What's In a Model Name?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Since one of our favorite pastimes is decoding Guild's mysterious and mercurial model-naming conventions, and since I recently vented my own spleen about Cordoba calling an F48 re-issue an F40, this little quote in today's Autoweek kind of resonated with me:
"I think I've finally figured out BMW's nonsensical car naming strategy: Product planners have decided it doesn't matter what the car is called, as long as it represents the perfect niche vehicle for a particular customer at the moment that customer walks into a BMW dealership"

So I guess if it's good enough for Munchen it's good enough for Cordoba.

On the other hand this outfit, cited in CNN this AM, really really really needs to re-think their branding...
"The global bond bubble is leaking air," Peter Boockvar, chief investment officer at Bleakley Advisory Group, wrote in a note to clients after the Treasury auction.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I disagree that it’s a good thing. With these type of letter/number names, there’s no real benefit of one name over another; F48 is just as good as F40. Martin has used the same model designations for a century or longer; there’s no question of what you’ll be getting. Córdoba is just seemingly oblivious to any sense of continuity while claiming to bring back models from the past; at least as far as the US output.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree with Chris. An F-50 is an F-50, regardless of where or when made.
Goes for all the models. (Should have never been a JF65 or JF55...just upgraded F-50 or F-50R. IMHO)
And Guild kinda muddied the waters with the "Westerly Collection" and the "GAD" series of imports by giving them similar model designations to the Made in US ones. So, to the uninitiated, there's lots of confusion to what a Guild actually is.
And now, apparently, the tradition continues...

Reaction score
Since one of our favorite pastimes is decoding Guild's mysterious and mercurial model-naming conventions, and since I recently vented my own spleen about Cordoba calling an F48 re-issue an F40, this little quote in today's Autoweek kind of resonated with me:
"I think I've finally figured out BMW's nonsensical car naming strategy: Product planners have decided it doesn't matter what the car is called, as long as it represents the perfect niche vehicle for a particular customer at the moment that customer walks into a BMW dealership"

So I guess if it's good enough for Munchen it's good enough for Cordoba.

On the other hand this outfit, cited in CNN this AM, really really really needs to re-think their branding...
"The global bond bubble is leaking air," Peter Boockvar, chief investment officer at Bleakley Advisory Group, wrote in a note to clients after the Treasury auction.

When I used to work for BMW, we had the 3 series, the 5 series, the 7 series and the 8 series...and then came the X series...it was all very logical and well thought out. Now I look around and see 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s, hybrids, x's...uber cars...all very confusing and overlapping. Glad I'm out actually!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
So.....now that a goodly number of LTGers are chiming in, may I humbly ask you all whether you think the jumbo F-40 will float?

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So.....now that a goodly number of LTGers are chiming in, may I humbly ask you all whether you think the jumbo F-40 will float?
I think it will float but will have to "tread water" to stay afloat. More guitar choices today than ever before.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
renaming the F-20 the M-40 just can't be a good thing. I don't care who's fault it is, who's idea it was, or how many times Guild changed model designations in the past. the F-20 never changed names. At some point there was a long scale version, and possibly some archbacks. but they have all been F-20's until now..that is on CMG...the "M-40?" the M-20 is still the M-20...so the "M" in M-40 would presumably mean a mahogany top. it does not, obviously. the "40" also makes no sense at all. changing the F-20 (which has recently had a resurgence in popularity) to the M-40 is unquestionably one of the absolute worst marketing moves I can ever recall knowing about. just a bad idea, all around. i'd never buy the M-40 just based on that. sure i'd play one...I would just never buy one. I flirted with the idea of an Oxnard M-20, but at this point CMG/Oxard Guild would have to establish a legacy equal to the prior Guild factories, before I'd invest in one of thier offerings. I'm sure they are great players, just not what most people are looking for in that budget zone. For some, it will make no difference (the model name) i'm just not one of those people when it comes to the holy grail of all acoustics, the F-20.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maybe we need to gang up on Córdoba and ask WTF ? Lol

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe we need to gang up on Córdoba and ask WTF ? Lol
Remember when Córdoba had just bought Guild, and they had someone log in here, and seemed interested in our input?

Good times, good times.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Remember when Córdoba had just bought Guild, and they had someone log in here, and seemed interested in our input?

Good times, good times.

Yeah then Ren quit ! Lol

Ooo who was that let’s look them up !

I did just email them but I went through Córdoba instead of Guild as my phone call and few questions I asked a while back went unanswered. 😠

So I gave them the good O’l what for ! Lol
I also said we ( not named for my protection ) are doing the finger to the eye’s back and forth thing we’re watching you ! Lmao

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Inconsistency is the new consistency.
So long as most Westerly RI labels look like kids with crayons signed them, I am good.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

That is what Boat paddles are supposed to do right, Float? At least the good ones are anyway, LOL.

On a more serious note about the New F40 Jumbo, while I am a fan of a Spruce and Hog Jumbo, (My Orpheum Jumbo is one of my All time Favorites) I am not a fan of the M&T Neck Joint, Satin Catalyzed Varnish finish, or "African Mahogany" (In other words not Mahogany) back and sides. I haven't played an F40 yet because my local dealer hasn't ordered one yet due to the fact they don't want to have it on the shop wall forever like a M20 that is still there. Even as scarce as the original F48's are you still see them from time to time selling for around $1000-$1200 in really good playing condition. I have heard the video for the F40 and it doesn't sound Bad but it also doesn't sound like $1599 + shipping which is what they are selling them for.

