Guild's nitro finish and the dreaded guitar stand

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't remember if it came with a cloth, I've had the stuff for a year, never had an opportunity to really test it out. I can say that in this instance, it worked well (no affiliation with Eterna Shine).

I will admit I've used microfiber cloth on my guitars when cleaning them, the same kind I use to detail my car. But now you've got me wondering... I think I'll be recycling some old cotton T-shirts.

Yes, be assured, the polyester used to make the thread that makes those cloths and so many other fabrics is in fact harder than NCL. Microfiber just means micro-scratches, on NCL.
Cotton isn't harder than NCL. It's actually almost pure cellulose itself.
Cellulose broken down with nitric acid=nitrocellulose...nitrocellulose dissolved in MEK and acetone and sundry other compounds gives NCLacquer.
Which as it dries leaves behind crystallized cellulose.
Note also that there are many variations of the NCL formula. It's undergone an evolution over the years such that today's NCL's are less environmentally hazardous and a bit more elastic and durable than what Dupont first used as auto paint in the '20's.
Using microfiber on modern clear-coated auto finishes is fine.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
A good thread. It's been discussed on several occasions here, but it's always a good reminder that some materials react with nitro. The stand that I've found to be so very destructive to nitro is this one. https://www.bing.com/images/search?...608048748507828053&selectedIndex=9&ajaxhist=0

I once placed my DV72 0n one of these for just a few days, and like the OP, noticed almost immediately a rectangular spot on the back of the guitar. Fortunately it was caught soon enough that the mark wiped right off with a cotton cloth. The thread also brought back something I've read in Collings literature that finally sunk in with me. I wouldn't have a clue what the finish thickness is on a typical Guild guitar, but Collings says their nitro is .004-.005" thick. In stating this, Collings highly recommends you NOT polish a guitar as polishes are abrasive and remove finish. It's wouldn't take much rubbing with an abrasive to remove .004". A lightly damp cloth does all the cleaning you need.

West

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
A good thread. It's been discussed on several occasions here, but it's always a good reminder that some materials react with nitro. The stand that I've found to be so very destructive to nitro is this one. https://www.bing.com/images/search?...608048748507828053&selectedIndex=9&ajaxhist=0

I once placed my DV72 0n one of these for just a few days, and like the OP, noticed almost immediately a rectangular spot on the back of the guitar. Fortunately it was caught soon enough that the mark wiped right off with a cotton cloth. The thread also brought back something I've read in Collings literature that finally sunk in with me. I wouldn't have a clue what the finish thickness is on a typical Guild guitar, but Collings says their nitro is .004-.005" thick. In stating this, Collings highly recommends you NOT polish a guitar as polishes are abrasive and remove finish. It's wouldn't take much rubbing with an abrasive to remove .004". A lightly damp cloth does all the cleaning you need.

West

Yep, that looks a lot like the one my D55 was sitting on. Different branding, but same construction. I might try Walrus' suggestion and put felt pads on the rubber while closely monitoring the guitar. About the polish, I would agree, using a polish would be a last resort and not to be used on a regular basis.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Clyde, seriously, I'd forget felt pads and buy a Hercules stand. I've hung mine on Hercules hangers for 9 years here, with the exception of wintertime, and have never had a smidgen of a scuff or mark on any of my guitars. Hercules makes hangers and stands of all types, and to my knowledge, all are nitro friendly. Several Hercules models also automatically secure the neck of the guitar as well so even though you might tip over a stand (God forbid), the neck of the guitar will stay secure in Hercules neck locking system. When I place my guitars on their wall hangers, the necks are locked into place. And they're NOT expensive.

West

Yep, that looks a lot like the one my D55 was sitting on. Different branding, but same construction. I might try Walrus' suggestion and put felt pads on the rubber while closely monitoring the guitar. About the polish, I would agree, using a polish would be a last resort and not to be used on a regular basis.

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Clyde, seriously, I'd forget felt pads and buy a Hercules stand. I've hung mine on Hercules hangers for 9 years here, with the exception of wintertime, and have never had a smidgen of a scuff or mark on any of my guitars. Hercules makes hangers and stands of all types, and to my knowledge, all are nitro friendly. Several Hercules models also automatically secure the neck of the guitar as well so even though you might tip over a stand (God forbid), the neck of the guitar will stay secure in Hercules neck locking system. When I place my guitars on their wall hangers, the necks are locked into place. And they're NOT expensive.

West

Yep, I totally agree. I will definitely order a few. I just needed a short term solution since I'm in the middle of a Tonerite treatment on my D55 (I know, I know... no comments plz:) for the next few days and the guitar needs to sit on a stand. Right now I've got some socks on there, which also works.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
thx West :)
Ya, soon to be 7... but the rack isn't an option, I keep them in their humidified cases, for all the reasons Al mentioned, plus I have difficulty keeping humidity levels between 40-50% in the winter even with a humidifier in the room.

Last edited:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Nah, I can't either this time of the year. Here where I live from about March thru November humidity stays between 40%-50%.......I hang them during those months. Right now they're all huddled in their cases with soundhole humidifiers and small cups of water in their cases.

West

thx West :)
Ya, soon to be 7... but the rack isn't an option, I keep them in their humidified cases, for all the reasons Al mentioned, plus I have difficulty keeping humidity levels between 40-50% in the winter even with a humidifier in the room.