The Dreaded Flu

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Five of the Alzheimer's units we visit to sing have been quarantined in the past two weeks due to raging influenza.

Meanwhile, I'm not shaking any hands. Be careful out there.

I did get the alleged flu vaccine this year at the insistence of my doctor, and my R.N. wife. In my estimation, it's a crap-shoot at best, but at least the shot won't try to kill me.

As I get less young, it seems my choices are narrowing to "deadly" and "likely not as deadly," LOL :nonchalance:

merlin6666

Reaction score
In Canada the flu shot is a publicly funded vaccine so getting one is a no brainer to protect your health and the health of the loved ones around you.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
At my routine checkup a couple of weeks ago I was getting over a cold. My doc said it's good I got a flu shot months before but said that it's only 30% effective against all the different strains going around this year. Mostly he said, it's best if you have no contact with ANYONE. Like that's gonna happen but it's scary just the same. Lots of deaths. Be careful, everyone!

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Both my wife and I received the flu vaccine this past fall. We are both currently incapacitated with this #&!% awful influenza. She has missed work the entire week and is just now showing signs of improvement. I was stricken 3 days after she was. The local urgent care doesn't want to see us because they are so overwhelmed. Thank goodness we both were able to get prescriptions for the tamiflu med. We were told, if we start feeling better and then suddenly take a turn for the worse, to get in to the hospital as fast as we can.
Just hoping for the best and trying ride this out. Can't imagine what it would be like if we hadn't been vaccinated?? :miserable::miserable:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry to hear that Terry. I've heard that even though you can get the flu, the intensity and duration will be lessened if you've had the shot. I hope so in your case. Take care!!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Fluids, fluids, fluids! Many of the folks showing up at hospitals are de-hydrated. I hope you are feeling better soon! :teapot:

One of the things that I am wary of is the ubiquitous card reader, with a keypad, at the check out counter. How many people touch that thing every day? After I use one, I am careful not to touch my face (eyes, nose, mouth) until I have washed my hands thoroughly.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's a weird flu this year. Seems to hit strong and last at least a week before you start getting better. My wife is a elementary school teacher and I work in the district in the IT department. We're around people and kids a lot. I think the last time either of us got flu shots was 20 years ago. Maybe we're rolling the dice or we have just developed a good immune system. Or.. just lucky.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe we're rolling the dice or we have just developed a good immune system. Or.. just lucky.

I'd say the latter. I got the flu a few years ago. I got a flu shot every year since, that's for damn sure.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Being a Type 1 diabetic, I want any odds, no matter how small, in my favor so I get a flu shot every Fall. And I am guessing all the things I did growing up on a rural Tennessee farm like drinking out of creeks, eating a mud pie or two, playing basketball and hide-in-seek in barn hayloft allows my immunity system to say, "flu virus-no problem-I have dealt with worse!