Jefferson Airplane live 1970ish (jack's burst starfire)

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
That was great! So often these tapes of old TV shows sound sorta canned. But this sounds... well... LIVE! :applause:

Thanks for posting.

It looks like Jack is playing thru two Bassman heads (behind the drummer), and a 2 x 15 cab.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks. I've seen other Cavett clips but don't recall this one. Unlike many shows of the era it seems like the Cavett show was pretty good abut using lave performances and not lip syncing. Seems to me that one of the Cavett appearances was recorded within a day or two of Woodstock although this one is clearly a couple years later.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I've seen other Cavett clips but don't recall this one. Unlike many shows of the era it seems like the Cavett show was pretty good abut using lave performances and not lip syncing. Seems to me that one of the Cavett appearances was recorded within a day or two of Woodstock although this one is clearly a couple years later.

Nope, unless they were wearing unless Paul was wearing the same clothes many months later,.I think these vids ARE from the "Woodstock Shows".August 18th &19th '69.
Nicky Hopkins on piano, too.

Joni Mitchell was there too.
In fact her agent declined an invitation to perform at Woodstock because it conflicted with her Cavett show appearance....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abPpq6hQ67I&list=PL0923C70470395E29

There's 6 parts:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0923C70470395E29

Jimi Hendrix even made it on, before Woodstock, in July:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yc0LcST5cc

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nope, unless they were wearing unless Paul was wearing the same clothes many months later,.I think these vids ARE from the "Woodstock Shows".August 18th &19th '69.

Don't ask me why but it was Grace's different outfit I noticed in the original clip since I did remember at least one of Day After clips. I could be wrong because everyone ignores the drummer, but at first glance he looked like Joey Covington and not Spencer Dryden.

All that said, the caption on YouTube says

Jefferson Airplane perform "Volunteers" on The Dick Cavett Show, March 26, 1970.

:)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Don't ask me why but it was Grace's different outfit I noticed in the original clip since I did remember at least one of Day After clips. I could be wrong because everyone ignores the drummer, but at first glance he looked like Joey Covington and not Spencer Dryden.

All that said, the caption on YouTube says

:)

Possible re-run or first run of clip from archives?
(Assuming the credit's correct)
OK, now I get it, I never actually clicked on the first link, just assumed pic showing in second link was same set of shows.
I like Grace's outfit in 1970 a LOT better..but of course nothing will ever beat the Boy Howdy Beer ad.