Apples and Oranges......mid 70s D35 SB vs. Hartford D50 Bluegrass Special

mike1100

Reaction score
I'm struggling here. Both is the answer for me, but the question is more which do you grab first.

Option 1 - Mid 70s D-35 Sunburst. Repaired top (very subtle visually, small crack by pickguard). It also has a few bruises, but overall a 7/10. It sounds far better than I expected. Very playable. A great mahogany dread.

Option 2 - Early New Hartford era D-50 Bluegrass Special. No cracks. Sounds as I expected, but I have very high expectations of this Adi / Rosewood model. It's a 9/10 aesthetically.

If you plan on having both mahogany and rosewood Guild dreads (D35 or D40 and a D50), which would you pull the trigger on today?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a '72 D-35 (bought new in '73) and had a '78 D-35, but sold the latter. Also had a '76 D-50, now sold. Have never played a NH D-50, but if there are no other factors involved (sentiment, $$$, etc), I'd choose the D-50 over the D-35.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
are they close in price? for what you describe the D-50 should be 50-100 percent more expensive. There is no shortage of 7/10 condition D-35's out there from the 1970's...Im sure they are killer guitars (possibly the best bang for the buck out there- if u get it at the right price...)

with the limited information you have provided and lack of photos (not giving u a hard time, just saying, we are missing some info), one can only conclude the NH D-50 would be a better investment (unless it were more than double the price of D-35)

have fun, and good luck!

mike1100

Reaction score
Gardman - I value hearing from someone who has owned both. Since I plan on getting some sort of Guild hog and a rosewood examples, it's more a question of which is the better opportunity.

Cougar - I'm new to the forum and to Guild. Were there any issues with the Kaman folks transitioning to build Guild models, even in those first few years?

Mavuser - Both are sub 1K. Of the two, the D-35 SB is a fair bit less. The D-50 being just under 1K I feel is a great price (am I wrong?). I'm visiting the D-50 BG again this morning, only this time with my inspection mirror to get a look at the inside of the guitar and take more time to listen and look over. Sorry no photos. You can give me a hard time. Threads are always better with pics!

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the outside perspective.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
The D-50 Adirondack is a guitar that I would love to own.
It is the only other Guild that I desire now that I have my D-55.
And yes, the D-55 and D-50 Adirondack are still Apples to Oranges.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Any D-50 in 9/10 condition without the snake head headstock, for less than 1K, is a home run if u ask me. Built in NH? if the guitar speaks to u i would close that deal and not look back.

Br1ck

Reaction score
You say mid 70s D 35. To me there is a big difference between 73 and 77. I don't know quite when Guild began building stouter guitars or if it was a gradual transformation, but a guitar built before 73 is a pretty good bet IMHO.

I'd buy the guitar you like the best.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think under $1K for a NH D-50BG in good shape is a great deal.

Elaborating on my earlier post... my choice of the D-50 would be for its tone (tho' I have never played a guitar with Adirondak spruce). I do really love my old D-35... for years it was my only guitar. It has a nice, warm, folksy sound. Definitely mahogany tone, but with a warmth to it that my '78 D-35 lacked.

OTOH... my '76 Westerly D-50 had all the richness of a rosewood-bodied dread, coupled to a punchy "in-your-face" attitude. I really liked its sound. I only let it go because (1) I got bit by the DV-7X bug (same reason my D-55 was sold), and (2) it had a narrow (between 1-5/8" and 1-11/16" nut width), but chunky (front to back) neck that I was never really comfortable with.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The D-50 Adirondack is a guitar that I would love to own.
It is the only other Guild that I desire now that I have my D-55.
And yes, the D-55 and D-50 Adirondack are still Apples to Oranges.

Unless your New Hartford D55 has an Adirondack top like my 2014 D55-RS, Sorry but I couldn't resist.

YMjpQ6.jpg
Fp5giz.jpg

TX

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I'd buy the NH D-50BG if it is sub $1K in a heartbeat...that is a great deal.

I had owned a Westerly D-50 from 1978. I sold it a couple/few years ago...it was near mint...gorgeous...and rang like a bell. I sold it because it was EXTREMELY heavy (which defied its sound) and had a somewhat chunky neck. I recently purchased a New Hartford built D-40 'standard". I bought the D-40 on a lark....used....and I could not be more impressed with it. Bone everywhere....light as a feather....and a great neck. The NH guitars are undervalued imo. I bought my D-40 from GC (of all places) for $799 and paid tax and shipping atop that...it was well worth that little money and I don't plan on selling soon.

