Is there a "revival of the 12 string"?

Jerry1

Reaction score
I was reading an article titled THE GUILD F-512 in the November 2016 issue of Vintage Guitar magazine and it mentioned the "revival of the 12 string". Since I've got a '76 G312 on it's way to me and I already have another 12 string, I wondered if this "revival" is real and felt by others on this forum? I personally haven't noticed a revival of 12'ers in my travels, but my experiences are limited. I would like to see more 12's around and one of my reasons for buying another one is to experiment with some alternate tunings while I leave one in standard tuning so I can easily return to normal.

So, any input on this? Are 12 strings being used more now than in the recent past and are they being used more today with alternate tunings, or is it just more players with more instruments and more visability?

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't think it's a 12 string revival, but I think acoustic players are looking for more varied sounds than they used to. Alternate tunings, baritone guitars, etc. That means more people may try out a 12 string, but I don't think they are getting any bump in 12 string sales numbers.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, I'm biased - I've been focusing on the 12-string the last couple of years.... :tiger:

gfj350.jpg

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a 12 string revival, but I think acoustic players are looking for more varied sounds than they used to. Alternate tunings, baritone guitars, etc. That means more people may try out a 12 string, but I don't think they are getting any bump in 12 string sales numbers.

I agree. I do think I see an acoustic guitar "revival", and that should cause a bump in 12-string sales.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, what are you waiting for? :tiger:

oh i firmly believe i will be an F112 owner one day. I cannot think of a better no frills Guild 12 compliment to my old no frills D25 Br.

Mark WW

Reaction score
I never see many 12's in the stores other than cheap EPi's or Fender or Mitchell's. But I welcome more interest. I always buy sight unseen but it is not my preference.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I'd say the revival, if that's what it is, started a lot earlier than 2016, and a lot of the credit for that has to go to Taylor who introduced a bunch of 12 string models to their line-up early on, and pioneered the slimmer neck and comfortable neck profile that has pretty much become the industry standard.

A wider selection of 12-string models that weren't a bear to play, meant more people took up the instrument than might have done in the past.

My first 12-string was a Framus (terrible); my second was a solid top Yamaha (good), my third and fourth were Taylors (including the Leo Kottke Signature Model, which I still have), then I discovered the Guild jumbos, which I consider the best sounding 12-strings out there -- I have a bunch, both Westerly and Hoboken.

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, I'm biased - I've been focusing on the 12-string the last couple of years.... :tiger:

gfj350.jpg

I'm a bit biased in the other direction. If it weren't for the fact they sound like an angelic chorus I could easily say I detest most everything about them. Like maintenance, keeping them in tune, changing strings etc. (my daddy was right. I'm basically a lazy SOB just looking for the easiest way thru life). But you just can't argue with the sound so I usually have at least one on hand. Currently, it's a 1973 F 512 I just took up to my Guitar guy for some much needed (and costly I'm afraid) work. Looking forward to getting it back though. I do miss that sound for sure.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I've never been able to bond with 12-strings, but a few years ago I did play an 8-string (D & G octaves) Taylor baritone I liked. Didn't buy it, though.

-Dave-

Mark WW

Reaction score
I'd say the revival, if that's what it is, started a lot earlier than 2016, and a lot of the credit for that has to go to Taylor who introduced a bunch of 12 string models to their line-up early on, and pioneered the slimmer neck and comfortable neck profile that has pretty much become the industry standard.

I would suggest a slimmer neck on a 12 string is not a good thing. There are already too many guitars that sport that 60's slim taper hand cramping profile. There are a lot of us that want more fatties. Yup I said it. Give me a fat neck like my 12 string Seagull with a 1.9" nut width and my 6 string Recording King with a 1-13/16" nut.

mike1100

Reaction score
Hello. Long time lurker and new member. While anecdotal, I do feel like the 12-string is getting a bit more attention. However, time will tell if it gains real traction.

Lots of new guitarists watch this guy's videos. I was surprised to see he elected to showcase a 12 string for it, but that might inspire a few folks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAAYu09S_B8.

A week ago I read comments from some folks that were excited about Martin releasing a re-done HD12-28 as part of their 2018 revamp of their standard series. Also, awhile back a lady I know asked me about 12 strings, because Taylor Swift sometimes plays one (laughing).

12s aren't my thing, but like Tom Petty said, "It's a color you can use when you want to." I mostly think of Tom Petty or Gordon Lightfoot when 12 strings are mentioned.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And as much as I say I don't care for 12 strings I just keep going down that road. I found a F 112 on the local CL for $600. Soundboard shows wear but back, sides, board, frets, neck angle etc. all appear to be good. I'm meeting him this weekend.

Don't know if $600 is a fair price or not but regardless, I made the commitment so I'll own it in a few days. I'll likely stick a DTAR Wavelength pickup in it. I've picked up a few of them and that might be a good use for one of them. We'll see.