Anybody using a Tonerite to open up their Guild?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Hi there!
I recently acquired a 2012 D55 New Hartford. Its in pristine condition. I think the original owner barely played it, so it hasn't really opened up yet. Don't get me wrong. It sounds amazing, the mids and highs really come through on this guitar compared to my Taylor 810ce which has more of a scooped sound. The Taylor does however have much more volume and an amazing bass thump. I've played the heck out it, really digging in and its opened up quite nicely.

Guilds seem to have a reputation of taking a little longer to open up. So I was thinking of getting a Tonerite and trying it out on my D55 to help it along the "opening" process. I know there's a lot of debate about the Tonerite, but I've read much more positive feedback than negatve, so I thought I would give it a try.

Has anyone else here on LTG tried a Tonerite on their Guild and what were the results?

IMG_3047.jpg

My 2014 Taylor 810ce hanging out with the 2012 Guild D55

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I predict, based on my memory of past discussions, that no more than two or three people will say they used one, or something similar. There will be discussions on "opening up" - whether there really is such a thing and, if so, whether the process can be accelerated. The suggestion that you should just play more will be made. Eventually people will mention that it is really difficult to verify the utility because there is really no way to know what would have happened without the ToneRite. Probably a veer or two into consumer psychology because people who buy something often invest effort, after the purchase, to reinforce the sense that the purchase was A Good Thing.

That said, if you have $150 USD (Retail) to spare and nothing better to do with it I'd encourage you to go for it, with the idea that you will document and report your experience here :) Except for the question of where the instrument is while the ToneRite is used (in case, open or closed?, on stand, etc.) and the concerns about that, the major risk is spending $150 and then deciding nothing worthwhile happened.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting comparison with the Taylor.

My experience with the D-55 is that it is an exceptionally well-balanced dread. The D-50s of recent vintage (Tacoma and NH), with their red spruce tops are much punchier and I guess "boomier" I'd say, with more pronounced highs and lows. I have always found the boomy dreads to be more to my taste.

OTOH, I've never found Taylors to have more low end than (any) Guild. So, maybe it is possible that there is some tightness in your NH D-55. I'd definitely give it that treatment if you've already got the Tonerite. Why not?

That said, I'm not much of an advocate of telling people to wait for their guitars to open up.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I use "playalot" and "stringchange" to get the sound "my" ears think is good. All subjective. I, do, agree there are lots of good and different sounds from quality guitars. Saying that-I believe lots of us would surprise ourselves if we were blindfolded and given three guitars to choose from. Bet the tags would make us realize our ears have no ego.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I wouldn't spend the money for one.
My 2005 D-55 was two years old and almost unpayed when I bought it.
It was a bit tight sounding but still had what I wanted.
It took the guitar a couple of years of playing time for it to open up to my ear.

Did it actually open up or did I get used to the way it sounds?
I can't say for sure but the end results are fantastic!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a buddy who swears by tone rites. I do believe guitars open up and I believe nothing does this better and more permanently than being played. My D-30 was tighter than skin on a sausage and very mid level in terms of volume when I bought her 4 years ago. She was a closet queen. By the time I sold her she was a power house feeling easy on the hands. I do not believe this was due to my ear getting used to the tone / volume. There was a marked difference that took place as a result of having the hell played out of it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi there!
I recently acquired a 2012 D55 New Hartford. Its in pristine condition. I think the original owner barely played it, so it hasn't really opened up yet. Don't get me wrong. It sounds amazing, the mids and highs really come through on this guitar compared to my Taylor 810ce which has more of a scooped sound. The Taylor does however have much more volume and an amazing bass thump. I've played the heck out it, really digging in and its opened up quite nicely.

Guilds seem to have a reputation of taking a little longer to open up.
HI Clyde, see my answer over here where you first asked it, before I saw this thread:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?195221-F1512-GAD-VS-F1512-Westerly

That was an interesting comment about Guilds having a reputation for taking a little longer to open up, I don't recall hearing it before but I can see as how maybe it would be more likely heard on a different forum as opposed to here where so many of us have and/or buy guitars that are already well-played in.
Since I boughv all mine new I had the ability to "clock" the actual playing time on all of mine, although the D25 had the closest tracking and I've fallen off keeping so much track on any of 'em anymore.
200-250 hours seemed to be the magic mark on both dreads even from different factories.
The F65ce has been so gradual and slight that I think something about its construction made it close to optimum right out of the box, possibly a slightly thinner top than found on the dreads?
Other factors we've discussed in past are finish and top wood.
I don't think Taylors will get any benefit of finish aging because they're poly-finished. Poly doesn't change at all over time, once it's catalyzed its done.
CL continuously gets thinner and more resonant as it ages, and at least some of us believe this also contributes to opening up.
But Taylor puts a lot of research into design and consistency so I'll guess there's something about the bracing on yours, plus a combination of all the right pieces of wood coming together in the same guitar to yield an exceptional Taylor.
A Guild D55 always had AAA sitka top but they did get red spruce ("Adi:) bracing since Tacoma. Adi allows for the same strength as sitka bracing in a smaller and lighter piece.
Their reputation is for having a more balanced output while the D50 with an Adi top would be for those who want a cannon as Chaz mentions.
So there are subtle construction tweaks being used to differentiate the voice personalities of these guitars. One place which isn't easily seen and is a known way of shaping a guitar's voice IS the bracing: how and IF they're shaved and how deeply and where (the shape of the curve) they're scalloped (in the case of scalloped bracing)
So I was thinking of getting a Tonerite and trying it out on my D55 to help it along the "opening" process. I know there's a lot of debate about the Tonerite, but I've read much more positive feedback than negatve, so I thought I would give it a try.
See my caution about checking for possible negative effects of subsonics on glue and finish in that other thread.
It's just something that occurred to me, that I'd try to research before jumping in.
And anyway, isn't it more fun (and cheaper) making babies the old fashioned way ("playing in", so to speak), than by the modern-but-sterile artificial insemination method?
:glee:

