Hello boys and girls

TonyT

Reaction score
Howdy everyone. Hope you all are doing well. I usually follow along here every month or so and it's always good to get on here and see what you knuckleheads have been up to. In my damnable quest to own every D25 in the world, I've been looking at one on Reverb. I've never used it before. I'm sure several of you have, though. Any issues with the Reverb site?

TT

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Tony, long time no see! I've bought and sold a few on Reverb, and like them a lot better than eBay, which of course might be damning them with faint praise. I say go for it!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Knucklehead, ay? Eh - I've been called worse. :biggrin-new:

I've used Reverb many times without issue, but then I think most deals can be figured out in short order by communication. Example:

Guy lists a NS S200 on Reverb for $500 with no description other than "Excellent guitar" along with some pics.

I send a message: "Hey there - does the guitar have any imperfections no matter how small? Does it smell? Any issues I should know about?"

He replies (this is a copy and paste): "what do think excellent means . i think i mite jack up the price i'm getting to many of these messages" Which he did - to $650 + shipping. I probably could have scored a good deal if I'd just bought it, but I'm much happier knowing that I didn't deal with that guy. God forbid I'd gotten it and something had gone wrong.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No issues with Reverb whatsoever. They are superb and very helpful. You can still run into the same deadbeat buyers and sellers you do on Ebay or any other site. I've had a few less than honest buyers I've had to deal with. But, I won't let that stop me from listing there again and again. After all, if it weren't for Reverb, Ebay would still be at a final value fee of 10% vs. their current 3% which just happens to be what Reverb was at since day one.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Check the Seller's return policy and then proceed accordingly. If you pay via Paypal and have a dispute...you will be using Paypal to settle the dispute. If you pay via Reverb's pay service....then Reverb handles the dispute (if any) according to their rules. Both Paypal and Reverb protect the parties in mostly similar ways...but you should read the policies of each.

idealassets

Reaction score
I send a message: "Hey there - does the guitar have any imperfections no matter how small? Does it smell? Any issues I should know about?"

He replies (this is a copy and paste): "what do think excellent means . i think i mite jack up the price i'm getting to many of these messages" Which he did - to $650 + shipping. I probably could have scored a good deal if I'd just bought it, but I'm much happier knowing that I didn't deal with that guy. God forbid I'd gotten it and something had gone wrong.

No problem, you probably averted a bum deal. If a person is peddling some junk, they get defensive. No problem since if an item has nothing to hide, it usually attracts decent buyers and precludes an honest buyer from meeting up with an unscrupulous seller.

archiestone

Reaction score
Guild Total
Better for buying than selling, imo. If you listing something with the "accept offers" option prepare for some -serious- lowballing!

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well, well, will wonders never cease...Tony T is back in the house! :victorious:
My brother called me 'knucklehead' so I can handle it. Good to see you back on campus.

What ever happened to that nice D35 I sent your way a thousand years ago?

Curious Joe

TonyT

Reaction score
I've played 70s. 80s and 90s. Some of each were great and some of each were not. I'm not that particular. if I play them a while and we don't get along, out it goes. The best one I ever played I bought on here from Scratch. Back then I wanted to play lots of guitars so like a dummy, I let it go. The truth is, I have no idea what era that on was. On the upper bout there was a fake volume control knob. It was awesome. The worst part is that I know who bought it and he won't sell it back to me. I told him I'd pay a grand straight up (doubles his money) and he laughed in my face.

Last edited:

TonyT

Reaction score
Well, well, will wonders never cease...Tony T is back in the house! :victorious:
My brother called me 'knucklehead' so I can handle it. Good to see you back on campus.

What ever happened to that nice D35 I sent your way a thousand years ago?

Curious Joe

Honestly, I don't know Joe. I might have traded it for a mandolin, which I then gave away to a guy in a band called the Disillin Whikseys.

littlebiscuit

Reaction score
Tony!!! Well....it looks like the old band is back together again!! Hart here...when's the next LTG gathering? I'm coming out of retirement. Sandy, you there, buddy?

tjmangum

Reaction score
Good to see you Tony. I still think about that D25 I found for you, bought back, sent back. That was the best I've ever found.
Cheers!

TonyT

Reaction score
I've made some poor sales decisions for sure. Terry, I hope you're well.
Good to see you Tony. I still think about that D25 I found for you, bought back, sent back. That was the best I've ever found.
Cheers!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tony!!! Well....it looks like the old band is back together again!! Hart here...when's the next LTG gathering? I'm coming out of retirement. Sandy, you there, buddy?

Yessir Hart! Good to see you stop by.

As for D25s, the best one I ever played was my old '95 D26. That was maybe the best bang for the buck guitar I ever owned.

9394181985_cd34250068_b.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
DAMN that's nice! Had not seen / heard of this model - something to watch for!
Special run of D25's for Guitar Center, "IIRC" about who they were made for.
They all had the same appointments in terms of shade of body stain* and white binding and gold hardware, and called 'em D26's, that I remember off the top of my head.
*Can't recall if it's actually unstainedor just very lightly stained 'hog.

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Special run of D25's for Guitar Center, "IIRC" about who they were made for.
They all had the same appointments in terms of shade of body stain* and white binding and gold hardware, and called 'em D26's, that I remember off the top of my head.
*Can't recall if it's actually unstainedor just very lightly stained 'hog.

That's correct Al. It was a pretty small run of only a few hundred guitars at most. The mahogany on the sides and back was unstained, and really looks great, much better than the dark stain you see on most hog Guilds. Sometimes I regret selling this one; I loved it, but I wasn't crazy about the narrowish nut. It was a great guitar for sure.