NGD - yes, no, maybe 1973 F-212

Reaction score
I came across this guitar in a store today. Price was $1199.00. Serial number 93176. They just took the guitar in and can't sell it until 02/18. I could hold it until then. I have more pictures, but thought I'd first ask for some feedback. The side of the neck has a couple of rough spots. The back of the case has a couple of gashes. The headstock has a G shield. The lettering and shield are raised slightly. I thought they would be flat. The ones I've just seen on Reverb use the Chesterfield logo.

I hope my images show up. I'm a new ingur user.

TFjpS0b.jpg

fdkm9ry.jpg

LbwVy6j.jpg

8kXMpkV.jpg

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
F-212 should be mahogany back and sides. That side shot looks like rosewood (tho' there is not enough shown to be sure), which I think would make it an F-512, which fits with the G-shield and ab and pearl fret markers.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
looks like a flat back (from the inside) and rosewood side, this has to be an F-512. $1199 is a fantastic price for one from 1973. good luck!

Reaction score
The sales tag(probably/possibly wrong) says F-212 Blonde. Does not look blonde to me unless it is stained.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
The "Blonde" may refer to the "natural finish" top. Features that indicate this may be a F-512... Gold hardware; "G" shield on headstock; two-tone abalone/pearl "V" inlays on fretboard; extra layers of B/W/B binding on fretboard; bracing for a flatback guitar. The store may have misread the 512 for a 212. If the guitar checks out structurally, with a good neck angle, that is a heck of a deal!

wileypickett

Reaction score
If it's structurally sound and needs little work, that's a great price for an F512. Most go for 1600 to over two grand depending on condition. Even if you decide later that it's not for you, you can more than make your money back reselling it.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
The logo and shield being raised is probably due to a past drying out - the wood shrinks but the inlays don't.

Are the rough spots on the neck on each side of the nut, sort of matched? That might indicate a stress crack as it is the weak spot of the neck.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The sales tag(probably/possibly wrong) says F-212 Blonde. Does not look blonde to me unless it is stained.

never say never with Guild...but I am pretty sure there is no such thing as an "F-212 Blonde" AND IF THERE WERE I have not a clue how someone would think this guitar would be one of those. This is an F-512, I think we have well established. at some point you stop asking questions and take action. $1200 is a great deal for one from 1973..."whatever it is ; "

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I'm going back tomorrow for another look. I can put down 25% and still cancel on 02/18. I suspect they will negotiate. There is also something going on around the neck heel. It may not be clear in the photo.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I'm going back tomorrow for another look. I can put down 25% and still cancel on 02/18. I suspect they will negotiate. There is also something going on around the neck heel. It may not be clear in the photo.

Nice , better quality pics would help some . Neck heal could be from a past reset , being that old I would think it had one by now but that’s just a guess . Good luck :)

Reaction score
More photos, these should provide more details........I put a down payment on it today, so it's off the showroom floor and I can still cancel the sale. It sounds real nice and I haven't played much twelve string.

(They put a 30 hold on the guitar in the event it gets reported as stolen.)

wNrza2e.jpg

AV1wtDJ.jpg

EbMBaGV.jpg

C0tE7x3.jpg

zMbAsGY.jpg

y1cUHmZ.jpg

p6mYx4a.jpg

h18wE8F.jpg

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That guitar has probably had a neck reset, as Ray mentioned. Which if it's done well and right, means you won't have to bother with having it done. Did you use a straight edge and check the neck angle? How's the action on it?

Reaction score
The action was good, but I did not use a straight edge to check the neck angle. The saddle was low and the bridge was lifting. There was also some rough spots around the nut. If I go through with the purchase, I am prepared to spend some $$ on it. As I'm writing this stuff out, I'm getting a bit nervous. I've never bought a used guitar. It did sound nice. Looks like I'll have to go back to kick the tires a bit more.

refret

Reaction score
Hmmmm......if it was a 512, the back should be rosewood and have a center back strip. If it was a stained 412, (maple) the back should be arched. I see back braces in there and the back looks flat. Someone put a 512 neck on a 212XL body??? Color me confused.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
That photo of the back is really dark, could you post one that shows the grain in more light? I'm with Refret, if it's not rosewood, I'm confused too.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was going to ask that too, Bill. What does the label say when you went to look at it. That stain in the lacquer is VERY dark and it's impossible to determine for sure that it's rosewood or mahogany. What did it say?? My DV-72 has a fairly dark tint to the lacquer but you can still tell it's rosewood fairly clearly.