Ever go to sell a guitar and change your mind when you play it?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am in the same boat GAD. I have rough count 28 Guilds with half of those being acoustics. Then you factor in the others like my Carlo Greco, 5 American Strats, Couple of High End limited Gretsch Black Falcon Run Guitars, a few Lawsuit era Takamine Acoustics and Aria Pro II Electrics, and the miscellaneous resonator or 2 plus a Mandolin and I am right around the same number of 40-45. Then you could add the Roland Digital Piano as well plus 7 Guitar Amps and my Recording setup. Can't forget the stockpile of NOS and hard to find Guild Guitar parts as well as other brands. It makes for a whole lot of stuff. The biggest space eater is the Acoustic Guitar Cases but I don't want to take those to storage on the off chance I need to case a guitar right then. Every time I go to sell one of my guitars I pick them up to check them over and play them to make sure everything is copacetic and I immediately realize why I haven't been able to put it up for sale as at this point they are all dear to me in one way or another and have defining qualities about them which make them my Keepers, LOL!

On a positive note I have made progress in the past year. Instead of buying more guitars I actually traded a guitar for guitar twice which cut down on the overall number by having one in and one out. However as I type this I am in the process of going through a new acquisition which will have a NGD posted for it in the next few days so you could say I have fully regressed as well, LOL. Regardless I know this is a first world problem and I am happy to have it!

TX

Oh, I didn't include the pianos (2) and the ukes (2) and the amps I have (4) plus Axe-FX rigs (2) plus PA speaker (1) plus.... Oy.

I think the biggest issue for me (and probably you from what I've seen) is that many of the guitars I have are very rare or hard to find and some are rare and mint and some just have an emotional attachment. First world problem to be sure.

It's still cheaper than owning a boat. :)

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Oh, I didn't include the pianos (2) and the ukes (2) and the amps I have (4) plus Axe-FX rigs (2) plus PA speaker (1) plus.... Oy.

I think the biggest issue for me (and probably you from what I've seen) is that many of the guitars I have are very rare or hard to find and some are rare and mint and some just have an emotional attachment. First world problem to be sure.

It's still cheaper than owning a boat. :)

Gad,
Given the fact that you live in NJ, not too far from the ocean, and my memories of summers on the Jersey shore, I'm proud of you for resisting BAS (boat acquisition syndrome)!

RC

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just wish you had some acoustics :)

There is a part of me that wants GAD to get more interested in basses because his reviews are a joy to read. But I don't think I want him to do that if the review period is followed by a whole bunch of FS listings for instruments I want or like but don't need as much as I think I do.

Pretty cool that the Daughter of GAD is interested in guitars and basses. My kids see them as one more thing the estate will need to sell and want to make sure they have contact information for "that guy with all the Guilds in New Jersey". They mean Grot but maybe I should add GAD to the list :)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I used to work with someone who collected Martins and Gibsons. I couldn't convince him Guilds were worthy although I tried. He had about 100 instruments when I met him. He was down to about 20 when I last checked. He too, had a space problem. But the total value of his collection was increasing. He would see something he liked and thought was an upgrade from something he currently had and then sell or trade several instruments to get it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
She thinks all the '80s guitars are dumb, though to be fair she's not alone there. :)
Remember how it was with your parents, the older you got, the smarter they got?
Never fear, she'll come around to realizing how cool they all are.
In about 20 years.
What you really need to do is hide 'em all so you can yank her chain and tell 'er you sold all of 'em.

:biggrin-new:

matsickma

Reaction score
I'm not going to say how many I have cause whenever I start the process I loose count! I know I don't have as many as Grot. However between amps, guitar parts, sound equipment, speakers, horns, etc...its is too much. I did count that I have 5 different Leslie units and 1 Allen Organ dual speaker roto "pinwheel" tremelo unit I took out of a cheap organ I found thrown out for trash many years ago!

Speaking of stuff thrown out and found on the side of the road...