I have played some awesome D-35's from the 70's Westerly years.....they were great sounding....despite all of them in beat to hell condition. I'm personally looking for a New Hartford built model to add to my herd. I always love me some Westerly....but I must say the NH guitars are superb and have really won me over.

If that D-35 that you have your eyes on is in really great shape and feels/sounds good to you....that too would likely be a wonderful guitar....but I'd spend less money on that given the condition you've described when compared to the D-50.

I agree with what others posted....early 70's and late 70's Westerlies can be quite different....imo the earlier being the better, lighter, and more responsive (generally speaking...your mileage may vary significantly)

Do you want rosewood or hog right now?...that is really the question.

Last edited:

Grassdog

Reaction score
It sure would be hard to pass up a NH D-50 in great condition for under $1K. I'd say go for whichever one speaks to you, but I think you'll find more opportunities for reasonably priced D-35 down the road.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The D 50 (A top or not) is one of my most favorite Guilds regardless of price point. I've had both Sitka tops and A tops and I've adored both of them. Personally, I'm more a D 50 fan than D 55 although the D 55 is superb as well.

I have, right now, a vintage D 50 with Braz. B&S and a NH A top. Both are exceptional. I have a local lady who wants badly to buy both my NH D 40C and my NH D 50 and I may end up caving and selling them to her. She's a pretty amazing guitar player and although I've never heard her sing, I'm told her Patsy Kline and J. Mitchell tributes are both superb.

I've also owned several D 35's and they are a great bang for the buck. Very nice actually. But, IMHO they are not in the same class as a D 40. I'm sure others will disagree but that's perfectly fine. Everyone's tastes are different I think.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
There was a burst finish Early New Hartford made D50 Bluegrass with the DTAR Multisource (which was installed later on by the placement of the battery pack directly on the RW back as opposed to the neck block where the factory mounted them) and Faux alligator case that sold on Reverb yesterday for $900 with free shipping. I was really tempted to buy it but I have something else being delivered in the morning from UPS. :tongue-new: Plus there was something going on with the saddle on it as the treble side was pretty low and the Bass side was pretty high. Here is the link if it still works. Still a hell of a deal at $900 with free shipping though.

https://reverb.com/item/10078798-gu...top-acoustic-electric-w-d-tar-pickup-and-case

The same seller still has a New Hartford D50CE Standard for sale on Reverb for $800 obo.

https://reverb.com/item/10078671-gu...c-w-d-tar-pickup-and-hard-case-single-cutaway

TX

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It sure would be hard to pass up a NH D-50 in great condition for under $1K. I'd say go for whichever one speaks to you, but I think you'll find more opportunities for reasonably priced D-35 down the road.

That's how I see it, too, Grassdog.
Welcome aboard, Mike!

mike1100

Reaction score
You say mid 70s D 35. To me there is a big difference between 73 and 77. I don't know quite when Guild began building stouter guitars or if it was a gradual transformation, but a guitar built before 73 is a pretty good bet IMHO.

I'd buy the guitar you like the best.

--D35 is a 1975.

mike1100

Reaction score
Adorshki - Thanks for the welcome.

Txbumper57.....that 2014 D55-RS is a stunner.

Well, the D-50 BS found a home, although it isn't my home. It's okay, the chase and research is part of the fun. I need to try a few D40s as well.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm struggling here. Both is the answer for me, but the question is more which do you grab first.

Option 1 - Mid 70s D-35 Sunburst. Repaired top (very subtle visually, small crack by pickguard). It also has a few bruises, but overall a 7/10. It sounds far better than I expected. Very playable. A great mahogany dread.

Option 2 - Early New Hartford era D-50 Bluegrass Special. No cracks. Sounds as I expected, but I have very high expectations of this Adi / Rosewood model. It's a 9/10 aesthetically.

If you plan on having both mahogany and rosewood Guild dreads (D35 or D40 and a D50), which would you pull the trigger on today?

for me it would be the D35. Having owned both of those guitars, well, my D50 was older so X bracing etc, but still quite the cannon. The D35 is more the workhorse and can handle all. D50 can get a bit bassy and too deep for some stuff.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
It would be the D50 for me. One under $1k is not common. However, like Grassdog pointed out, D35's abound. You can find one in good condition often well under $1k fairly easily. Welcome to LTG btw. I wish you luck on your decision!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
However, like Grassdog pointed out, D35's abound. You can find one in good condition often well under $1k fairly easily. Welcome to LTG btw. I wish you luck on your decision!

Yes, welcome.

Remember that there are a variety of Guild mahogany-bodied dreadnoughts if you want to expand your search beyond D-35's: D-40, D-6, DV-6.