My great F512 Adventure

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Something you will find when you play the New Hartford F512 is that it has an Amazingly Balanced tone with tons of low end, strong mids, and Sparkling highs. It is so perfect the way it is that the thought of changing individual strings gauges never crossed my mind. I have also played my F512's in Drop D tuning as well as tuning the whole thing down half a step. When tuned down a half a step the F512 has a Wonderful Gritty deep tone to it. At standard tuning it sounds like 10,000 angels singing when you strum it.

Totally febrile in anticipation of my first strum of the F512... Really nervous though, I hope she arrives in one piece.

Meanwhile, I gotta find a way to tell my wife I bought another guitar... :tongue-new:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just tell her one of us gifted it to you or you can always try temporary amnesia. Never worked for me but it might be worth a shot.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Totally febrile in anticipation of my first strum of the F512... Really nervous though, I hope she arrives in one piece.

Meanwhile, I gotta find a way to tell my wife I bought another guitar... :tongue-new:

"Oh - THAT one? I´ve had it for years - borrowed it to a friend who sent it back... btw - I have never seen those shoes and that blouse before ... "

ClydeTower

Reaction score
"Oh - THAT one? I´ve had it for years - borrowed it to a friend who sent it back... btw - I have never seen those shoes and that blouse before ... "

Good one!

I just keep em separated and hide them around the house. As long as she doesn't see them all together, she thinks they're all the same guitar :)

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good one!

I just keep em separated and hide them around the house. As long as she doesn't see them all together, she thinks they're all the same guitar :)

Wise, wise, WISE advice.

I put them all in one place, and SWMBO knows exactly how many are there, and when the count goes to N+1, I am interrogated.

hAu49RS.jpg

ClydeTower

Reaction score
So today is the big day! I'll be driving from Montreal down across the border to Champlain NY, to pick-up my newly acquired 2014 NH F512. Got all my paperwork ready. For anybody who needs it, here are some handy links to documents that I've uploaded to my phone in case I need to make the case to the border agent that no import or export permits are needed when carrying a guitar containing less than 10Kg of appendix II rosewood across the border as a "personal item" (not commercially sold):

https://www.fws.gov/international/p...appendix-II-timber-listings-December-2016.pdf
https://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/letter-appendix-II-timber-listings-november-2016.pdf

Also, a handy document that dates the guitar based on Guild's serial number:
http://support.guildguitars.com/downloads/datingyourguild.pdf
Owner's manual:
http://cordobamusicgroup.com/datash...ts/2015_Guild_Owner_Manual_051216_spreads.pdf
http://guildguitars.com/g/f-512/

I also printed out my Ebay/Paypal receipt and Ebay listing.

I'll be bringing along my trusty Extech hygrometer/thermometer to help me maintain the same temperature in my car as was in the warehouse over the past 48 hours. Its been cold lately, single digits (F) during the last day of transport to Champlain. I hope she's OK and that 48 hours is enough to let her acclimate to the warehouse temp of 50-60F. I'll also bring some Boveda humidity packs to throw into the case.

Hopefully, the border agent won't ask to inspect the guitar, but if he does, I will ask that he do so in the car.

I will report back once she's arrived at home safe and sound :)

Last edited:

idealassets

Reaction score
I would not put any humidity packs into the case until it has warmed up to house temperature after 24 hours.

IMO perhaps you can gradually warm the car temperature up to match your house temperature.

Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I'm happy to report that, after a long journey, my F512 has made it safely to its new home. I was able to unbox and open the case inside the warehouse where it had been kept for the last 2 days at about 50-60F. No cracks or checking to be found! (please insert sigh of relief here). I gave her a quick look over, it looks great cosmetically, like new condition as the seller had specified. Mind you, I will do a thorough inspection once the guitar has settled in. It's currently in my basement in its case where its a cool 65F and humidity of 40. I'll leave it be for now, although its really tempting to take it out and take her for a spin.

All in all, everything went really smoothly at the border. Once I crossed into the US, the warehouse was about a half mile from there. People at the Kinek Border Mail Depot in Champlain were super nice and helpful. So after checking the guitar to make sure it was ok, I drove back to the border, ready to be interrogated (am I the only one that's always stressed out when crossing the border, like I'm hiding a pound of coke in my car or something?). So basically, I declared the guitar, the border agent asked me how much I paid for it, I showed him the Ebay receipt for $2200 USD. The only question he had for me was: "Why is it so expensive?" to which I answered: "Well... it's a Guild F512 12 string guitar, the grand daddy of all 12 string guitars". He looked at me, silent, for about 5 seconds, and then said: "Ok. Go to cashier to pay xx$ in taxes. Have a good day."... and that was it. Not a single word about CITES regulations, import permits, rosewood, etc... He never even asked to see the guitar. It was like bringing in a case of toilet paper.

In any event, maybe I went a little overboard with the preparation, but rather be safe than sorry. Glad it all worked out.
I will post some pictures soon, after she gets here beauty rest and have had the opportunity to give her a good inspection.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and again to TX for the find!

merlin6666

Reaction score
Congratulations on a smooth transaction. I have been to Montreal several times, but did not realize it was so close to the border until I looked up where Champlain was.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So basically, I declared the guitar, the border agent asked me how much I paid for it, I showed him the Ebay receipt for $2200 USD. The only question he had for me was: "Why is it so expensive?" to which I answered: "Well... it's a Guild F512 12 string guitar, the grand daddy of all 12 string guitars". He looked at me, silent, for about 5 seconds, and then said: "Ok. Go to cashier to pay xx$ in taxes. Have a good day."... and that was it. Not a single word about CITES regulations, import permits, rosewood, etc... He never even asked to see the guitar. It was like bringing in a case of toilet paper.
Well darn.
In the movie we're gonna have to take some artistic license and rewrite that so that the agent turns out to be a vintage guitar fanatic and begs you for a chance to play it.
And then almost drops it. A heart-stopping almost.
Hey I gotta earn my pay around here somehow, write? (pun intended)
:shocked:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Clyde, So glad everything worked out for you and so glad you have the 12 string of your dreams! Can't wait to hear the report on it after you get to spend some quality time with it. This story is definitely something that brings a smile to my face in what has otherwise been a pretty rough week. Enjoy it man!

TX

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well darn.
In the movie we're gonna have to take some artistic license and rewrite that so that the agent turns out to be a vintage guitar fanatic and begs you for a chance to play it.
And then almost drops it. A heart-stopping almost.
Hey I gotta earn my pay around here somehow, write? (pun intended)
:shocked:

You forgot the car chase.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
This was like a good novel-I enjoyed the ride and know the final chapter will bring a happy ending. And you might be the next James Bond!
TX - hope next week is better

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So today is the big day! I'll be driving from Montreal down across the border to Champlain NY, to pick-up my newly acquired 2014 NH F512.

It certainly has been a great adventure. Can't wait to see how it turns out. :listening_headphone