Does more bling mean better tone wood

wileypickett

Reaction score
I think the question might be put better: does better tone-wood mean more bling?

Most guitar makers use their best looking wood for their top-of-the-line models, and they naturally put the best face on those models with more elaborate binding and MOP on the headstock, fretboard and around the soundhole.

That adds something to cost of course, as does things like shaved or scalloped braces and other internal improvements to help the sound.

But most makers also offer lower cost, no frills versions of their top-of-the-line instruments. Many of the D50s I've played sound as good as any of the D55s I've encountered. (I prefer my Westerly D50 to the two D55s I sold, one Westerly, one New Hartford.)

jcwu

Reaction score
Applause on the search!
I'm very certain (assuming this isn't a fabricated memory) that the waxy paste was confirmed to be a type of nitrocellulose finish in a different thread.
Now the question will become: "Is a hand-rubbed finish contra-indicated for a blingy guitar?"
:glee:

I went digging further (because I really was curious to find the answer), and this is as far back as I was able to get:

From an older response from SFIV1967:

Hideglue, who worked at Westerly said the HR was a Polygel, not Nitro.
viewtopic.php?p=67248#p67248

Unfortunately, the post that Ralf linked is from the older forum software format, and I haven't been able to dig up that post.

And I guess I've always been drawn to the more understated things in life, HR finish included.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I went digging further (because I really was curious to find the answer), and this is as far back as I was able to get:

From an older response from SFIV1967:

Unfortunately, the post that Ralf linked is from the older forum software format, and I haven't been able to dig up that post.

And I guess I've always been drawn to the more understated things in life, HR finish included.

Sometimes using Google with "site:www.letstalkguild.com" will pull back posts that are otherwise hard to find. Unfortunately that doesn't work for posts that were made in a Members Only area.