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I don't think Taylors will get any benefit of finish aging because they're poly-finished. Poly doesn't change at all over time, once it's catalyzed its done.
CL continuously gets thinner and more resonant as it ages, and at least some of us believe this also contributes to opening up.
But Taylor puts a lot of research into design and consistency so I'll guess there's something about the bracing on yours, plus a combination of all the right pieces of wood coming together in the same guitar to yield an exceptional Taylor.

The new 800 revoiced Taylors have a very thin finish to apparently let the top move more. I will say that the D55 is quite a bit heavier than the 810, I don't know if that has anything to do with the bracing. I was expecting the D55 to blow the 810 out of the water as far as bass response, and the 810 to have the upper hand in the mids/highs. To my great surprise, its the other way around: The D55 has much more clarity in the mids and upper register and sounds more balanced. The Taylor has a scooped woody/airy sound with a tight thumping low end. Its sounds really good for bluegrass and heavy strumming. However, the D55 has better fundamentals, tons of sustain and sounds like it has better potential to becoming one of the best sounding guitars I've ever owned. Its just a little tight right now, a little shy is all :)

I got a good deal on a used ToneRite. When comes the time to change my EJ-19s, I'll probably give the D55 a TR treatment, and see if that gets her juices flowing!

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I got a good deal on a used ToneRite. When comes the time to change my EJ-19s, I'll probably give the D55 a TR treatment, and see if that gets her juices flowing!

Remember Frono expects feedback!
I'm kind curious too, for that matter.
:friendly_wink:

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've used a tonerite a few times, not on new guitars but on older guitars that had been idle for years. Minor differences between before and after at best. I'll have to look, but I may have a before and after recording of one of the guitars I tried it on. There's also the idea that placing a guitar in front of a stereo speaker and playing music on it does the same thing as a tonerite. Never tried that.
Lots of discussion about tonerite over on the AG forum.
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partn...1195745j8#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=tonerite&gsc.page=1
Brad

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
There's also the idea that placing a guitar in front of a stereo speaker and playing music on it does the same thing as a tonerite. Never tried that.

Yes, I've read that also. Not as practical though for obvious reasons. I've also read that newer guitars or ones that haven't been played much will mostly benefit. Looking forward to testing out the theory on my D55!

ClydeTower

Reaction score
While playing my D55 today, I broke a string, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to try out the Tonerite since I'm gonna have to change my strings anyways... So I put on a D string from an old set I had lying around, hooked up the TR and set it on the high setting. I'll leave it on at least 72 hours as recommended, might go for longer, we'll see. I'll report back next week.

It will also give me the opportunity to give my Taylor 810 a little love... its been kinda neglected since the D55 showed up. :)

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
There's also the idea that placing a guitar in front of a stereo speaker and playing music on it does the same thing as a tonerite. Never tried that.

Brad

If you play it Tommy Emmanuel or Andy McKee does it turn around and look at you scornfully when you pick it up?

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh my oh my

As guitar playing technically inclined sound man and recording engineer I sense the reeking snake oil - I have heard of folks hanging violins on wall next to radio ...

If that unit were 20 USD + shipping - then yes - maybe - - watermelon - -

IF there is some point in vibrating the guitar artificially - it may just as well be done by having the guitar next to loudspeaker - it is quite ok to have it on side - no need to put it in front.

As of the question wether in case or not - absolutely hanging from the neck, so the entire body can vibrate freely.

I am eagerly waiting for SCIENTIFIC report of results - - watermelon - -

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I am eagerly waiting for SCIENTIFIC report of results - - watermelon - -

Well, my report won't be scientific... rather empirical, but honest. I got a second hand TR on the cheap so couldn't pass up the opportunity to try it.

IMG_3072.jpg

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Is it making your guitar play all by itself? How loud?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
great guitars by the way! Taylor and Guild respective "flagship" models. That Taylor looks awesome and I really dig the cutaway.
the 810 is the one Taylor model I would really like to own.