Justin Hayward Guild story

Grassdog

Reaction score
I thought you all might enjoy see this video of Justin Hayward telling the story of how he rescued an old Guild from a pawn shop in Seattle. With all the pics of pristine Guilds out there lately, it's nice to see an old "not so perfect" beauty get rescued and put into service by one of the great singer/songwriters of the 60's/70's. I tell you these things have souls. Looks like a D-50 and I think he's tuned to open G. BTW, kudos to Justin and the rest of the Moody's for finally getting into the R&R HOF (long long overdue)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkPgWwwqYW0

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I like the way he says "Isn't that an early 80's Guild?" He obviously knows his guitars! Thanks for posting. :applause:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I like the way he says "Isn't that an early 80's Guild?" He obviously knows his guitars! Thanks for posting. :applause:
Well seein' as how he's played a JF30-12 for like, ever, that shouldn't be so surprising:
string.jpg

F30 owner, too:
http://justinhaywardguitar.com/the-black-guild-no-1/

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
He makes that Guild sound awful nice; I love playing and singing that song myself! Really a beautiful tune, they had so many.

marcellis

Reaction score
Wonderful. Wow. Thanks for posting it.

From the first note -- that's what a Guild acoustic sounds like.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Back to the original story with a slight veer, are there any cities left with a pawn shop "district", where there may be a significant cluster in a given (downtown?) area? As I've told my story in other threads, back in the day, there was a couple blocks in downtown LA where one could go door to door down the sidewalk shopping for guitars, etc.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Back to the original story with a slight veer, are there any cities left with a pawn shop "district", where there may be a significant cluster in a given (downtown?) area? As I've told my story in other threads, back in the day, there was a couple blocks in downtown LA where one could go door to door down the sidewalk shopping for guitars, etc.

we often see on the LTG, at least quarterly someone posts a link to a Seattle Goodwill Guild. they come up a few times a year. usually in rough shape but the bidding price is low enough to consider or at least have fun with it. i do not know of other pawn shop type sites...honestly, i see nowadays a lot of pawn shops have absurd Guild prices, i mean absurdly high.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
we often see on the LTG, at least quarterly someone posts a link to a Seattle Goodwill Guild. they come up a few times a year. usually in rough shape but the bidding price is low enough to consider or at least have fun with it. i do not know of other pawn shop type sites...honestly, i see nowadays a lot of pawn shops have absurd Guild prices, i mean absurdly high.

Yeah, a lot of the pawn shops are on the Bay or the List as well. I was just wondering about actual drop in and try out brick & mortar shops.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, a lot of the pawn shops are on the Bay or the List as well. I was just wondering about actual drop in and try out brick & mortar shops.

CA, Tyler, TX has quite a few all within a few miles of each other. It apparently has more Pawn shops per square mile than any town in TX. I have made a day trip out of it a few times and have come away with the occasional good find. I take my two boys and we scour the pawn shops looking for deals usually as an add on to a camping trip at Tyler State Park.

I will say I think the days of going in to pawn shops and finding a good deal on a high end guitar are just about over. Although the recent F50 pawn shop $150 find from one of our new LTG'ers gives hope. It has become harder and harder to find nice US made guits in pawn shops that aren't marked up to almost new prices. I think your chances are better in the mom and pop shops than they are at say a Cash America Pawn which is a sizable TX Pawn chain.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
A Black F-30. I don't believe that I have seen one of those before. Very cool! :cool-new:
That makes two of us Bill.

A foggy memory just bubbled up from the murk that says Hans ID'd it as a special order a while back, but I don't remember if he mentioned why it was special..
Maybe it was for the color.