Honestly with the features of the new F40 and wood choices it seems more like $800-$1000 guitar to me. For instance, I just recently purchased a New Hartford F212XL Standard in like new condition with the case and all the goodies. The F212XL would be the 12 string equivalent to the New F40 Jumbo with these upgrades. Mine actually has a Bear claw Spruce top, Gorgeously figured Honduran Mahogany (Real Mahogany) Back and sides, Scalloped Adirondack Bracing, Gloss Nitro finished Body with a satin Nitro finished neck, Dovetail Neck Joint, and enclosed Gotoh Tuners. Add in the quality of the builders at New Hartford and you have an Amazing American Made Spruce and Hog Guild Jumbo that I paid far less for then the asking price of the new F40 Jumbo. In my opinion the F212XL is twice the guitar in quality of build and materials offered than the new F40 Jumbo.

Once again this is just my opinion and others may vary. It is going to take a long time for me to drop some coin on anything Oxnard made after playing and inspecting a fair bit of the guitars they have put out there.

TX

F312

Reaction score
That is what Boat paddles are supposed to do right, Float? At least the good ones are anyway, LOL.

On a more serious note about the New F40 Jumbo, while I am a fan of a Spruce and Hog Jumbo, (My Orpheum Jumbo is one of my All time Favorites) I am not a fan of the M&T Neck Joint, Satin Catalyzed Varnish finish, or "African Mahogany" (In other words not Mahogany) back and sides. I haven't played an F40 yet because my local dealer hasn't ordered one yet due to the fact they don't want to have it on the shop wall forever like a M20 that is still there. Even as scarce as the original F48's are you still see them from time to time selling for around $1000-$1200 in really good playing condition. I have heard the video for the F40 and it doesn't sound Bad but it also doesn't sound like $1599 + shipping which is what they are selling them for.

Honestly with the features of the new F40 and wood choices it seems more like $800-$1000 guitar to me. For instance, I just recently purchased a New Hartford F212XL Standard in like new condition with the case and all the goodies. The F212XL would be the 12 string equivalent to the New F40 Jumbo with these upgrades. Mine actually has a Bear claw Spruce top, Gorgeously figured Honduran Mahogany (Real Mahogany) Back and sides, Scalloped Adirondack Bracing, Gloss Nitro finished Body with a satin Nitro finished neck, Dovetail Neck Joint, and enclosed Gotoh Tuners. Add in the quality of the builders at New Hartford and you have an Amazing American Made Spruce and Hog Guild Jumbo that I paid far less for then the asking price of the new F40 Jumbo. In my opinion the F212XL is twice the guitar in quality of build and materials offered than the new F40 Jumbo.

Once again this is just my opinion and others may vary. It is going to take a long time for me to drop some coin on anything Oxnard made after playing and inspecting a fair bit of the guitars they have put out there.

TX

May we see the backside of your F212XL please.

Ralph

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
May we see the backside of your F212XL please.

Ralph

I am going to post a NGD for it soon so I'll take some photos of it and get them up. For now here is a photo from the seller I bought it from to hold you over.

royu7mmngcvexijnzb3c.jpg

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
2013 F212xl back side pics

BZxkYh9.jpg
[/IMG]

tpBWPx1.jpg
[/IMG]

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am going to post a NGD for it soon so I'll take some photos of it and get them up. For now here is a photo from the seller I bought it from to hold you over.

royu7mmngcvexijnzb3c.jpg

TX

no fair ! where that heck did that wood come from ? lol

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Here is my take.
As Guild owners and part time fanatics, we don't like change.
It's confusing and just doesn't make any sense.
The thing is, we are not the target that Guild is aiming for.

Someone new to guitar playing walks into a guitar shop and played a bunch of guitars.
Eventually that person buys the guitar that they like the best for the best price.
This person doesn't care what the model of the guitar is.
Most won't even care what brand it is.

This is their target.

F312

Reaction score
Tx, very nice, that is a good one.

Ralph

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I kind of liked the F48 imposter's tone LOL
so I copy and past just for fun
Honduran Mahogany – Swietenia macrophylla
Honduran-Mahogany

The mid-range frequency is the sweet spot for most acoustic guitars, and Honduran Mahogany is a mid-range powerhouse. It’s also prized for volume, balance and articulation, making it one of the best all around tonewoods there is. Honduran Mahogany yields a crisp fundamental sound, with a pleasing bloom of mid-range overtones. This makes for a very clean and direct sound, that is described as focused, dry, woody, and warm.

African Mahogany – Khaya senegalensis
African-Mahogany

African Mahogany has a warm “woody” tone that accentuates the mid-range frequencies. Like all Mahogany, it’s unique internal dampening qualities create tonal balance and a crisp strong fundamental. African Mahogany is slightly stiffer and harder than Central American varieties, which expands it’s frequency response, and increases the production of overtones.