Back in the days if VHS and Blockbuster I needed to return some tapes before heading to work. This resulted in me taking an alternate route. As I left Blockbuster and was driving down a main road I saw off in the distance, on the right side of the road, an old building being torn down with a bulldozer. As I approached I glanced over occasionally and just as I drove by from the side of my eye I caught a glimpse of an organ laying on the side of the road! I swiftly made a sharp right turn and yes indeed it was an organ.
I came around the block and pulled over just beyond the organ. As I walked towards the organ I began to get very excited as I could see a Hammond organ "Tone Wheel" emblem on the front of the unit. I contained my excitement and walked over to the guy directing the operation of the bulldozer. I asked him where the organ came from and what was he going to do with it. He said it was inside the building and he was thinking of taking it home for his kids. I asked him what he wanted for it. He said $100. I told him I didn't have $100 but I would give him every amount I had in my wallet. He looked at me with skepticism as I pulled out and opened my wallet. I had around $70 and he accepted. He told the bulldozer operator to stop what he was doing and help me load the Hammond into the back of my Explorer.

On the way to work I was excited to hear a reverb pan bouncing around. It was a Wednesday and my son had piano lessons on Wednesday from a guy who was a local Hammond organ player. When we arrived the Hammond guy, Alex, came out and looked at it. To my suprised I had acquired an A102 which is the size of a spinet piano with the same internal guts as a B3 and C3 except it also had a a pair of fullrange 12 inch speakers and a 12 inch speaker for reverb. Also had foot pedal.
It needed some cleaning and repair which I was able to do under guidance from an ild and long retired Hammond organ repair guy that Alex introduced me to.

Learned a lot about how a Hammond works and functions abd have it to this day.
M

matsickma

Reaction score
Oh... forgot to mention we have two boats! My wife is a boating/water skiing snob abd won't let fish on her ski boat. So when she got a new boat a few years back I keep her old one for fishing!

I had always hoped my kids would play instruments. Gave them lessons but it never stuck. Yes GAD got a good thing going with his daughter.

M

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Takes me less than 15 seconds to count all the guitars in the house. I'm still acquiring. Never have sold a guitar. The only one I might consider selling I can't get enough money to make it worthwhile.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Do you know the real meaning to 42? Douglas Adams was familiar with programming, and in ASCII, 42 represents an asterisk, which is used to mean “anything you want.”

Chris, just mentioning ASCII just flooded my memory! Haven't heard that acronym in so long, yet at one time I heard and said it very often!

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sometimes that happens to me when I take pictures of it.

Guild-S300AD-Burst.jpg

Just to un-veer for a moment, the burst and also the grain on that guitar is beautiful!

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just to un-veer for a moment, the burst and also the grain on that guitar is beautiful!

walrus

As a lover of ash S300s, the grain on this guitar is breathtaking. I just got an almost mint S300AD in blonde and while it's beautiful, it doesn't have that wow! grain:

Guild-S300AD-Blonde.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Always wanted a burst ash S300. I have the blond model but burst looks great!

Thanks!

BTW I loved that organ story. I've read of guys finding Hammonds on the side of the road and tearing them apart for vintage tubes.

Five Leslies! Like, the big cabinets that SRV played with on stage?

Zelja

Reaction score
Yeah, I have trouble selling guitars. Have decided on selling one & then get it set up for the sale, new strings etc. & then I get a pang of remorse/regret & it stays...Always easier to buy them (the process that is) but selling them is more work.

I will need to sell some though as I want to set up a studio, get some good quality keyboards etc. Have 30+, I think.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yes-been trying to make myself sell the Epi AJ500 to help fund my next mahogany Guild purchase but everytime I pick it up and play it, "no, do not sell this" keeps echoing in my mind. Great sounding guitar-to me.

matsickma

Reaction score
GAD,
When you say "large" Leslie cabinets like SRV... I'm embarrassed to say I don't recall the type SRV used. However most two are the size of a 145 but no internal amp. One is pretty tall and has beveled panels on the corners and has a multi channel solidstate amp with 4 crossovers along with a 11 or 13 pin connector. Another one grown unit that has the drum rotate on axis with clockwise rotation like a classis Fender or Leslie guitar cabinet and one is a stand alone high frequency rotating horn unit that is easy to carry around.

I perfer Leslies with no amps as the ones with tube amps are expensive and don't usually want to play through the old ss amps.

I am trying to finish my basement "studio" where I can finally set this equipment up instead of packed away. I even anticipate an area in the basement to someday start assembling a modular Moog or a new Eurorack equivalent.

Problem is I fear once the basement is done we'll probably move again! (Retirement is on my wife's mind!)
M