Getting pick out of acoustic guitar

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
In my last lesson, I was trying to play Bill and Gloria Gaither's song, He Touched Me, when the pick slipped from my fingers and "swished" the sound hole in my DV52. I just stopped playing and my teacher gave me two pieces of advice:
1. You don't stop playing but continue with thumb and fingers
2. Have extra picks for use on next song.
Then he told me to get the pick out. So I turned the DV52 upside down and began shaking it. After about a minute he said, "let me show you a little trick."
He turned the guitar rightside up and positioned the pick in the upper right corner then spun the guitar over clockwise. He might have had a little neck to back slant. He shook the guitar 3 or 4 times and out it came. Has worked for me many times.
What is your "trick"
for getting out a pick?

crank

Reaction score
Figured that one out by myself a long time ago. I keep a couple of picks in my beater, camping, beaching guitar so that i will always have one when I need one. They never ever fall out on their own.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pretty much what you're doing - position the pick straight below the sound hole, flip the guitar over, the pick falls right out.

Recently did this and saw a dust ball rolling around inside my D-25M. Haven't seen it again, it's probably hung up on the pickup wiring or something. Elderly Instruments has a whole collection of guitar dust balls in a frame on the wall by their repair center.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Me , I just bump it underneath the sound hole to lower side then flip comes out every time but shaking the living bejeuse out of it is fun to

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bullzeye in the sound hole and flip over quick. My Ovations have a smooth back, so getting it there, is easy. In fact the 12 string has a removable disk for accessing the wiring guts. Of course, it's a lot harder to get a pick in one with the 22 small sound hole thing.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Anyone ever find a rattlesnake rattle in a vintage guitar? The old legend in the South is that a rattlesnake rattle in the body of your Dreadnought or Jumbo guitar is supposed to help ward off evil spirits... and bring a musician good luck! :devilish:

It can even help you win the flat picking contest at a Fiddlers Convention.

jcwu

Reaction score
Saran wrap over the soundhole. Prevents the pick falling in in the first place.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Take off all the strings, retrieve the pick, give the guitar a thorough cleaning, restring with a new set of strings, tune the guitar and play it like never before!

*If anyone buys that remedy click WTF? :victorious:

Joe