Stone Me If You Want To

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So, I'm an old guy with average or below playing skills who just loves everything about guitars, especially acoustic guitars.

I set off on a journey about 15 years ago to buy, play and accumulate as many different Guild models as I could. I was fairly successful. I think I've owned about as many different ones as I possibly could. Still some out there I'm chasing but chances aren't all that good I'll find them.

So, here's the part where you can stone me. I love Guild and consider them the best bang for the buck, quality and consistent guitar out there of any made in the USA Manufacturer. But, knowing I don't have a ton of time left here on this earth I decided to also do the same thing with Gibson and Martin. I've been real active there for 2+ years or so. Of course, that takes cash so I've been selling off really nice Guild pieces to fund my latest addiction.

I've built up a pretty seriously nice collection of Gibsons and Martins in the process. I haven't been disappointed often but I did find one clunker deal. I bought a 2006 Gibson J 160 E John Lenon Peace model. It's really pretty and in great shape but the sound is horrible. It's just thin, reedy and has no soul whatsoever. I know you take a risk everytime you buy on line sight unseen but to this point I've been really successful and more than happy with my purchases. Not with this one however.

I think for someone who would use it as a stage guitar, plugged in, it would work great but for my purposes, 90% being unplugged and acoustic only, it just doesn't work.

So, I'll be taking a hit on this one but life moves on and I'm sure there are more seriously wonderful guitars I'll be owning in the near future. The J 160E just isn't one of them.

I haven't given up or walked away from Guild. I still love the brand, it's my favorite and I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for them. I will also have at least 10 of them with me when it's my time to check out.

So, I've felt a bit guilty and wanted to "fess up" and give ya'll an opportunity to start throwing stones. (don't throw too hard though)

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had a clunker Guild recently... and it was a New Hartford!

Everybody has a bad (guitar building) day occasionally :heart-borken:

I won't be throwin' any stones.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...I've built up a pretty seriously nice collection of Gibsons and Martins in the process.

You can have the Martins, but I've got to pick me up a nice Gibson of some sort one of these days. Nothing wrong with that. I had a nice Gibson Songwriter Deluxe 12-string for a few minutes, but returned it due to a big crack in the soundboard.

I bought a 2006 Gibson J 160 E John Lenon Peace model. It's really pretty and in great shape but the sound is horrible....

I've got the Epiphone version - EJ160E - with the Lennon signature. It probably cost 5-10 times less than your Gibson. The sound and electronics are not great, but I won't be selling it, regardless.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No stones from me! Only 50% of my guitars are Guilds!

walrus

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Let he without guitars cast the first stone."

Or something like that.

They're guitars - that's the important thing.

Now if you said you sold all of your guitars to build a collection of cowbells, well that's a different matter.

I suspect you'd be subject to an igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary hailstorm right about now.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So, I've felt a bit guilty and wanted to "fess up" and give ya'll an opportunity to start throwing stones. (don't throw too hard though)

They say confession is good for the soul but you're beyond redemption.
I condemn thee to the realm of flatulents, er, flagellants.
On second thought, the flatulents're probably worse.
Hie thee there and don't call us for another 15 years.

matsickma

Reaction score
Believe it or not but I have an old "Picadore" which is a "Sigma" second from the days when Martin first went over seas to have bargain prices on their entry line of acoustics. I bought it in '70 and still have it today. Played the dickens out of it through High School, College and beyond. When I first got out of college my first working tax return was used to purchase a Guild D40CE. Never bonded with that guitar but still have the Picadore only now the spruce front is damage from the days of young children and I pealed off the Picadore lable to expose the side ways capital "M" or Greek capital "Sigma" symbol.
The neck and bridge are a little messed up these days so this is my capo acoustic.
Sweet sounding guitar. The Guild D-40CE was sold off a long time ago.
M

F312

Reaction score
Have you Played it lately? Try different strings. I once didn't care for a Guild once and blamed it on the nut size , 1 3/4", set it in the closet and sat there a few years. One day I pulled it out and played it and bonded with it right away, then immediately put new strings on it and now it's one of the best guitars I have and to think I was thinking of letting it go. Maybe you just want to get stoned.

Ralph

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
The original J-160 E, introduced in the 1950's, was designed mainly to respond as as electric guitar. It had a three-ply spruce top and lateral bracing, and therefore does not sound as good acoustically as the X-braced, slope shoulder, dreadnought guitars. I don't know anything about the soundboard and bracing pattern of the re-issue guitars.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Naw, man - instruments are deeply personal things. I'm surprised I don't get stoned because I don't own a Guild acoustic! My only acoustic is a Taylor that I adore.

idealassets

Reaction score
At one immaculate point in time Guitar Center in Saginaw, MI had 1- Gibson SJ200, and 2- Gibson "Tea Burst" J45's hanging in the rack. I played them all, and especially loved either of those burst guitars. But no such guitars were to be found there the last time that I stopped in.

So I am suspect to being stoned, however at your first post I thought you were referring to that Bob Dylan song Rainy Day Women or something.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Richard, Don't feel bad. There are great guitars out there that aren't Guilds and there is no shame in playing whatever floats your Chicken or chokes your boat or whatever that saying is, LOL! I have to ask though, did you ever buy one of those Limited Special run Viper Blue Gibson Jumbos with all the inlays on them that we posted about awhile back? I would be really interested to know how that turned out if you did. Take it easy man and play what makes your heart happy in the moment for the moments we have are forever too short not to enjoy.

TX

bobouz

Reaction score
No stones from me, especially since Mr. Fed-Ex just delivered a very sweet J-50 custom!

I get equally excited about Guilds & Gibsons - Martins not so much. You only go around once, so enjoy whatever comes your way.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you feel like a Guild - sometimes you don't. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I have Guilds and Martins in the acoustic stack. Not a big fan of contemporary Gibson acoustic guitars, but there is a Les Paul in the house.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
As my signature indicates, all of my five Guilds are courtesy of Richard. He has great taste in guitars, whatever the brand. I have the good fortune of his friendship, as many others also have had. Long may you run, Richard!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Even though I was a long time un-Guilded, ex-Guilder (but still Guild-fan), I still remained an active forum member. Now I am a Guild-lifer with a sentimental, unbreakable connection to a beautiful and relatively unique transitional 1970 Guild Starfire bass. Regardless, this community is built on the appreciation of Guilds, but also a passion for music and instruments in general. There is no Guild-ownership pre-requisite (at least not that I know of)!

All that said, I still get stoned pretty regularly.
Sorry, I had to ;)