Pilot No 2

Reaction score
Hi there, I have recently aquired a Pilot bass with serial number BE100002. When I saw the pictures on ebay.com I wasn't sure if this is really an early Pilot. But when I received it, it was clear to me that it is really a very early model, even much rarer than this.

I know Pilots. I have bought my first one new in the mid 80s, no. BE101781. I also have BE100789. I owned BE100091, but sold it some years ago to a collector so I know early models, too.

BE 100002 is black, it has a pickguard and EMG pickups powered by a 9 volt battery, but it doesn't have a separate battery compartment like the very early Pilots with pickguard. The battery sits in the electronics compartment, so to change it you have to unassemble the pickguard. I also loosened the strings to
make it easier. The Guild logo is the arrow type. The design of the headstock is different from early Pilots but that hasn't been done later. There are few scratches but no traces of woodwork after paint has been applied to the headstock. There is a three-way switch on the pickguard with no function but has been installed at the same time as the rest of the electronics.

I would be interested to know details about other very early Pilot models with serial numbers close to mine. Also, if anyone's interested in pictures I can provide some. Of course I would be interested in the year no. 2 has been made. Best regards. Frankie

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello Frankie,

Welcome! I'm familiar with those early Pilot basses. A lot of changes were introduced during those early years, but not all at the same time, so there are many variations. There are not too many with that particular headstock; a limited number with the 20-fret fingerboard and somewhat more with the pickguard. The set-up of the P-style pickups changed as well, so there are plenty of choices if you want to collect them all.

Good luck!

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Hans is the expert, although Grot owns abut 20 Pilots and has informed opinions. Maybe he'll offer his.

Reaction score
Hi fellow bass lovers,
thank you for your helpful comments. In fact, BE 100002 has a 20 fret neck.
Not no be misunderstood: I do not intend to buy any other Pilot, that was not my idea joining this forum. It was to get to know more about Pilots and the special one that I have just added to my little collection.
I am living in the northwest of Germany, so maybe I am getting into contact to dutchman Hans one day in the nearer future.
Again, thank you very much for your comments,
best regards
Frankie

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi fellow bass lovers,
thank you for your helpful comments. In fact, BE 100002 has a 20 fret neck.
Not no be misunderstood: I do not intend to buy any other Pilot, that was not my idea joining this forum. It was to get to know more about Pilots and the special one that I have just added to my little collection.
I am living in the northwest of Germany, so maybe I am getting into contact to dutchman Hans one day in the nearer future.
Again, thank you very much for your comments,
best regards
Frankie

Everything I know about Pilots came from Hans, Grot and an article by the late Brian Bowdren.

Serial number dates to 1983 according to the often unreliable online listings. The two changes I know of are "flipping" the P style pickup and adding a scallop on the back. Both were early but I can't quantify when. Based upon my experience attempting to date specific Starfire bass features there is no guarantee that there is a point in time and before that all Pilots had one feature and after that another.

We know that circa 1977 when Guild was phasing out the JS model and introducing the B 30x series, there were some instruments with a JS body but the B 30x pickups, pickguard and controls. Your functionless toggle might be the result of Guild using parts on hand.

Any similarity to Grot's SB-202?

1982dSB-202.jpg

Reaction score
Moin and welcome! It didn’t happen without pictures! ��

I thought you would never ask for pics. Here you are.
No similarity to any SB-202.

In fact it looks like a Pilot, but is has non-series specs. Like the missing of a battery compartment, the not-final headstock, the toggle switch etcetera.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's my 20-fret first generation SB-602 Pilot #19:

rt104-1.jpg

The absence of the arm and belly cuts make it very uncomfortable to play compared to the second generation Pilots!

Second Generation SB-602:

rt099.jpg

Oh sorry, you wanted a rosewood fretboard?

rt108.jpg

I guess while we're on the subject we might as well keep going with the history of the Pilot Bass.

Third generation SB-602: (No pickguard, Pick-ups reversed)

004-1.jpg

Fourth generation SB-602: (Cake Knife headstock, Fretless)

06-15-09023.jpg

Here's a good look at the belly cut:

06-15-09012.jpg

What's that you say, you wanted a 5-String? (SB-605)

100_6512.jpg

(Continued next post!)

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
While we're looking at other models how 'bout an SB-902 Advanced?

Picture003b.jpg

Fifth generation Pro Pilot:

100_6522.jpg

And yes, that also comes in a 5-String:

100_6516.jpg

That will do it for today, class dismissed!

Last edited:
Reaction score
not working link deleted on demand.

I am not used to post pictures in these kind of forums, please excuse. Hope it works, so you should be able to see No. 2 now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
This is BE 100002. Black, pickguard, 20 frets, no belly cuts, early EMGs PJ pickup arrangement, no battery compartment, different headstock, Guild logo in arrow design. Additional toggle switch. Chrome tuners and bridge.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Frankie, ive sent u a PM in your inbox under notifications in the top right of this forum, re: photos.

cheers, and welcome to LTG. Eric

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Frankie, does your Pilot's headstock look like the one on this guitar?

100_6787.jpg

If so, that is super cool! I wish Guild had done more with this headstock.

Reaction score
Hi Grot,
Yes, that's exactly the design of BE100002's headstock. It's a bit complicated to post pics here in the forum, but with a little help from my friends, I will eventually get there.
Anyhow, nice to communicate with all of you! Great forum (except for the possibility of posting pics maybe).
When was that guitar being made?
Best regards, Frankie

Reaction score
Getting old

Frank,

Welcome to LetsTalkGuild!

You cannot post pictures directly from your computer to LTG. You have to post them on a hosting site and then link to them in your posts here. Please see http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?185122-FAQ-Posting-pictures-to-LTG for more details.

Thank you, guys. Good to know it is not possible to post pics directly from my computer. Good to know that, if it's not possible to avoid getting older, I am not getting totally dumb. At least not so quickly. Great relief.

Reaction score
You know what? I like that headstock a lot. It's really pointing towards the audience (or whatever). Generally, I like all the Pilot's headstocks but especially the footprint and this early (arrow type) one. So close to the classic Fender Bass design, but also so different and so much leaner!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well I have that headstock, just not on a pilot!

100_6619.jpg

That is a pretty cool looking bass. Too bad they want so much money for it. it would be interesting to hear Hans' take on it.