My First Hoboken Guild

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I bought me another guitar (imagine!) and I haven't even posted the NGD from the other one I just got! Look for that one in the solidbody section in a little bit.

Anyway this one's got me a bit excited because not only is it a Hoboken Guild, it's my first ever birth-year guitar. I always thought that was sort of an odd thing to do, but what the hell, right? And it's in great shape just like me! -cough-

I got started down this path first by seeing that '66 in Guitar Center that you all mostly talked me out of. Then i got obsessed with the Anti-Hum pickups and then I saw that this was advertised as a '63 but the serial number sure looks like a '64 both according to the Guild website and to Hans' book, so I bought it. The guy was fantastic to deal with and sent me a pile of HD videos as he sat with it and I chatted with him online in real-time. Honestly it was one of the best buying experiences I've ever had.

https://reverb.com/item/7271137-196...-condition-loud-acoustically-sweet-make-offer

No, i didn't pay that much, and no the amp didn't come with it. :)

jpmjsb3ohrmmuelb9h0r.jpg

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I hope that Hans is wrong this time. That said....great looking Guild and very cool! The photography setup and amp...awesome.

F312

Reaction score
That is great looking. Looks brand new from here.

Ralph

F312

Reaction score
If it is refinished, they did a excellent complete job on it, fret board, headstock, pickguard etc..

Ralph

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
They guy is really cool and stopped packing it, took it out and shot a vid with his iPhone and a flashlight. The inside of the F-hole is red and the label is clearly sprayed over.

The guitar seems otherwise in great shape which raises the question of what's a refin do to the price.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have the 68 version and l finally had Chris Seger reset the neck on it. I love that guitar.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
The standard line on pre-war Martin and Gibson acoustic guitars is that it reduces the value 50%. I don't know exactly how to apply that "rule of thumb" to a laminate, arched top, electric guitar from the 60's.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
They guy is really cool and stopped packing it, took it out and shot a vid with his iPhone and a flashlight. The inside of the F-hole is red and the label is clearly sprayed over.

The guitar seems otherwise in great shape which raises the question of what's a refin do to the price.
And it's still a Hoboken, right? A birth year Hoboken, no less. As someone said, if it is a refin, it looks great.

We'll all be on the edge of our seats on this one, so good luck. :encouragement:
Joe

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
And it's still a Hoboken, right? A birth year Hoboken, no less. As someone said, if it is a refin, it looks great.

We'll all be on the edge of our seats on this one, so good luck. :encouragement:
Joe

I think I have too many guitar adventures. :chargrined:

idealassets

Reaction score
I disagree that a quality refinish job is a desecration to a guitar. The truth be known we can all dream about a "mint condition" early guitar out there- just waiting for us to buy it, but we may be in the hunt for a very long time.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, I told the guy that if it was a refin then I had cause to doubt the pickups too because they look too new. Sure enough he pulled the bridge pickup and it's a NS replacement. He says he's had the guitar for a few years and had no idea. He's legitimately bummed.

On the plus side I might get a deal on a '64 Starfire that's been refin'd and has replacement pickups. :biggrin-new:

I do have a set of AntiHums from a '66 Starfire that I bought some time ago...