Does more bling mean better tone wood

PittPastor

Reaction score
Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just the very slightest nitpick here, but the Hand-Rubbed and Satin finishes are not the same. Satin is nitro that hasn't been buffed to a shine/gloss; hand-rubbed is actually a wax(?) finish that almost looks like no finish - you can actually see the pores in the wood.

I have both - a DV52 in HR finish and a JV52 in satin finish. Love both - and I find myself not liking gloss finish that much, at least not on an acoustic. Go figure.

THANKS JC!! I wasn't sure a if there was actually a difference or if they just changed the nomenclature, forgot to say that there but I have mentioned it elsewhere,
I KNOW for sure the "HR" is in fact nitrocellulose but it came in gel form and was applied by hand, that was from one of our former Westerly employees way back around the time I first joined.

But now I also know that "Satin" is NCL as well (Assuming you're correct about that, and I think you are).
Somebody recently insisted their "Satin" D4 was actually poly and I was extremely doubtful although I'll still leave that 1% possibility open.
If any guitar was a subject for a finish experiment it was a late Westerly D4.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
They take your red stapler too ?

images

main-qimg-5a46f504c2fd77d40e1ed859b5ea9ee2

images

Cheer_Up_Fun_Pictures-s600x431-62774.jpg

jcwu

Reaction score
THANKS JC!! I wasn't sure a if there was actually a difference or if they just changed the nomenclature, forgot to say that there but I have mentioned it elsewhere,
I KNOW for sure the "HR" is in fact nitrocellulose but it came in gel form and was applied by hand, that was from one of our former Westerly employees way back around the time I first joined.

But now I also know that "Satin" is NCL as well (Assuming you're correct about that, and I think you are).
Somebody recently insisted their "Satin" D4 was actually poly and I was extremely doubtful although I'll still leave that 1% possibility open.
If any guitar was a subject for a finish experiment it was a late Westerly D4.

Hey, you're right! I had read hideglue's response and remembered the HR finish as a wax, but he actually said it was a waxy paste. Funny how memory works...

Here's the original thread, and the specific post in question.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey, you're right! I had read hideglue's response and remembered the HR finish as a wax, but he actually said it was a waxy paste. Funny how memory works...

Here's the original thread, and the specific post in question.

Applause on the search!
I'm very certain (assuming this isn't a fabricated memory) that the waxy paste was confirmed to be a type of nitrocellulose finish in a different thread.
Now the question will become: "Is a hand-rubbed finish contra-indicated for a blingy guitar?"
:glee:

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think I've memorized every single line of this one. A master piece!
My favorite:

" Payroll Glitch "

Bob Slydell: Milton Waddams.
Bill Lumbergh: Who’s he?

Bob Porter: You know, squirrely looking guy, mumbles a lot.
Bill Lumbergh: Oh, yeah.

Bob Slydell: Yeah, we can’t actually find a record of him being a current employee here.
Bob Porter: I looked into it more deeply and I found that apparently what happened is that he was laid off five years ago and no one ever told him, but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck.
Bob Slydell: So we just went ahead and fixed the glitch.
Bill Lumbergh: Great

Dom Portwood: So um, Milton has been let go?
Bob Slydell: Well just a second there, professor. We uh, we fixed the *glitch*. So he won’t be receiving a paycheck anymore, so it will just work itself out naturally.
Bob Porter: We always like to avoid confrontation, whenever possible. Problem solved from your end.

The one they left out was one of the fringe benefits of being on salary:
I've quit and walked out several times in the last 4 or 5 years but I just don't say anything.
When I change my mind and come back the next day nobody's the wiser.
:stupid:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think I've memorized every single line of this one. A master piece!

No Salt, No Salt on the Margarita! One of the Best all time comedy movies ever and the character of Milton to me just makes the movie perfect. Right up there with Bill Murray in Caddy Shack and Rick Moranis in Spaceballs on my favorites list.

TX

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Classic quotes are non stop from beginning to end....
I particularly enjoyed this one:

Peter: "I think I'll stop going to work"
Joanna: "So... you're gonna quit?"
Peter: "No. I'm just gonna stop going to work."

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great movie!

Whenever I see a rerun of "Seinfeld" where Kramer retires, and Jerry says "From what??!", I always think of this movie!

walrus

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Great movie!

Whenever I see a rerun of "Seinfeld" where Kramer retires, and Jerry says "From what??!", I always think of this movie!

walrus

AH AH AH!!!!!..... "from the grind, Jerry!".
....another one that never gets old.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Man we off topic here 😔 + 1 for princess bride lol