Guild Total
'99 DV-52
lUnjjGp.jpg

'76 D-25M
AxpWkeK.jpg

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
So, which Guild models have a center strip, and which ones don't?

Guitars with plywood/laminate backs have no centre stripe; the back is made of a single piece of "wood". The centre stripe means that the back is made of two pieces of solid (ie. not laminate) wood.

Typically, entry-level instruments have laminate backs, while more expensive models have solid backs (this is not to say that laminate-backed Guilds are undesirable - my lam-back D25 has been my only acoustic for 35 years).

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mark Farner and his friend showing the back sides of their DV-52's.

O6BKfBw.jpg

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not mine, but I got to play it a few times before it was auctioned for Guitars4Vets; The Flight 93 Memorial Guitar. The names of the passengers and flight crew are laser engraved in this beautiful specimen of maple with both flame and birdseye.

bE8eAFS.jpg

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guitars with plywood/laminate backs have no centre stripe; the back is made of a single piece of "wood". The centre stripe means that the back is made of two pieces of solid (ie. not laminate) wood.

Typically, entry-level instruments have laminate backs, while more expensive models have solid backs (this is not to say that laminate-backed Guilds are undesirable - my lam-back D25 has been my only acoustic for 35 years).

There is a big difference between a Flat backed Laminated guitar from other manufacturers and Guild's Laminated Arched Back Guitars. I don't consider the Guild F50, F412, D65, etc.. to be anything close to Student instruments and they all have the "Arched Laminated back" Guild has used since the beginning of production. As a matter of fact I believe those models I listed were all considered to be Flagship Models by Guild and quite expensive when purchased new.

Also there are several Guild Solid wood flat backed models such as the 70's G41, 70's G212, and the New Hartford made D40 Bluegrass models that do not have the center stripe down the back of them. All of these are solid hog back and sides.

Just to be clear Ross I am not saying that you felt that way by any means, Just stating that there is a big difference in overall quality, tone, and construction between Guild's Arched laminated back guitars and other Laminated back guitars. I noticed you mentioned your D25 as the only acoustic you have had for 35 years. I'll bet that one sings after all the play time it has had. One of my favorite all time dreads was a Guild D26 which was a spiffed up version of the D25 Guild made for Guitar Center only in the 90's. The sound and presence of that arched Hog back was haunting. I kick myself everyday for selling that one and if I ever find another in as good of shape as mine was in I may just have to jump on it so I don't make the same mistake twice. That being said my N.H. made F50 with the arched laminated Maple back will walk circles around just about every other guitar I have put it up against as well. They have a tone all of their own!:encouragement:

TX

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thought this would make a good thread :)

Here's my beautiful rosewood and I hope she shames you for all the unkind remarks her breed gets ! LOL
aJbKt1F.jpg
[/IMG]
and
3wdYXyq.jpg
[/IMG]
and
jJONKbp.jpg
[/IMG]
and this again just to show the politically correct guitar community that we above all others do not discriminate :tongue-new:
I know I just cant stop looking at it , LOOK AT IT ! LOL
TFUmlJp.jpg
[/IMG]
the 212 would hard to see with redish stain so we'll skip that one and thats all i got , well theres Gloria but thats harder to see but she sure is pretty when ya can catch it . :)

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not mine, but I got to play it a few times before it was auctioned for Guitars4Vets; The Flight 93 Memorial Guitar. The names of the passengers and flight crew are laser engraved in this beautiful specimen of maple with both flame and birdseye.

bE8eAFS.jpg
Wow very Cool .

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'll Play along.

2011 GSR D50 Cocobolo
ECzVtQ.jpg

2003 D55 50th Anniversary BRZ
5MeBPB.jpg

1971 F612
Pa3ZL0.jpg

2012 Burst F50R
4qu0w3.jpg

2013 F512 Burst
XNUPum.jpg

1993 JF100NT-CRV
j0kCKk.jpg

2012 F50 Maple
cYY4gJ.jpg

2014 D55-RS
oCdE3p.jpg

TX

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here is some more.

2014 Orphuem 12 Fret 12 String
VxlA4J.jpg

2003 Masterbuilt Fleming F47-BRZ
OBsROD.jpg

1976 G41
LkAFWV.jpg

2013 R30S Resonator
YAP8Cp.jpg

2013 Orpheum Jumbo
uYmC3F.jpg

2014 F512
pDnGos.jpg

1978 Greco 18" Custom Jumbo
xsgtkg.jpg

TX

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My favorite amongst my Guilds, the 2011 F50ce

21307120786_dd76221b2f_b.jpg

My favorite overall, the Martin D18DC

25988672062_7eef9e5083_b.jpg

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome backs :) Hey Tx I was afraid you’d jump in and crash the site with all those guitars ! Lol
I’d to see more of that Brazilian back if have a few more pics ? 😁

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My favorite amongst my Guilds, the 2011 F50ce

21307120786_dd76221b2f_b.jpg

My favorite overall, the Martin D18DC

25988672062_7eef9e5083_b.jpg

Those are pretty , I would like to see that Martin back a little better . 😁

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So, which Guild models have a center strip, and which ones don't?
AS you can see, Ross' original answer may have been a little oversimplified.
I think a more accurate summation would be higher-end flatbacks were most likely to get 'em.
And I can think of a very unusual rosewood archback version of the F50 that they experimented with circa '69* where they used 2 rosewood sheets with a center strip on top of the middle ply of the lamination.
So like most things with Guild it mostly depends on the model and the production date.

*Now that I think about it, I think Chaz' former '67, "Cap", was built like this.
Then note TXbumper's Masterbuilt F47, no centerstrip on a flat rosewood back, and the F50 maple, Guild's absolute top of the line flattop for many years, arched laminated maple and no centerstrip.
In general I think the defining factor for graduating levels of "quality" wasn't so much the arched vs solid back as the body woods.

Off the top of my head I think I can say all or at least 95% of Guild's "Entry level" models are mahogany bodies, and I can't recall one that got a centerstrripe on the back (although I bet somebody else can, LOL!)
Even the mid-level D40's didn't get 'em, although technically it was the entry level dread next to the D50 when introduced.
D25's became the entry-level dread next to D35's when introduced, and neither of those EVER got 'em either.
Nor did M20's the absolute entry-level Guild and all-hog construction..
But mid-70's F30R's got 'em, rosewood being a top-of-the line wood variant of the normal F30 even though F30 was a midrange model.
From here:
http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?182951-72-F-30R-reviving-a-great-old-friend
GuildF-30RBack_b.jpg

Last edited: