New member. New amp.

Jesse1964

Reaction score
Yup. Lotsa caps. I'm gonna start with the can and all the old Astron electrolytics and a 3 prong cord. Maybe add some diodes to protect the rectifier. Then see where were at. At least I got the handle done....

Jesse1964

Reaction score
rtpuRzc.jpg
WVlUtBy.jpg
ZnZ7QXg.jpg
I9X8W8A.jpg

Jesse1964

Reaction score
Got the can stuffed and replaced the astron electros with Spagues. Added the 3 prong cord. Slowly but surely....

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Strange. The label is marked S-200. The factory worker must have been like me. I keep screwing it up too.

too bad it's not really a Guild S-200!! (Thunderbird guitar)

nice amp! great job documenting the refurb.

Jesse1964

Reaction score
After changing the can caps and the rest of the electolytics the hum from channel 2 is less. Still silent on channel 1. All pots and switches cleaned. I believe channel 2 volume pot needs replacing. After checking el34 tubes found one is bad. I also found that the 8 black and yellow Pyramid caps are bad. So the saga continues....

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, this wasn't their best era for long lived coupling caps either. At least by '66 they were using mustards and tropical fish.

Jesse1964

Reaction score
After changing the can caps and the rest of the electolytics the hum from channel 2 is less. Still silent on channel 1. All pots and switches cleaned. I believe channel 2 volume pot needs replacing. After checking el34 tubes found one is bad. I also found that the 8 black and yellow Pyramid caps are bad. So the saga continues....

Jesse1964

Reaction score
I agree with that Acorn. I only found one electolytic within spec. I believe i will replace the Pyramids with Sprague orange drops because I already have them. Can anyone way in on these being a suitable replacement? Thanks

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree with that Acorn. I only found one electolytic within spec. I believe i will replace the Pyramids with Sprague orange drops because I already have them. Can anyone way in on these being a suitable replacement? Thanks
Hard to go wrong with them.

Jesse1964

Reaction score
Fp43uLY.jpg

Got the Orange Drops in and got yhe amp working. After giving the tube sockets a good cleaning the amp came to life. It sounds great but I still need to do a few more things....

Jesse1964

Reaction score
x3I2lyj.jpg
7AXgueO.jpg
b0HouCo.jpg

n6z4Cfh.jpg

Was still getting intermittent cutout. Reflowed the heater wire socket connections and alls good. The tremolo is working along with everthing else. It does have a slight sizzle on lower notes that I believe will be cured as soon as the new set of el34s show up. This is a beautiful looking and sounding amp. Maybe I will keep it for a little while. Told the wife I would sell it : )

Jesse1964

Reaction score
I'm actually looking at a Thunderbass head but it needs some real work...

Jesse1964

Reaction score
Well, i've located the sizzle/buzz. While I think its a really cool feature, the compartment door on the back of the amp vibrates. I opened it up and it's all good. Maybe add some felt.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, i've located the sizzle/buzz. While I think its a really cool feature, the compartment door on the back of the amp vibrates. I opened it up and it's all good. Maybe add some felt.
I had the same issue on my 99J. I took it off. I wonder if it was tight and noise free once, or if they were always rattle-y.

Jesse1964

Reaction score
content://media/external/file/67474

The fastners look like snaps for a jacket. So if they ever did work, I would think it would be short lived.

Jesse1964

Reaction score
Hey Walter, Not really as loud aa you would think. Its wired as two seperate amps so unless your using it in stereo mode it's not really super loud.