Does more bling mean better tone wood

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think "bling" necessarily translates into better sound or a better guitar, but I do think an effort was probably made to build those guitars with more bling, or those that might have been considered upper end models with better woods, whether those woods were selected for sonic properties or for it's looks. I think there are plenty of great low end Guild guitars, but generally speaking, I think what was perceived as better woods for whatever reason was probably selected for the high end models.

It's interesting to me that I've owned so many Guild East Indian rosewood guitars over the years, all with the side/back wood looking pretty much the same, and my Collings is an East Indian rosewood guitar and looks unlike any rosewood I'd ever seen on a Guild, or a Martin or Taylor for that matter. The back/side EIR is much tighter on the Collings with no wide grain stripes. Now I'm not sure what that means sonically or in terms of quality, but that's the way it is. : ) BTW, the Collings has no "bling", it's actually a very plain looking guitar, but to me elegant in it's simplicity.

West

ClydeTower

Reaction score
OP's fighting the good fight on another forum arguing against small-minded penny-pinchers who believe that the big bad guitar manufacturers are in a conspiracy to force you to pay for bling you don't need, in order to get the best wood they have.
We're just givin' 'im ammo and pointing out that good looking wood don't necessarily sing well is one more bullet.

Yep, some folks on the other forum seem to be pretty pissed at Guild for making them purchase a D55 (or Martin's d-45), bling and all, just to get their best tone wood. The word that was used to describe the D55's bling was "gaudy"...

To each his own I guess.

Last edited:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Oh gosh Clyde, I don't get on much here anymore, but for years around here I was considered the "king of bling" and was accused of owning "gaudy" guitars. It used to be a standard joke around here. And personally, I think the D55 is appointed just right. : )

West

Yep, some folks on this well known forum seem to be pretty pissed at Guild for making them purchase a D55 (or Martin's d-45), bling and all, just to get their best tone wood. The word that was used to describe the D55's bling was "gaudy", to which I did take offense, being the proud owner of said guitar. Unfortunately, my defense of the D55 merited a reprimand of Mr Moderator who seem to think my stand on the subject was a little too vigorous. No harm done.

To each his own I guess.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Just to be clear, when I said "...some folks on this well known forum seem to be pretty pissed at Guild...", I wasn't referring to LTG, rather another forum :)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ah, well in fun, several here uses to hound me about owning "blinged guitars". never bothered me though. I sort of got a kick out of it........I confess however, I do indeed like fancy guitars.

West

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Ah, well in fun, several here uses to hound me about owning "blinged guitars". never bothered me though. I sort of got a kick out of it........I confess however, I do indeed like fancy guitars.

West

I hear you, if it sounds good and looks good its ALL good! :)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

West
Me too, Jim! Me TOO!! It's like announcing to people that "This guitar is gonna sound INCREDIBLE!" LOL!!! :encouragement:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
What do you think the results would be if any member of LTG were able to choose 20 lower end guitars with the least amount of bling possible vs 20 guitars with the most amount of bling, only, and 3 other LTG members rate their tone? I am saying of the fewer blinged instruments there would be as many as 4 or 5 have excellent tone and of the most 20 blinged guitars there would be 4 or 5 with poor tone. So I say, as a rule' "yes more bling will have better tone but there will be exceptions." The guitar dealers intend for more bling and better tone wood to be close kin.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think "bling" necessarily translates into better sound or a better guitar, but I do think an effort was probably made to build those guitars with more bling, or those that might have been considered upper end models with better woods, whether those woods were selected for sonic properties or for it's looks. I think there are plenty of great low end Guild guitars, but generally speaking, I think what was perceived as better woods for whatever reason was probably selected for the high end models.

It's interesting to me that I've owned so many Guild East Indian rosewood guitars over the years, all with the side/back wood looking pretty much the same, and my Collings is an East Indian rosewood guitar and looks unlike any rosewood I'd ever seen on a Guild, or a Martin or Taylor for that matter. The back/side EIR is much tighter on the Collings with no wide grain stripes. Now I'm not sure what that means sonically or in terms of quality, but that's the way it is. : ) BTW, the Collings has no "bling", it's actually a very plain looking guitar, but to me elegant in it's simplicity.

West

Ooooo I’ll show you mine if ..... Rosewood I’ll show you my Rosewood if you , um , post , a , pic of yours , Rosewood !

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Personally, I think every guitar is a bit of a crapshoot regarding how the finished product will sound. Bling adds nothing to the sound. More bling typically means higher grades of tone woods, but there are so many other factors that also contribute to tone. I've played some high-end acoustics that really didn't fly my flag, and some that did. If they really have great tone, bling is kinda the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

I had the privilege of playing one of these Taylors at Elderly Instruments, and I can honestly say it was one of the most beautiful sounding guitars I've ever played.

skMliLD.jpg

jcwu

Reaction score
According to the '97 catalog, the DV formula include sanded backs and sides (for lightness/resonance) scalloped braces (on the '52, they were shaved on the hog-bodied DV-6) , yet they only got Chesterfields, plain fretboards, and Hand-Rubbed ("satin") finishes and when introduced.

Just the very slightest nitpick here, but the Hand-Rubbed and Satin finishes are not the same. Satin is nitro that hasn't been buffed to a shine/gloss; hand-rubbed is actually a wax(?) finish that almost looks like no finish - you can actually see the pores in the wood.

I have both - a DV52 in HR finish and a JV52 in satin finish. Love both - and I find myself not liking gloss finish that much, at least not on an acoustic. Go figure.

bobouz

Reaction score
I would say that with the majority of production line guitars from major manufacturers, bling, special specs (including higher grades of wood, bracing variations, etc.), and artist endorsements are all primarily a way to charge more for the same basic guitar - with your chance of getting a tonally stellar instrument being minimally enhanced.

So basically: No.