There is now a red Tesla floating around in space...

matsickma

Reaction score
I can't believe I wasn't paying attention to the news when I was down in FL. I visited my son, friends and family all along the Atlantic and Gulf of FL. Basically did a round- robin of the state and could easily have returned to the Cape for the launch!

Since I drove delaying my return by a day normally wouldn't have been a big deal but I took a new route that took me through the mountains of western VA. Probably not a good place to be in a ice and snow storm even with a quattro. Going near DC would have also been a mess. I guess I could have stayed two extra day had I known of the "heavy" launch. That would have been cool!

M

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You'd think that owning a car company and a rocket company, Elon could easily give us something really fun to play with, instead of those mobile battery packs that pass for cars.

758px-Art-arfons-green-monster7.jpg

But no-o-o.:chargrined:

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You'd think that owning a car company and a rocket company, Elon could easily give us something really fun to play with, instead of those mobile battery packs that pass for cars.

758px-Art-arfons-green-monster7.jpg

But no-o-o.:chargrined:

Yes, roadways filled with 1000MPH capable vehicles would be a good way to curb the earth overpopulation issue.
But waitamimit!.... then there would be no need to go look for additional space on another planet!
Yeah, the boy knows what he's doing.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes, roadways filled with 1000MPH capable vehicles would be a good way to curb the earth overpopulation issue.
But waitamimit!.... then there would be no need to go look for additional space on another planet!
Yeah, the boy knows what he's doing.

This is Ground Control to Major Tom:

180206182748-falcon-heavy-launch-5-780x439.jpg

Of course, the anime lovers amongst us note an eerie resemblance to the opening sequence of Heavy Metal from 1981:

astro-vette.jpg

flyingcar.jpg

Heavy%2BMetal%2B-%2BCar.jpg

Unfortunately, it looks like our Tesla's gonna be stuck out there for a while:

180208163641-elons-tesla-780x439.jpg

Oh well. At least in space nobody can hear you break the speed limit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
"You'd think that owning a car company and a rocket company, Elon could easily give us something really fun to play with, instead of those mobile battery packs that pass for cars."
I'm guessing you've never been in a Tesla or had one blow by you on the highway like you were going 20 mph ?:anonymous:

F312

Reaction score
You could put a playing card in the wheel spoke.
Ralph

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"You'd think that owning a car company and a rocket company, Elon could easily give us something really fun to play with, instead of those mobile battery packs that pass for cars."
I'm guessing you've never been in a Tesla or had one blow by you on the highway like you were going 20 mph ?:anonymous:

Why am I reminded of the tortoise and hare?

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
If I had the disposable income, I'd buy a P90D with ludicrous mode just to mess with the Hellcat drivers.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You're right I've never been in one but that's only because I hate shopping in general.
And I actually work behind one (2 actually, if you count Solar City) of their plants in Fremont, CA, but traffic conditions and a 2-lane road out front generally preclude that kind of action taking place.
Oh, by the way, Welcome aboard!
I did see your other post over in Bass, you mentioned you've been lurking for a while, but I suspect you may not realize I'm probably Tesla's (well, Elon Musk's, at least) biggest fanboy on the board here, so my sarcasm is doubly humorous for those who know my rep.
My credentials:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?180944-Tesla-Warranty
B-u-u-t: while I have nothing against electric vehicles in principle, and am a fan of BIG torque, I still believe that nothing can feel better/offer more precise control than steering through front wheels that aren't afflicted with gyroscopic steering caused by being driven. (a big element in what's commonly known as torque steer).
And sadly, my hero's cars' front wheels are powered, so they're gyroscopes.
Which tend to want to remain in the plane in which they're spinning.
IF driven front wheels were better, Formula One would have incorporated it back in the '50's. Or earlier.
OK I might be coming off snarky now, so I'll back off.
It's really only all in good fun.
:friendly_wink:
Which reminds me, Elon owns Solar City and he can't put a panel on the d--n car so the camera won't die after only 4-1/2 hours?
Really Elon, you disappoint me.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...... you may not realize I'm probably Tesla's (well, Elon Musk's, at least) biggest fanboy on the board here.....

Hi

I am not lusting after Tesla - as fine as they are - but I would happily trade my 1998 MB ML320 to a full electric van - like the Nissan e-NV200, which I tried last summer - if I only could finance the difference. Tesla has certainly showed, that electric cars are not only some elusive dreams but real cars - now we have to wait for the price to come down to affordable level.

I am thrilled that SpaceX managed with the project - perhaps most amazing detail was indeed the return of those two stage one carriers practically on same second - even within five minutes it would have been extremely remarkable.

After all this I might have to check more on Elon Musk - perhaps I will become fanboy #2 - so far no Tesla - PayPal YES - Hyperloop test-tube is possibly being constructed about 160 km /100ml from here.

Hyperloop - good thing is that if anything goes wrong at that speed, the passengers will never know - they are vaporized in few seconds - still I find the idea very fascinating.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, Las Vegas is Tesla-land. They're everywhere. I've been to Town Square when every slot in the charging station is filled!! Over 20 Teslas getting juiced up!! I'd have one in a minute.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, that's the issue isn't? There has to be charging stations *everywhere* for electric cars by any manufacturer to really take off. Here in MA, they are not that easy to find. Two stations for the whole campus of the college I teach at.

I wonder if the big oil companies would fund them? :anonymous:

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well, that's the issue isn't? There has to be charging stations *everywhere* for electric cars by any manufacturer to really take off. Here in MA, they are not that easy to find. Two stations for the whole campus of the college I teach at.

I wonder if the big oil companies would fund them? :anonymous:

walrus

Waddaya think Solar City's really for?
And that do bring up the real Achilles' heel of electrics:
Charging time.
Minimum 20 minutes AFTER you make your way to a station and assuming you don't wait in line.
Unless you charge at home.
For those of you that own your own home.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Waddaya think Solar City's really for?
And that do bring up the real Achilles' heel of electrics:
Charging time.
Minimum 20 minutes AFTER you make your way to a station and assuming you don't wait in line.
Unless you charge at home.
For those of you that own your own home.

What? You never spent 20 minutes at a gas station waiting for your turn at the pump?