NCD (New Case Day) - Humicase for Guild D40C

PittPastor

Reaction score
In case anyone cares, I thought I would share pics of my new case. Bought the humicase because A) I could order it from GC and I had a $40 OFF Coupon there and B) With my heater working over time this winter, my house is as dry as the sahara.

Ordered the Acoustic Flattop case. With my coupon, it came to $95. It's a snug fit -- which I like. TBH, I am not crazy about blue for the color -- since I'm not sure the classic sunburst pops in a blue case... but that's a small niggle.

Over all, VERY happy with it. Much better than the OHSC. (Which I suspect was a 3rd party case, not Guild)

Does anyone know where I can buy a GUILD Badge to replace the Humicase Badge?

Need to replace this badge
56mVQd1.jpg

Empty and Lonely Case
s6uNrY0.jpg

And here it is: Home Sweet Home
KwDZh9R.jpg

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
very nice, thanks for the report! I would just leave the badge and not mess with it, put a sticker over it if it bothers you (Guild or otherwise), it would not bother me, however. I also dig the blue!

PittPastor

Reaction score
very nice, thanks for the report! I would just leave the badge and not mess with it, put a sticker over it if it bothers you (Guild or otherwise), it would not bother me, however. I also dig the blue!

Badge is kinda flimsy. Almost like they expect you to replace it. IDK. It's not going to make the top ten things in my life I would like to change list... but it would be nice to have a guild badge there, I think. Tho, the original case didn't have any bade or markings at all... so maybe I should just leave it....

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
theres a number of different badges. not sure which one, if any, would fit those same pin holes, without hammering new holes. the Tacoma era/early GAD acoustic bage (oval, "made to be played") looks close in size and shape to the humidicase badge, just couldnt say if those holes will line up. to even find one of those badges, whether it is a match or not, could be difficult. the newer Newark Street Guild case badge might be easier to find, but again, you are likely making new holes in your new case, or applying some kind of adhesive. i would leave it alone or put a sticker on it. that humidifier is awesome! i wish i had a $40 GC coupon right now.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
In case anyone cares, I thought I would share pics of my new case. Bought the humicase because A) I could order it from GC and I had a $40 OFF Coupon there and B) With my heater working over time this winter, my house is as dry as the sahara.
Ordered the Acoustic Flattop case. With my coupon, it came to $95. It's a snug fit -- which I like. TBH, I am not crazy about blue for the color -- since I'm not sure the classic sunburst pops in a blue case... but that's a small niggle.
Over all, VERY happy with it. Much better than the OHSC. (Which I suspect was a 3rd party case, not Guild)
Does anyone know where I can buy a GUILD Badge to replace the Humicase Badge?
Need to replace this badge
Empty and Lonely Case
And here it is: Home Sweet Home

I bought a Guild badged new humicase from a place in Maryland for about $98 shipped for my vintage M-20. It fits like a glove and is a more than decent case. I needed to get the old girl out of her chip-board case.

A word of advice: use only distilled water to wet the humidipod. I have never previously used distilled for any of my humidifying sponges before and never had a problem. Tap water made that yellow humidipod mildew after only days of use. I had to throw it away and order another one. I've been using distilled for several weeks now...no problems.

If it were me...I would't bother with a badge for the case. If you really feel the need...put a Guild sticker on it.

Kit

merlin6666

Reaction score
A word of advice: use only distilled water to wet the humidipod. I have never previously used distilled for any of my humidifying sponges before and never had a problem. Tap water made that yellow humidipod mildew after only days of use. I had to throw it away and order another one. I've been using distilled for several weeks now...no problems.
Sounds like it's time to replace the aerator on your faucet. This is a potential haven for mildew spores and other critters.

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Great price. Congrats on your NCD!
(I have always only used distilled water in my humidifiers - home and guitar. The scale from tap water really messes things up.)

CocoaPicker

Reaction score

Agreed! That’s a great case for a guitar worth protecting. I’m tempted to dispense with aesthetics, and do up the outside of my cases like the YouTube-famous Adirondack Olson made for David Wilcox: https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/olson-sj-small-jumbo-17170.html
If nothing else, it might keep it from walking off at a gig... which I guess is the idea.

PittPastor

Reaction score
I'll probably end up replacing the badge. But I need to figure out what to do. I might get black leather and have it laser etched. Then I can get it the right size, and it will be subtle.

Cougar: I had an oasis in the soundhole that has a built in meter. Originally I thought I would leave it out now, since it is a bit of a pain putting it in (between the strings) and taking it out. But, I do like being able to hit a button and see what the humidity reading is.

Just finished playing the D40C -- as a bonus, it has a kind of new guitar smell now, thanks to the case.

Kitarkus: Wow, that would have been great. I probably should have asked around to some dealers. BTW, I had a bit of trouble getting the round sponge to saturate. The very back never did seem to take water. Do I just need to submerge it and let it sit, or does the back not absorb anything?

dbirchett

Reaction score
If you put "Guild" on the case, it might make it more tempting for someone to make off with. Sometimes a little anonymiity is not a bad thing.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pitt- the very first time u may need to let that sponge absorb the *distilled for sure* water more than usual. i just bought a couple of new humidifiers and was also scratching my head a little the first couple times. now, after a while, they dry out and when i submerged them, they fluff up with water instantly. i forget the name of the humidifier, but that is the end of the oasis crysals and syringes for me (wtf was that anyway?!?!). my new humidifiers are the same thing thats in your case.

i had an older D'addario humidifier. it did not say to use distilled water. after a while, it developed mold.

Last edited:

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Kitarkus: Wow, that would have been great. I probably should have asked around to some dealers. BTW, I had a bit of trouble getting the round sponge to saturate. The very back never did seem to take water. Do I just need to submerge it and let it sit, or does the back not absorb anything?

As new you are going to need to squeeze and depress the sponge a bit between your thumb and forefingers while soaking it to get the hard bits to turn soft as it says in the instructions. Once softened and at later refills...you won't have to do that so much.