Guild Announces Three New Acoustic Guitars

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice! But no more ebony fretboards?

So my like-new burst F50R is practically the same as the "new" burst F55, which is valued at $3,899.99 Street • $4,870 MSRP. Sweet!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
F40 looks like a matte finish, no not yet nitro.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I’m liking the F40 but kind of feel it should have the same appointments as the F55R or make a F55M . I like the 1,500ish street price .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I’m liking the F40 but kind of feel it should have the same appointments as the F55R or make a F55M . I like the 1,500ish street price .

W-e-e--ll... As I've said before it ain't really an F40 it's an F48.
The F55M is gonna be the F55 with maple back (old F50)
IF they had used the 16" lower bout spec that defined REAL F40's maybe they wouldn't have had the problem of how to designate an F50 (17" lower bout) with a 'hog back/sides.
I coulda told 'em easily enough, had they thought to ask:
It's really an F55-Hog.
They didn't even give it a chesterfield.
Yeesh.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cougar, where are you getting that the fretboard isn't ebony anymore?

Sorry - I was just going by the looks of it. The GuitarWorld webpage did say the F40 had a rosewood board but was silent on the F55. If it was going to be ebony, you'd think they'd mention it! Adorshki's link does say ebony.

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Yeesh.
Yes, sure would like to see them do a real 16" F-40.

And add that chesterfield.
Plus block inlays.

Oh, and short scale!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
The F55M is gonna be the F55 with maple back (old F50)
IF they had used the 16" lower bout spec that defined REAL F40's maybe they wouldn't have had the problem of how to designate an F50 (17" lower bout) with a 'hog back/sides.
I coulda told 'em easily enough, had they thought to ask:
It's really an F55-Hog.
Yeesh.

As I said earlier, I don't understand why they're marketing what is essentially a mid-1970s F-48, especially since that model (I owned one and enjoyed playing it with the LR Baggs pickup) wasn't embraced by the buyers! Maybe they've sensed the public's aspirations have changed....or, is it a marketing strategy based on changing up the game now and then? My F-40 GSR cocobolo feels nice and comfy in my hands, precisely because of its dimensions. Go figure?

RC

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, even though I think it's really cool, Rich, and would be on my list if I were growing my collection, I think you're right. I doubt they'll sell many. Martin has had very little luck selling their Grand J model (very similar to a Guild jumbo), as I think there's just not a big market out there for 'em.

You're super lucky to have one of those F-40 GSRs, Rich. Gorgeous and I'm sure it's a keeper.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, they say
Guild has re-introduced the F-40 jumbo acoustic, a staple of the career of many singer/songwriters in the Sixties and Seventies.
One of the reasons it was popular was that it’s smaller 16” size was more comfortable and more conducive for a fingerpicking style.

Cordoba is just throwing names around, not even looking at the original specs.

Nothing that they’ve produced in Oxnard is for me, and I doubt that’ll change.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes, they say
One of the reasons it was popular was that it’s smaller 16” size was more comfortable and more conducive for a fingerpicking style.
That's gotta be at least part of it.
Cordoba is just throwing names around, not even looking at the original specs.

Nothing that they’ve produced in Oxnard is for me, and I doubt that’ll change.

OK to be fair they do acknowledge it's supposed to be a reissue F48 Navarre, the point is still that the F48 was a 17" bout instrument. An F40 never was.
As for popularity, maybe the F48 failed because the world didn't really need a 17" flat back hog jumbo.
But the F40 in all its various derivations was actually Guild's most prolific jumbo with a longer life than the dreadnought line and possibly offering even more models (I just haven't bothered counting yet), which makes it pretty d--n important and commercially viable if you ask me.
(See my "F40 Lovers Unite" thread).
For the moment I'm assuming they can't, or are opting not to, use those 16" body bucks for whatever reason.
A little earlier today it occurred to me that perhaps they see a competitor dominating that size in the market and that they don't wish to go head-to-head against them, at the moment at least?
Comments from the folks who pay attention to what "the other guys" do are welcome.

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
That's gotta be at least part of it.

OK to be fair they do acknowledge it's supposed to be a reissue F48 Navarre, the point is still that the F48 was a 17" bout instrument. An F40 never was.
As for popularity, maybe the F48 failed because the world didn't really need a 17" flat back hog jumbo.
But the F40 in all its various derivations was actually Guild's most prolific jumbo with a longer life than the dreadnought line and possibly offering even more models (I just haven't bothered counting yet), which makes it pretty d--n important and commercially viable if you ask me.
(See my "F40 lovers Unite" thread).
For the moment I'm assuming they can't, or are opting not to, use those 16" body bucks for whatever reason.
A little earlier today it occurred to me that perhaps they see a competitor dominating that size in the market and that they don't wish to go head-to-head against them, at the moment at least?
comments from the folks who pay attention to what "the other guys" do are welcome.

Adorshki,
As usual, you are spot on the subject and its implications. I'm willin' to 'wait and see' how the F-40 gambit plays out...not that I have any skin in the game! A 17" hog machine in F mode is somethin' of a gamble in my head, but I'm not in charge of Cordoba's marketing office! :tongue-new:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That F-55 is very Rick Danko
Think Danko was actually an F50 guy (maple arch back, the original configuration. The F55 is flatback rosewood, the old F50R.The F55M will be the new F50).
But I'm kinda lazy to go verify at the moment and you may know better than me.

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
Yeah, even though I think it's really cool, Rich, and would be on my list if I were growing my collection, I think you're right. I doubt they'll sell many. Martin has had very little luck selling their Grand J model (very similar to a Guild jumbo), as I think there's just not a big market out there for 'em.

You're super lucky to have one of those F-40 GSRs, Rich. Gorgeous and I'm sure it's a keeper.

Rich has excellent, discriminating taste in Guilds, and he has no problem taking them out to the open mic we both attend in Charlottesville every Monday night. Last week, we had three Guilds performing in a row, each from a differed end era (his '12 F-47KCE, our friend David's late-80's D-25, and my '54 X-200S).

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm willin' to 'wait and see' how the F-40 gambit plays out...not that I have any skin in the game! A 17" hog machine in F mode is somethin' of a gamble in my head, but I'm not in charge of Cordoba's marketing office! :tongue-new:

It wasn't a gamble for New Hartford but then again they did the 17" Hog Jumbo the right way with Style! The New Hartford Orpheum Jumbo which is an Adirondack topped Honduran Hog back and sides 17" jumbo with Scalloped Adirondack Bracing is an Amazing Instrument. It is in fact one of my Favorite all time guitars and in my opinion the best Orpheum they ever produced. However there is a Huge difference between a Custom Shop Orpheum from New Hartford and a budget built entry level guitar like the new F40. Time will tell I suppose but I sure ain't holding my breath, LOL!

TX