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Nothing more satisfying though when they do that to break out and start playing the intro to "FreeBird" for about 45 seconds and then go straight into another song and never finish "Freebird".
TX

Finally I can give Skynard some grudging respect.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I grew up in the '70s and '80s. People went to EVERY concert and hollered Freedbird!

Not me I hated freebird longest over played song in history ! I was going take my own life if I had to hear it again ! Thank the music Gods I discovered Newage music ! It was life saver 😁

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Not me I hated freebird longest over played song in history ! I was going take my own life if I had to hear it again ! Thank the music Gods I discovered Newage music ! It was life saver ��

Personally I called it "Free Base".

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not me I hated freebird longest over played song in history ! I was going take my own life if I had to hear it again ! Thank the music Gods I discovered Newage music ! It was life saver 

Hi Rayk

Be glad you were not in my shoes - working in a music store with about 700 guitars in stock - enter young dudes - "Sir, can we try guitars?" - "Yes , sure, this way." - after that it was either Freebird or Hairway to Steven .....

Every frickin´day.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Rayk

Be glad you were not in my shoes - working in a music store with about 700 guitars in stock - enter young dudes - "Sir, can we try guitars?" - "Yes , sure, this way." - after that it was either Freebird or Hairway to Steven .....

Every frickin´day.

What part of Freebird did they play?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Holy crap - that commercial was 30 years ago?

Yup, Hard to believe man. It is especially cool to go back and watch that for me being that "Sunshine" by Jonathan Edwards is on the "Freedom Rock" set and according to the gentleman I bought my F612 from as well as artifacts that were in the case, it was originally owned by Jonathan Edwards. So the story goes He purchased it New in 1971 after playing one of John Denver's F612's while on tour together. I promise you when I was in Junior high and that commercial was on it never crossed my mind that one day I would own one of the artists from that commercial's guitar. Weird how things happen and then you go back and watch something like that and have even more of a connection to it. Pretty cool if you ask me!

TX

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What part of Freebird did they play?

How should I know - I disliked Lynyrd Skynyrd - but I heard them dudes talk about it and they tried - and many were so novice, that it might have been Mary Had A Little Lamb and nobody and their cousin could possibly tell the difference. Same wit Hairway to Steven. Or most any other song. Anyway - Freebird was on the radio often and fortunately I had the mighty power to either turn it off or switch channel in my own car.

Fo each his/her own - I never said they were not good in their own genre or ballpark or wtf - many people do not care of my musical taste either ...

Peace

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Thank you for fine evening Andrés Segovia.

Now that is how you do a "mike drop" at the end of a story! I enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing a story about a great evening.

I arrived "late to the party" in my appreciation for classical guitars. And it happened by chance. About seven or eight years ago, a friend of mine and his wife were visiting a Goodwill Store looking for any deals, and he spotted a neglected Mark II. He is a guitarist/mandolinist and he knows that I like Guilds. So he bought it for me ($50). It was my first nylon string guitar.

It took me a while to get used to the wide nut and the flat fretboard... slowly but surely, though, I found myself reaching for the classical guitar more and more. I began to appreciate the light bracing of the soundboard, with the lush tones and gentle decay of the notes. And a surprising "growl" in the bass strings. This new found passion also directed me back toward finger-picking and singer/songwriters like James Taylor, Guy Clark and Simon & Garfunkel.

I also began to buy classical, bossa nova and samba CDs by artists like David Russell, Jason Vieaux, Sharon Isbin, Charlie Byrd, and Jose Luiz Bonfa that feature the nylon string guitar. There was a whole world of wonderful guitar music out there that I had been missing! Sadly, because of a mild case of arthritis in my left hand, I don't play the classical guitar that much any more, but it is a nice way to spend an evening in the living room finger-picking and singing.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeff,

My Dad had a parts car for my brother-in-laws family MKI GT6, but that project stalled when they stopped sending him money, but the parts car was sitting there. My wife said " I'll buy it. " and my Dad gave it to her. When we got into a deeper inspection, we found lots of body damage and rusted out places. So, we found a GT6 in a storage container that was all disassembled. I mean DISASSEMBLED as in all the parts were in tubs and boxes. But, it was cheaper to get this project car for the must better body than fix the body of the "parts car". Well, then to keep the paper work cleaner, we decided the parts car would stay a parts car and we'd rebuild the 1969 instead.

Here is a shot of the body and "bonnet and wings" after I hosed them down. You can see the orange parts car and the now rusty original car in the background...
GT6_Clean.JPG

Here is a shot of the chassis on a rotisserie my Dad got off of CraigsList to use to put all the parts back on it..

Rotisserie1.JPG

We have made progress since these pictures, but not any huge changes. Many of the parts in the boxes must have been for a Triumph Spitfire 1500. We found this out when parts didn't match the new ones we bought. Luckily... we have a parts car.