Restoring a 1962 Black Star

Reaction score
Hi guys!

This is my first post in here and the reason is I came over a guitar that I used 36 years ago namely
a 1962 Black Star III. It´s not perfect at all and missing some parts but I´m a musician/songwriter
and not a collector so I´ll be using it in the studio mainly. And it sounds amazing!

When I plugged it in a week ago it had one mike working but with no tone control,
after having sprayed/cleaned everything inside I tried the guitar yesterday and was blown
away. I would say the sound and controls are as new. The DeArmond Dynasonics may not be everyones
favourite but I think they are fantastic. Having screwed the magnetos down to surface level in the pups I have clean
sound on clean channel at 10 from the guitar and a great attack and grit on a distorted channel. I love it.

I´m waiting for the Bigsby arm from Ebay it never had since at least 1977, and I replaced the vol/tone
controls with others, there´s one Guild knob left among those that were on but I´ll save that.

What I am looking for - knowing they´re hard to find is a pickguard and an original pup switch tip.

So any 60´s DeArmond Dynasonic fitting Guild pickguard is interesting to me!

Reaction score
Haha thank you!

Funny thing is I liked it when I played it all those years ago but this is the first time
I´ve heard it in good shape and it´s much better than I thought.

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I think I speak for the group and we'd love to see a photo of your guitar!

Hans Moust wrote the book on vintage Guild guitars; he may be along to post as well. Here is the link to his website: http://www.guitarsgalore.nl/. He may have some parts or know where you could find some.

I have a 1961 T100DPB that has DeArmond pickups. If it will help, I can make a tracing of my pickguard to send to you if you choose to have a replacement made for your guitar.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!

I look forward to photos of the '62 Black Star III. Sorry... but I can't help with the pickguard or switch tip.

Good Luck with your search!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I'm curious... :unsure:

Does the paper label read Black Star III, Blackfire III or Starfire III Black? If it is still legible.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What I am looking for - knowing they´re hard to find is a pickguard and an original pup switch tip.
So any 60´s DeArmond Dynasonic fitting Guild pickguard is interesting to me!
Welcome to LTG.
I am not sure what the difference in size would be between the Dynasonics and the Guild mini humbuckers, but maybe the current Guild pickguard would fit?
https://shop.guildguitars.com/product/pickguard-starfire-iii-nickel-mounting-hardware/
Regarding the original switch tip I would say it is almost impossible to find one, the only souce that parts our Guild guitars and might have one from time to time is a ebay seller called "gibsondependable".
http://stores.ebay.com/gibsondependable?_dmd=1&_nkw=Guild
Maybe you would also find a pickguard from him if you follow his auctions.
Ralf