Impressions about the Guild F40 GSR Cocobolo?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Be careful about this dealer. The same shop's Reverb account offers the same guitar for something like $3,600 Canadian, not the $4,089 Canadian mentioned on Ebay. Plus, I would take issue with the statement that the guitar is brand new when it was produced quite a number of years ago.

RC

Rich, I've almost always seen "new" refer to being equivalent to "unsold". At this point, "NOS" (New Old Stock) is probably a better way to describe a pre-Cordoba Guild, but I don't think "new" is something to be wary of. That said, "brand new" is a bit of an exaggeration, I agree.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Be careful about this dealer. The same shop's Reverb account offers the same guitar for something like $3,600 Canadian, not the $4,089 Canadian mentioned on Ebay. Plus, I would take issue with the statement that the guitar is brand new when it was produced quite a number of years ago.

RC

While their online offerings and prices are indeed strange and inconsistent, they are very nice to deal with over the phone and I bought my 12 string Orpheum there last year. I think they consider an unplayed guitar with full warranty as "new" (NOS), and when I asked about some of their listings it was quite straightforward to negotiate substantial potential discounts on some of those. I got the impression that their posted prices are far from fixed.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
While their online offerings and prices are indeed strange and inconsistent, they are very nice to deal with over the phone and I bought my 12 string Orpheum there last year. I think they consider an unplayed guitar with full warranty as "new" (NOS), and when I asked about some of their listings it was quite straightforward to negotiate substantial potential discounts on some of those. I got the impression that their posted prices are far from fixed.

That's good to know. I'll keep that in mind

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
He says it has some wear though. Don't know if the double pickguards is rare or sought after. He's asking $2000 USD for it.
I already have my jumbo, so not for me...
Not as common/popular at that time as it seemed to be during '70's, seemed to be pioneered by Richie Havens on his D40's and an F50, probably because he was so hard on tops. Anyway, he's the "poster child' for 'em for sure.
It was a standard option during the '70's at least, easy to check off on the order list.
Seems like some of 'em were even built that way without being special ordered. Seems most common on jumbos.
There's a popular misconception they've gotta be tone killers but that part of top's actually pretty dead acoustically anyway.
Some people love the look (I do), some people hate it.

They went back to the traditional F50r/F50 callouts in Corona although for some reason they retained the JF30 and JF 30-12 models for a couple of years..
The JF30 and 30-12 models were dropped in Tacoma though.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
John Denver made the double pickguards on a Guild Known Worldwide as he performed live all over the world and also was pictured on a few of his album covers with his beloved Double Pickguard equipped Guild F50R.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
John Denver made the double pickguards on a Guild Known Worldwide as he performed live all over the world and also was pictured on a few of his album covers with his beloved Double Pickguard equipped Guild F50R.

TX

Good call, forgot about him, he was never really on my radar, but was certainly more visible than Richie in the '70's.
Wonder where he got the idea, though?

folk-singer-richie-havens-and-eric-clapton-backstage-at-the-cafe-au-picture-id115058830

Richie with Clapton, backstage Café Au-go-go late '67.
The pic that makes me think he turned Clapton on to Guilds.
:friendly_wink:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I don't recall any stories about Chris Fleming being involved with day to day production at New Hartford. If my memory is correct then this sounds like a pretty special instrument because it was almost certainly cherry picked by someone who knows guitars.

As for "new" the description is probably legally correct. By itself, with no qualifiers, "new" means the item so described has never been sold at retail. In the guitar world "new" usually means the manufacturer's warranty will be extended to the purchaser. It is common to use "display model" or "new old stock" in cases like this but the failure to do so is not, in my opinion, an indication of an unethical retailer. They did, for example, point out it was on display. IMO. YMMV.

I didn't mean to suggest that Fleming was involved with day to day production. The shop in Prescott, Arizona that sold the F-40 GSR that I own suggested in their description of the guitar that Chris Fleming owned it, and that it was a rumor.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I didn't mean to suggest that Fleming was involved with day to day production. The shop in Prescott, Arizona that sold the F-40 GSR that I own suggested in their description of the guitar that Chris Fleming owned it, and that it was a rumor.

I got that. I was just thinking that, since he wasn't, there had to be some kind of out of the ordinary selection process for hm to get the guitar and that was pretty neat. Isn't written English in an online forum wonderful?

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I got that. I was just thinking that, since he wasn't, there had to be some kind of out of the ordinary selection process for hm to get the guitar and that was pretty neat. Isn't written English in an online forum wonderful?

Ain't that the truth!:crying:

Reaction score
Guild Total
my guild f40 gsr cocobola is as good as any other guitar I have...the quality is absolutely as good as my martins, taylor, larrivee, yamaha....playability is excellent....resonance, sustain, harmonics, projection, depth are all great....it is my second favorite only to my 49 year old d35 martin...nothing imho sounds as good as the d35 and this is only 10 or 12 years old....it sounds and plays better than my 26 year old Taylor 810 brazillian....at the price you state, it is a STEAL !!!