GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll play!

D-46: (Ash)

100_6424.jpg

Man, there was one of these for sale in my town and the guy wouldn't budge on the price. In retrospect I should have bought it because I don't think I've ever seen another. Had the factory pickup with the tasty G-Shield knob and everything.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Great Photos Grot, Love the 5 piece neck on the D44 and the Ash Back on the D46! One of these days I will have to find me a D46 to play around with. I wonder what a Guild Jumbo would have sounded like with an all solid ash back and sides? I'll bet that would have been an interesting guitar if Guild would have ever made one.

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Man, there was one of these for sale in my town and the guy wouldn't budge on the price. In retrospect I should have bought it because I don't think I've ever seen another. Had the factory pickup with the tasty G-Shield knob and everything.

I looked into 2 for sale but both had cracks and were rough handled through it’s life for me to stay interested . I’m just curious about the sound more then the buy . Lol

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
There is a big difference between a Flat backed Laminated guitar from other manufacturers and Guild's Laminated Arched Back Guitars. I don't consider the Guild F50, F412, D65, etc.. to be anything close to Student instruments and they all have the "Arched Laminated back" Guild has used since the beginning of production. As a matter of fact I believe those models I listed were all considered to be Flagship Models by Guild and quite expensive when purchased new.

Also there are several Guild Solid wood flat backed models such as the 70's G41, 70's G212, and the New Hartford made D40 Bluegrass models that do not have the center stripe down the back of them. All of these are solid hog back and sides.

Just to be clear Ross I am not saying that you felt that way by any means, Just stating that there is a big difference in overall quality, tone, and construction between Guild's Arched laminated back guitars and other Laminated back guitars. I noticed you mentioned your D25 as the only acoustic you have had for 35 years. I'll bet that one sings after all the play time it has had. One of my favorite all time dreads was a Guild D26 which was a spiffed up version of the D25 Guild made for Guitar Center only in the 90's. The sound and presence of that arched Hog back was haunting. I kick myself everyday for selling that one and if I ever find another in as good of shape as mine was in I may just have to jump on it so I don't make the same mistake twice. That being said my N.H. made F50 with the arched laminated Maple back will walk circles around just about every other guitar I have put it up against as well. They have a tone all of their own!:encouragement:

TX

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been computer-free for a few days.

You are correct, TX. I wrote my post in haste, and barely scratched the surface of the great diversity of Guild instruments. The centre stripe appears to be the hallmark of higher-end solid-wood guitars. And you are so right about the quality and sound of the archbacks. I can't see myself ever selling my D25 (although playing a big dread while seated is less comfortable now that I'm approaching 70).
Cheers, R

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
G37 burst
snNDdJe.jpg

I really like the sunburst maple back on that G-37. Mostly you see blonde backs (maple) or burgundy/cherry/brown backs (mahogany) on the arched-back acoustic guitars! The light shading on the sides is nicely done as well. :encouragement:

Last edited:

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
My DV-52 again alongside an '81 F-512 I used to own and wish I'd kept.

N8Mu5tX.jpg

This is a great photo! It should be bookmarked for when folks ask about the difference between Dreadnought guitars and Jumbo guitars. Without the visual distraction of the strings, fretboard, soundhole and bridge, you can clearly see the difference in shape and size.