Guild T-250 Roy Buchanan Review

matsickma

Reaction score
GAD,

I always assumed Jackson copied the Guild headstock once Guild abandoned the models.

Seeing how Guild designs of the 80's had non characteristic Guild feature I figure some new hotshot guitar designers joined Guild in the 80's and then left to go to Jackson, etc., when Guild filed bankruptcy and stopped making solidbody guitars.

Non of my opinion was based on facts just what I surmised.
M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hmm. I always assumed Jackson was first. Assuming is bad so I did some Groogling and found this:

According to Wikipedia the Jackson headstock first appeared on the Rhoads prototype in 1980:

Traditionally, Jackson (and many Charvel) guitars share the typical pointed headstock that first appeared on the Rhoads prototype in 1980. This likely arose from trade dress infringement issues as a result of Charvel's use of Fender Stratocaster shaped headstocks until the early 1980s. Fender's 2002 acquisition of both the Jackson and Charvel brands has enabled the Strat-style headstock to be reintroduced (under license).

According to this thread over on JCF it looks like Jacksons went into production in '83. The Guild bankruptcy was around '88 as I recall.

According to The Official Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide The Jackson headstock became standard in 1982.

The 1983 Guild catalog I have has the first of the wacky shaped guitars which are the X79 and X82, neither of which show the headstock shape in question.

The 1984 New Guitarchitecture catalog is the first one where I see the very '80s bright pink S284 Aviator on the cover with the headstock:

Of course, I can only make assumptions based on the data I have, but it looks to me like Guild was trying to get some of the shredder market by making guitars with pointy headstocks. I find it fascinating that the early Jacksonesque headstocks look just like Jacksons and then within a year or so they had changed slightly by reversing some angles (see previous post). I don't have the one that Grot posted with the red T250, but I dub that one "the year of the Cake-Knifes" and wonder if it's 1988 which would be around the last catalog before bankruptcy.

As always I'm happy to be proven wrong. I Hopefully by Hans' next book. :watermelon:

matsickma

Reaction score
You did more research on this than me. Now knowing the Jackson headstock began general use in '82 dispels my theory.
Early 80's seemed to be the last time Guild used their standard crown head on the solidbody guitars S25, S250, S275 and revised M80 until the George Grunn era where the slimmer crown head was used. All the new solid bodies were being issues. Many with 25.5 inch scale and bolt-on necks. It sure seemed like some new guitar designers joined the Guild organization.
M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
You must not be reading GAD reviews, it's 25-5/8".

Yeah, but that strikes as the kind of question that would appear on a Guild certification test.

Which of the following scale lengths were commonly used on Guild electric guitars in the 1980s? Choose all that apply.

a) 24 5/8"
b) 25 5/8"
c) 24 3/4"
d) 25 1/2"

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yeah, but that strikes as the kind of question that would appear on a Guild certification test.

Which of the following scale lengths were commonly used on Guild electric guitars in the 1980s? Choose all that apply.

a) 24 5/8"
b) 25 5/8"
c) 24 3/4"
d) 25 1/2"

All of the above!

walrus

matsickma

Reaction score
The data I have for the stacked humbucker pups in "killa" Ohms for the T200/T250 is N16.4k, B23.1k.
I post pictures later.