Anybody using a Tonerite to open up their Guild?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Here's an experiment I try on a regular basis.

Step 1. Take guitar out of case.
Step 2. Find a 1.5 Dunlop pick.
Step 3. Pick a bunch of tunes.
Step 4. Put the guitar back in the case.
Step 5. Repeat daily.

Miracle of miracles, the guitar sounds better week by week. Probably because I'm better at playing it, and getting the tone I am looking for from it.

Ok, ok... I get the doubt and the sarcasm about the Tonerite. Like I said, my goal isn't to promote the TR, but to investigate its usefulness myself and arrive at my own conclusions. If you own many guitars, I can definitely see the advantages of using a Tonerite (if it works) because you're probably spreading out your play time across multiple guitars, so they're not getting as much love as they should. I can also see the advantage of "warming up" a guitar before a gig, recording session, etc.

I'm all for the "play it for years and it will open up on its own" argument, but sometimes you don't have years to wait... So if this thing can help it along the process, I'm all for it.

One thing I have realized is that the memory of what it sounded like before the treatment is very unreliable. As I stated before, if and when I have some spare time, I will do a proper recorded test on multiple guitars, taking into account string change and other variables. If anyone has any suggestions about how to conduct a definitive test, let me know and I will take notes.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok, ok... I get the doubt and the sarcasm about the Tonerite. Like I said, my goal isn't to promote the TR, but to investigate its usefulness myself and arrive at my own conclusions. If you own many guitars, I can definitely see the advantages of using a Tonerite (if it works) because you're probably spreading out your play time across multiple guitars, so they're not getting as much love as they should. I can also see the advantage of "warming up" a guitar before a gig, recording session, etc.

I'm all for the "play it for years and it will open up on its own" argument, but sometimes you don't have years to wait... So if this thing can help it along the process, I'm all for it.

One thing I have realized is that the memory of what it sounded like before the treatment is very unreliable. As I stated before, if and when I have some spare time, I will do a proper recorded test on multiple guitars, taking into account string change and other variables. If anyone has any suggestions about how to conduct a definitive test, let me know and I will take notes.

I hear ya if that thing worked for ya awesome makes me wonder though if that worked out how much better would a paint shaker be !? Lol

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Personally the tone rite works too slow for me so I rewired it by mounting a 2 cycle Weed Eater gas motor on it. This way it vibrates quicker at different frequencies depending on the amount of throttle you give it. Plus with all the smog that the Motor kicks out being 2 cycle it really gives you that "West Coast, L.A., San Fran" feel to your tone! :biggrin-new:

Of course I'm just joking around. If the tone rite does work I think that is awesome for those that want to use it. But for me it's purpose takes away my favorite part of buying a new guitar. My favorite part is playing it in and getting to know the instrument. As it grows and Blossoms so do I along with my expectations of what I want from it and what it is capable of. It is a real give and take process that I thoroughly enjoy. If anyone wants to try a tone rite and can't afford one, feel free to ship me your guitar and I will put the first 30 hours on it for you free of charge! Just pay for the shipping and insurance.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm all for the "play it for years and it will open up on its own" argument, but sometimes you don't have years to wait...
uhhhh....yeah.
It was kinda painful to realize a couple of years back that there is simply no possible way I could do now what I did with my D25 for 5 years starting when I was 41.
I can barely put an hour on it now without getting pretty fatigued between the shoulders.
Even a couple of hours on the F65ce is pushing it to the limit.
I used to get 3 or 4 hours in, in a 6 or 7 hour Saturday in the park, for 40 weeks a year at least, for the first 4 or 5 years I owned the '25.
I can't drink that much beer anymore either.
:chargrined:

Ok, ok... I get the doubt and the sarcasm about the Tonerite...
Hey that was a true story about Alphonse Mouzon's drums!

Last edited:

Grassdog

Reaction score
I seem to recall Acoustic Guitar magazine did an extensive article on the Tonerite a few years ago that included some advanced before and after testing (maybe that was more than a few years ago - the years are going by faster now). I think they had some artists (Jackson Browne comes to mind) that they interviewed about their impressions of the product too. Overall, I think the testing revealed a modest improvement in volume.

I have a buddy who has a 1974 Martin D-35 and he actually took it to the Martin factory in Nazareth for an inspection (some of the bracing had come loose). The guy he talked to at Martin said "they sound best just before they fall apart".