How Many LTGers Perform at Open Mics Regularly?

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I'm curious as to how many of us regularly perform at open mics, and if so, how many regularly play their Guilds?

RC

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Used to, always with my Guild, but not in a long time. I miss it, need to get back to it.

walrus

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I do, almost every week. I usually bringg my Tacoma F30 or my NH D50, but my D25, my Corona D50, my Songbird, and my GAD-F20 have also made appearances (as have, on very rare occasions, my G312 and my Orpheum slope-shouldered mahogany dread). And when I played one for my 50th birthday in July 2014, I brought my 1964 F20 (it was one of two 1964 Guilds at the open mic that evening).

Reaction score
I don't regularly play, but I've been to a couple in the last few months. Now that I'm no longer working, I may start going on a more regular basis. It usually ends up being a late night and I just couldn't pull it off when I was working. I've used my D40 and OM-140CE. The later one is easier to amplify, so I tend to bring it more often.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I also play practically every week, at least once, sometimes more. Charlottesville and the surrounding area supports many open mics. I tend to circulate through the five Guilds I have, depending on the mood of the song(s). Three are amplified, so I'll use one of them in a venue that offers amped sound. Otherwise, I actually prefer performing without an amp...as the Guild balance of tonal richness, plus the overtones sound better without an amp, IMO.

ezstrummer

Reaction score
I don't play open mics, but I play out on weekly basis in a worship band at night for the youth group. I usually play my Breedlove it just sounds better going through our PA system. I have played my Guild out a few times. Its a 79' so I have sound hole PU for it. It just doesn't have that same great booming sound that it does when its un plugged.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't play open mics, but I play out on weekly basis in a worship band at night for the youth group. I usually play my Breedlove it just sounds better going through our PA system. I have played my Guild out a few times. Its a 79' so I have sound hole PU for it. It just doesn't have that same great booming sound that it does when its un plugged.

I play my '71 D25 Br with a K&K mini passive pup, straight into the mix, no coloring at all. Sounds awesome! Saturday night service, sometimes backing up my wife who leads Wednesdays. She plays the Cruz.

the other guitarists smile when I tell them it cost 200 bucks in 1971 :) The tone far surpasses that price, though to be fair, I have sunk way too much into it...

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
I bring my D25 (it's my only acoustic). Sometimes I play using microphone amplification, sometimes using the pickup (a Dean Markley Sweet Spot undersaddle). The pickup is somewhat treble-biased, but the sound person knows me, and adjusts the EQ accordingly. I never use effects, although the PA adds a bit of reverb.

I used to be a weekly regular at my favourite venue, but I've gotten lazy lately. I'll have to get back more often (once it warms up & stops snowing!)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I never played for anyone less you count trees and wildlife ...... plus if I did play out I’d get fired pretty quick as everyone would fall a sleep from my music . Lol

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I respectfully beg to differ.

:). I go to fix the buzzing at 12th fret of the b/e strings. could be a neck thing, not sure. no matter how much relief i give it, max'd out even, still get the high b/e strings flattening out. thoughts on what it could be?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
:). I go to fix the buzzing at 12th fret of the b/e strings. could be a neck thing, not sure. no matter how much relief i give it, max'd out even, still get the high b/e strings flattening out. thoughts on what it could be?

High frets on that side above the 12th. If they were dressed, maybe not lowered enough up there?
And if you don't use any of 'em above the 14th, couldn't hurt to have 'em taken down a bit.
PS have you not mentioned previously, you're postponing a fret job?
Is the fret kinda notched up there at the 12th, thus making 'em even lower compared to the frets above?
Or do you mean they're buzzing on the 12th when you fret down below the 12th?
Still think same 2 issues are worth checking, except that maybe it's the 12th itself that's too high.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also no Open Mics, but I usually play out one a month with my band NIGHT SHIFT.

(That would be me playing the Guild Pilot bass)

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool vid Grot!

But square videos are the work of the Devil. :tongue-new:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
PS have you not mentioned previously, you're postponing a fret job?

Or do you mean they're buzzing on the 12th when you fret down below the 12th?

Yes to both of the above Al, if that helps you troubleshoot what it could be. I doubt I will do the fret work any time soon.
But when i fret the B or E, more the wicked thin .12 E at the 12th, it like drops out, buzzes and has a real lame sound. The .16 is better but still has buzzing and so does the G string. Again, I bet medium gauge strings will solve it but my finger pads just can't abide :)

Playing John Pearse PB lights (600L) right now, I really like them or the DA EJ16s, either are fine. The JPs are grittier and meaner, so I like those better. Anyway, .12-.53. .24 G. I mostly play in first 7-9 frets anyway, but it is just a pebble in the shoe, ya know?

thanks old friend for any advise you can give. I just did a truss adj as i read that too much bow can cause this. While i love the action now, it did not solve the buzzing at #12.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Thanks, no choice on the square video. Just glad I was able to pirate it off of facebook as it was recorded as a live stream! Not sure about the Devil remark, but it doesn't bother me!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
thanks old friend for any advise you can give. I just did a truss adj as i read that too much bow can cause this. While i love the action now, it did not solve the buzzing at #12.

Because of that "Dropout" I'm wondering if saddle and/or nut slot are actually a tad too low, but since you like the action I still say the frets above the 12th might be too high, or at least that would be a fix for it.
Only other thing that occurs to me is that the neck may be a bit twisted.
BOth of those need a guy who knows how to measure that stuff accurately and I'm at the limit of my guesses.
Oh. One more thought, again because of the "dropping out", that 12th fret is precisely half the string length, creating a perfect harmonic, maybe there's something going on with bracing ?
Starting to recall now somebody describing a similar prob with a GAD and the luthier saying some guitars are just like that, that they get phase cancellation at certain points on the board at standard tuning.
But OI don't remember buzzing being part of the prob in that one.
Only ever recall buzzing being a fret problem and occasionally nut slot and/or saddle.
I saddle profiled correctly? (again, if you don't know what neck profile actually IS, then you need a guy with the right tools again.)
Also, is saddle properly angled on back side to give nice sharp edge on side facing nut? Is it getting wear slots?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Cool vid Grot!

HAH!
He ought be glad his girlfriend didn't try to capture 'im in "Landscape mode" and it's coming out sideways.
I learned that one the hard way.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
I rarely play not on an open mike but often on open jamsessions, here in a studio in hamburg in dec 2016 with my old modded pilot bass: