New F512's issued. Canadian dealer is advertising them.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I saw this on reverb.com and I'm quite ecstatic to see them available "BRAND NEW" from Cordoba after waiting so long. PS- they offer a "19% price drop": https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Guild F512 guitar

I'm doubtful that this is a Cordoba built guitar....where does it say? This "Tundra Music" seems to have purchased A LOT of New Hartford inventory and they are selling new/never previously sold New Hartford Guilds. They have been trying to sell a New Hartford F-20....new....for approx. $2K for a LONG LONG time. I tried to deal with them....and decided to pass. I didn't like my interaction with them and I didn't want to have to return (if necessary) via International shipping.

I do believe that Tundra Music is one of (if not THE) biggest Guild dealer in Canada. This could be a Cordoba built guitar....but I'm dubious.

Edit: Oh...I see 'coming soon'....so they don't even have it in stock....maybe you are correct!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm doubtful that this is a Cordoba built guitar....where does it say? This "Tundra Music" seems to have purchased A LOT of New Hartford inventory and they are selling new/never previously sold New Hartford Guilds.
YES.
I think Ideal jumped to a conclusion, not realizing that there's actually some NOS floating around out there.
AFAIK Cordoba hasn't built a single 12-string yet and only just announced production on the F55's these would be based on.

I didn't like my interaction with them and I didn't want to have to return (if necessary) via International shipping.
I think it was Merlin6666 who had similar frustrating interaction with them about a year ago when trying to purchase an Orpheum that kept alternating between being available and unavailable: "IIRC".

I do believe that Tundra Music is one of (if not THE) biggest Guild dealer in Canada. This could be a Cordoba built guitar....but I'm dubious.

Edit: Oh...I see 'coming soon'....so they don't even have it in stock....maybe you are correct!
Do you mean the "Coming Soon" on Guild's website?
That just confirms what I suspected, they haven't started building 'em yet, but I think the items Tundra's showing right now are New Hartfords as explained above and consistent with their previous practice.
"Not that there's anything wrong with that".
Edit:
The Reverb listing also shows "1 in stock" on the Antique Burst.
It MUST be a New Hartford.

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Do you mean the "Coming Soon" on Guild's website?
That just confirms what I suspected, they haven't started building 'em yet, but I think the items Tundra's showing right now are New Hartfords as explained above and consistent with their previous practice.
"Not that there's anything wrong with that".
Edit:
The Reverb listing also shows "1 in stock" on the Antique Burst.
It MUST be a New Hartford.
If I remember correctly, they did this before with Oxnard stuff; pre-listing them before they had them in stock.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, they did this before with Oxnard stuff; pre-listing them before they had them in stock.

"Coming Soon" is on Guild's site.
The Reverb listing from Tundra shows "1 in stock" on the Antique Burst listing.
Not that that refutes your recollection, Tundra might have well advertised for pre-orders on other models..
For sure Sweetwater was offering pre-orders on M20's, for example.

idealassets

Reaction score
So sorry, I see the "coming soon" in their 2nd page views now, which probably trumps the "Brand New" in their main ad's. I also see that the burst has the old neck strap pin location as in the "until 2012" version. Additionally Tundra Music is stating "F512 Maple Blond", although the guitar listed definately has a flat back rosewood body in their images.

I may have rushed this post out innerantly, since I have been shopping for an F412, and my search brought me to these.

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I've been looking religiously every day at the Reverb listings for an F512 burst and have seen the Tundra listings for a while. Myself being in Canada, I've been tempted to contact them to inquire about their stock Guilds but haven't done so cause a new upcoming Cordoba F512 will run about 5K in Canada, which is a bit rich for my blood. Add to that a poor customer experience as reported by fellow LTGers... think I'll pass on Tundra. Besides, I think a good pre-owend New Hartford would be a better deal. I'm still curious to see though if pre-owned Guild prices will rise once Cordoba starts pumping out new stock.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've been looking religiously every day at the Reverb listings for an F512 burst and have seen the Tundra listings for a while. Myself being in Canada, I've been tempted to contact them to inquire about their stock Guilds but haven't done so cause a new upcoming Cordoba F512 will run about 5K in Canada, which is a bit rich for my blood. Add to that a poor customer experience as reported by fellow LTGers... think I'll pass on Tundra. Besides, I think a good pre-owend New Hartford would be a better deal. I'm still curious to see though if pre-owned Guild prices will rise once Cordoba starts pumping out new stock.

Clyde, I'm about 99% positive they're offering a brand new New Hartford in those Reverb listings.
As an authorized dealer it's pretty likely they can actually offer warranty on it, that was part of the deal when Cordoba bought Guild, ii case that's handy to know and you'd consider dealing with 'em for that bird-in-the-hand-and- warranted-besides advantage.
They may be anxious to unload 'em now before new stock hits the market which normally drives the price of "Last year's models" down.
Pre-owned Guild prices will probably fall when new Cordoba stock is available.
Unless they're very unfavorably reviewed.
Their toughest critics are probably right here on this forum: we all want 'em to succeed but some of us "traditionalists" have issues with some of their build techniques.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Clyde, I'm about 99% positive they're offering a brand new New Hartford in those Reverb listings.
No, Tundra just posted for advertising reasons one of each new Oxnard model, the rosewood F-512, the E version, the ATB version, the Maple version, the Maple E version... All are marked as "coming soon" which could be end of 2018. I believe the F-512 model will only be introduced at Summer NAMM as they were not on the Winter NAMM list this week. The F-512 Rosewood is in the 2018 catalog but not the F-512 Maple. I am not sure they are ready with the old press yet to produce the arched maple backs. Especially as they only introduce the F-55 Rosewood in NAT and ATB this week but not the F-55 Maple. One step after another.
Below picture shows the two F-55s ready for NAMM in Oxnard.

27024120_10155057641116105_367839862077159323_o.jpg

Ralf

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Is it me or is that burst not "even" or "symmetrical"? Bottom right corner in particular...

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oxnard hasn't been very good at producing Burst finishes with an even and symmetrical pattern. There are several examples of Brand New D20's and M20's that have offset and uneven burst patterns on the front and back of the guitars. Looking at the prototype Jumbo leads me to think the same guy is still spraying the Burst finishes and whoever that is needs some glasses, LOL!

TX

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Prototypes...Still not good if they show those at NAMM...Width of the burst is uneven.
Ralf

Add to that a fair amount of runout on both tops. Looks like things are still a work in progress in Oxnard.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You'd think they could get a good auto body spray guy to show them how to do an even paint line.

I suspect the bottom right, where the arc is a bit off is where they had to change directions. Down from the top from left to right, then stop and come down from right to left. The pattern meets at the change over. Makes me think he/she is left handed.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Granted, the 512 is a legend, but the 4k price tag (with a 19% discount!) is dangerously nearing the "ridiculous" mark to me.
Ah..... where are those days when Guild embodied the "affordable quality" concept...... :sorrow:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm still curious to see though if pre-owned Guild prices will rise once Cordoba starts pumping out new stock.

Interesting question. My recollection is used prices for MIA rose slightly or stayed the same between Corona and New Hartford. Used prices were stable while New Hartford was in operation and New Hartford prices rose slightly during the time between when it closed and Oxnard started production. I expect prices to remain stable unless Oxnard has a major success or a major failure. My opinion is that the new and used markets for Guilds are somewhat independent. The actual prices are far enough that some people will always buy used because of the lower price and some people will always buy new, primarily for the warranty.

The only price overlap I recall is between used MIA and new MIC and there I don't think you are really comparing apples and oranges.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This is just from my personal experience but in 2014 before the announcement that New Hartford was closing and Guild had been sold I purchased a Brand New with full factory warranty First Run 2014 Guild F512 with the DTAR Multisource pickup system and Premium Faux Alligator case from an Authorized Guild dealer for $2500 shipped to the front door. This was not a factory second or a scratch and dent and was perfect in every way. That same guitar 4 years later in the same like new condition is now selling for $2500 used without the $250 Factory Pickup system or Factory warranty. Mind you there has been no new production of F512's since 2014 and Cordoba didn't introduce their prototype F512 at Winter Namm this year which means it won't be introduced until Summer Namm 2018 at the earliest. Based on previous Cordoba Production patterns that means the F512 may be into production by the end of 2018 if we are lucky. It is More likely they will actually be in dealer hands for sale in early 2019. With Cordoba's Guitar Prices climbing for new models and the quality of a New F512 from Oxnard yet to be determined I figure the already scarce and coveted New Hartford Models could jump a bit in price half way between what they are going for now and what Cordoba is planning on charging for a New F512. I have seen similar jump in the prices for used New Hartford made D55's in like new condition since Cordoba released their new D55 model a few months back. Once again this is just my experience and observations of the fluctuation of the market that I have seen recently. Other's opinions and conclusions may differ based on individual experiences.

I will be anxious to try an Oxnard made F512 when they do arrive to compare it to my two New Hartford F512's that I love so much. Regardless of where the used market goes for the New Hartford F512 models, Mine will be staying with me on a permanent basis as I seriously doubt I could ever find a worthy replacement for either of them.

TX

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Interesting question. My recollection is used prices for MIA rose slightly or stayed the same between Corona and New Hartford. Used prices were stable while New Hartford was in operation and New Hartford prices rose slightly during the time between when it closed and Oxnard started production. I expect prices to remain stable unless Oxnard has a major success or a major failure. My opinion is that the new and used markets for Guilds are somewhat independent. The actual prices are far enough that some people will always buy used because of the lower price and some people will always buy new, primarily for the warranty.

The only price overlap I recall is between used MIA and new MIC and there I don't think you are really comparing apples and oranges.

Good point. However, I have this gut feeling that the F512 will see a rise in prices, both on the new and used markets because of the scarcity on the used market (there are literally no pre-owned F512 out there... well maybe in Japan :) and because they've been out of of production for a few years. Plus, I'm feeling Cordoba is going to want to cash in on the legendary reputation of the F512 as being one of the finest 12 strings out there. Is their version of the F512 going to live up to that reputation, we shall see. If it does, I think it just adds to the overall desirability of owning an F512, whether new or used, which would push up prices. If it doesn't, pre-owned F512s would probably become ever more sought after, driving up prices even more.

I dunno, but I'm feeling that the days of hi-end Guilds being the best bang for buck quality guitars might be nearing the end... hope not though!

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I will be anxious to try an Oxnard made F512 when they do arrive to compare it to my two New Hartford F512's that I love so much. Regardless of where the used market goes for the New Hartford F512 models, Mine will be staying with me on a permanent basis as I seriously doubt I could ever find a worthy replacement for either of them.
TX

Well, if you ever do decide to part with it, please let me know!