NGD - yes, no, maybe 1973 F-212

Reaction score
I have a much better picture of the label (not posted) and it does in fact say F212XL. I gotta open up my eyes. The back is very dark and that's the best picture I have of it. Looks like I'll be bailing out of this deal.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have a much better picture of the label (not posted) and it does in fact say F212XL. I gotta open up my eyes. The back is very dark and that's the best picture I have of it. Looks like I'll be bailing out of this deal.

What an interesting Guild! If it is in fact a Hog F212XL then either it was special ordered with the F512 fretboard and inlays in which case makes it very rare, Or someone added a F512 Neck to the guitar itself later on. If it was special ordered it should have "Spec" on the label. Have you run this one by Hans yet for accurate Verification? He may know if a few 212XL's left the factory with the higher end necks/inlays or not. Either way it would give you some clarification at the least. Anxious to hear how this one turns out and good luck with it what ever you decide!

Update: Something to look at when you have it in your hands is to Compare the serial number on the back of the headstock to the serial number on the Label. That should shed some light on whether or not the neck was original to the guitar granted someone didn't alter the soundhole label, Just an idea.

TX

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the sides look alot like rosewood, that is pretty wild if it is mahogany.

Reaction score
The back of the headstock and the label have the same serial number - 93176. The label does not have "Spec' written on it. The sound hole label does not appear to be altered. It's an old style label. FWIW - It appears there are two unused string sets in the case from way back.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The back of the headstock and the label have the same serial number - 93176. The label does not have "Spec' written on it. The sound hole label does not appear to be altered. It's an old style label. FWIW - It appears there are two unused string sets in the case from way back.

I would definitely contact Hans Moust here on the forum or it is easier to email him through his contact info at http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/ as his PM box is normally full here at LTG. He may be able to tell you what the deal is with this particular guitar and hopefully some history on it.

TX

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I don't think we're looking at something that came out of the factory during 1973.
Without actually holding the guitar in my hands I believe that we're looking at a Guild F-212XL from 1973, that was repaired by Guild at a later date.
It looks like it did get a new neck and a new top. However both were not the standard items that you would expect on an F-212XL, but the higher grade stuff that would have been used on an F-512. Obviously some finish work would have been done on the instrument as well.
I do not know if this was a warranty repair or a damaged guitar, so the 'upgraded' materials may have been a favor or a request, but there's no way for me to check that. From what I can see in the photos I would say that the repair may have been done around 1980.
If you buy the guitar, you may want to look at the inside of the top; there might be a date that should give you an idea when approximately the repair was done.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I own a 1970 Guild F-20 that was re-topped by Guild in 1980. Hans sent me a similar message as he sent you about the top features that would not be available in 1970 (bridge, rosette, pick guard, top binding), when my luthier put the mirror under the top, sure enough it was dated 1980. it is the best sounding and playing acoustic guitar I have ever played or heard. whatever you decide, good luck!

Hans also saw the pore filler in my serial numbers on the back of the headstock. the pore filler was not available in 1970, so this meant my entire guitar was refinished, not just the top/body.

Reaction score
Well, I went to Guitar Center in Rockville, MD on Saturday to buy a right angle guitar jack, take my customary walk through the acoustic guitar department and then I see this Guild 12-string on the wall. I'll be back by mid-week to get my deposit back. That guitar has had a difficult life. New top, new neck and it still has a lot of flaws that would need to be addressed - saddle is low, bridge is lifting, wood drying out, frets seemed low and there are several rough spots, specifically around the nut and neck heel. I'm not prepared to take on a project and I think it could be a tough guitar to sell from one individual to another. I suspect that is why the guitar was sold to Guitar Center, instead of placed on EBAY, Reverb, etc. Just my take. Thanks to everybody for their input.

That Guitar Center is near a Trek Bicycle shop I frequent and a liquor store (Gilly's) that serves craft beer, wine and has a simple but tasty food menu. On Sunday at 1:00 pm Gilly's was packed. I usually stop in all three places when I'm in the area.

http://www.gillyscbfw.com

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Reaction score
Who else enjoys beating a dead horse?

I returned to the store to get my money returned. In doing so, I discussed with the store manager the information I had on the guitar. He seemed not to care. He did call me up a couple of hours later and told me the the vintage guitar department at Guitar Center is now saying the guitar is a F412. After I got off the phone I discovered the F412 is maple back and sides. :tongue-new:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Who else enjoys beating a dead horse?

I returned to the store to get my money returned. In doing so, I discussed with the store manager the information I had on the guitar. He seemed not to care. He did call me up a couple of hours later and told me the the vintage guitar department at Guitar Center is now saying the guitar is a F412. After I got off the phone I discovered the F412 is maple back and sides. :tongue-new:

Now you cant tell 'em it's an F512neck that somehow got an F212XL body.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of a story an antiques dealer told me. The dealer assured me that one of the items in his store was the original "Bowie" knife owned by Jim Bowie. He confided in me that "over the years the blade and tang have been replaced several times, and the handle has been changed... but this is Jim Bowie's knife!" :biggrin-new:

Last edited:
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of a story an antiques dealer told me. The dealer assured me that one of the items in his store was the original "Bowie" knife owned by Jim Bowie. He confided in me that "over the years the blade and tang have been replaced several times, and the handle has been changed... but this is Jim Bowie's knife!" :biggrin-new:

LOL!! Oh, and the manager also told me that the label was incorrectly identifying the guitar as an F212XL.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Now you cant tell 'em it's an F512neck that somehow got an F212XL body.
Too funny. I was wondering when you were going to chime in.

I see I typo'd there but I think you realize I meant "can" not "cant" ("can't")
Actually the mystery was solved so quickly and well I just stayed quiet, but I couldn't resist that last one.
I suppose you could send Hans' evaluation to Guitar Center but in the long run would it do any good?
On reflection though, it might be nice for the eventual buyer to know exactly how the guitar got a non-standard neck.
Almost wish I had time and space and money for the repairs, I think it's really cool.
Love the fact that it got that way at the factory.

Reaction score
Well, I did a quick stop in GC today to see check on the guitar. It was gone. Shouldn't be long now before somebody comes on LTG looking for more information.:emptiness: