What's In a Model Name?

bobouz

Reaction score
Here is my take.
As Guild owners and part time fanatics, we don't like change.
The thing is, we are not the target that Guild is aiming for.
Sadly, I think you've got that right.

But to me, utilizing your brand's historical models as a foundation makes a lot of sense - and it does still seem to matter to a lot of folks.

The D-28 & J-45 continue to provide the backbone of Martin & Gibson, with no end in sight. And the list of spin-off models derived from these icons creates endless marketing opportunities. Same with the Tele, Strat, Les Paul, and ES-335 on the electric side.

Cordoba, you've got the F-50R sitting there in your back pocket - use it!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
no fair ! where that heck did that wood come from ? lol

A really old or crooked tree, LOL! Mine was made on Jan 20, 2011 so it is one of the first of The Standard series which from what I have seen all had Phenomenal Wood selection not to mention full Gloss Nitro bodies.

Tx, very nice, that is a good one.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph! The seller's photo really doesn't do it justice as the coloring is much more rich in person. Hopefully I can get that to transfer well to a photo for the NGD post. I am extremely pleased with the quality of everything and the tone that this one has but then again it is a New Hartford model and "over the top" is what I have come to expect from them. Always a step above my expectations!

TX

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I kind of liked the F48 imposter's tone LOL
so I copy and past just for fun
Honduran Mahogany – Swietenia macrophylla
Honduran-Mahogany

The mid-range frequency is the sweet spot for most acoustic guitars, and Honduran Mahogany is a mid-range powerhouse. It’s also prized for volume, balance and articulation, making it one of the best all around tonewoods there is. Honduran Mahogany yields a crisp fundamental sound, with a pleasing bloom of mid-range overtones. This makes for a very clean and direct sound, that is described as focused, dry, woody, and warm.

African Mahogany – Khaya senegalensis
African-Mahogany

African Mahogany has a warm “woody” tone that accentuates the mid-range frequencies. Like all Mahogany, it’s unique internal dampening qualities create tonal balance and a crisp strong fundamental. African Mahogany is slightly stiffer and harder than Central American varieties, which expands it’s frequency response, and increases the production of overtones.
Another kudo for your materials research, sir!
Dang if that's true then the African stuff is probably better than the Swietenias.
It occurs to me that possibly the only reason it predominated in the wood trade was that it was far more easily obtained than African varieties back when it was first gaining widespread acceptance.
But I still say Oxnard shoulda called their F40 an F55 Hog.
Harley owners'd be an instant market.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Another kudo for your materials research, sir!
Dang if that's true then the African stuff is probably better than the Swietenias.
It occurs to me that possibly the only reason it predominated in the wood trade was that it was far more easily obtained than African varieties back when it was first gaining widespread acceptance.
But I still Oxnard shoulda called their F40 an F55 Hog.
Harley owners'd be an instant market.

I agree

I’m thinking the difference between African and Honduran is much like EIR and Brazilian rosewood where Brazilian is said to have more sparkling highs , EIR being a warmer tone .

Jumping way ahead I’m wondering what tonal differences would be between African and Santos rosewood .

I can’t help it I have to ask lol

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking the difference between African and Honduran is much like EIR and Brazilian rosewood where Brazilian is said to have more sparkling highs , EIR being a warmer tone .

Jumping way ahead I’m wondering what tonal differences would be between African and Santos rosewood .

I can’t help it I have to ask lol

Hey yer on yer own here, that's your specialty, fella.

original.gif
(Whack)

Br1ck

Reaction score
Guild isn't the only one messing with their history. When I was looking for a Gibson slope, I was appalled at how many guitars they were hanging the J 45 name on. Rosewood J 45? Get real.

jcwu

Reaction score
When I used to work for BMW, we had the 3 series, the 5 series, the 7 series and the 8 series...

I remember those days, drooling over the BMWs, and you knew exactly what the model number stood for. The higher the number, the higher the price tag! :)

jcwu

Reaction score
Here is my take.
As Guild owners and part time fanatics, we don't like change.
It's confusing and just doesn't make any sense.
The thing is, we are not the target that Guild is aiming for.

Someone new to guitar playing walks into a guitar shop and played a bunch of guitars.
Eventually that person buys the guitar that they like the best for the best price.
This person doesn't care what the model of the guitar is.
Most won't even care what brand it is.

This is their target.

I agree with this completely!!!

....which then begs the question, if these new Guild converts don't/won't care what the model name is, what benefit is there to changing the model name?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have to laugh I started looking into the F40 Valencia and bam ! There’s brand new ones for sale ! , no wait that’s the F40 er jumbo thing yeah , let the chaos begin lol

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have to laugh I started looking into the F40 Valencia and bam ! There’s brand new ones for sale ! , no wait that’s the F40 er jumbo thing yeah , let the chaos begin lol

Your search was picking up on all F40 connections.
The new one is based on the "F48 Navarre" the Navarre name was originally applied to F50's, and Valencia was originally applied to F40's.
So maybe what we should focus on is that Corodoba can make Navarres but haven't announced any Valencias.
You'd think having so many orange groves in their backyard they could fix that.

....which then begs the question, if these new Guild converts don't/won't care what the model name is, what benefit is there to changing the model name?

Well for one thing they won't get confused and think they're buying juice.