Letter code on Epi Masterbilt

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Epi Masterbilt with the model ID being AJ500MANNH and have researched Gibson and Epiphone. From my findings, I can identify every letter except the last two - NH. From left to right this is my findings: A=advanced - J=jumbo - M=mahogany - A=abalone - N=natural but nothing on last NH. Does anyone have this information? If inappropriate to post this just close or delete.
A very underated guitar-plays and sounds like guitars three times more expensive. Thank you

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Can't help you with the NH but will whole heartedly agree with you that the Epi Masterbilt series are wonderful guitars at a fraction of the cost of most made in the USA guitars. I'm not typically an Epiphone fan (except for their vintage gear) but the Masterbilts are an exception for sure.

I suspect if you call Gibson Customer Service at 800 444 2766 they can help solve the question.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Epi Masterbilt with the model ID being AJ500MANNH and have researched Gibson and Epiphone. From my findings, I can identify every letter except the last two - NH. From left to right this is my findings: A=advanced - J=jumbo - M=mahogany - A=abalone - N=natural but nothing on last NH. Does anyone have this information? If inappropriate to post this just close or delete.
A very underated guitar-plays and sounds like guitars three times more expensive. Thank you
Oops, never mind. :friendly_wink:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a 2003 Epi Masterbilt with the model ID being AJ500MANNH and have researched Gibson and Epiphone. From my findings, I can identify every letter except the last two - NH. From left to right this is my findings: A=advanced - J=jumbo - M=mahogany - A=abalone - N=natural but nothing on last NH. Does anyone have this information?

2003 is very early in the first year of that non-cutaway Masterbilt production run. I've had 4 or 5 Masterbilts, in rosewood, mahogany, maple (very rare), and the cedar-topped 12-fret slot-head (also pretty rare). I've still got the EF500RAVS (rosewood, abalone, vintage sunburst). Yep, they're great guitars, but when I got my F50R, well....

Is there actually abalone on your AJ500? Otherwise I'd say the "AN" stands for "antique natural." But man, the "NH" is not ringing any bells!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Richard:
Called Gibson and pushed all the right buttons, eventually, being connected to the Epiphone department. Got a recording say to leave a message and they would get back witn me. Left name, number, and suffix letter question. Will give them a couple days before I repeat.
Shoot, I might have a collector's item. No one seems to have one like it.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Shoot, I might have a collector's item. No one seems to have one like it.

Come to think of it, full production of that Masterbilt run did not start until 2004. (It went through 2010-2011.) The EF500PNS I had was solid maple back and sides, and Epiphone never made any more of those after 2003, so it was kind of a prototype.

Also, these Masterbilts were always "natural satin," not gloss. Is yours gloss? Yes, you may have one of those early prototypes that they took around to the guitar shows, like my PNS. Is there a "GR" before the serial number?

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Cougar:
Played it for about an hour today. Will get it out tomorrow and answer your questions and post the serial number.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
NH = Nickle hardware ......... I think .

Hobbesickles

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a AJ500M... I don't know the year. I have never seen another one like it. It has nickle hardware, gloss top but satin sides and back, dot inlays with binding on the fretboard, no head stock binding, no electronics, solid black pick guard. It was my first acoustic guitar and I strongly preferred it over the Taylors and Martins I have owned.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Been couple days no hear from Gibson/Epiphone branch. Just called back and same Miss Wolf was "away from my desk leave name, number, and short explaination of reason for your call and I will return your call, shortly."
Nickel Hardware sounds good to me.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Been couple days no hear from Gibson/Epiphone branch. Just called back and same Miss Wolf was "away from my desk leave name, number, and short explaination of reason for your call and I will return your call, shortly."
Nickel Hardware sounds good to me.

Yup it’s what Gib uses or did lol

Ooo let me add that I had a DR500mce loved it but volume was surpressed if I had to guess I’d say the thick poly coating . Anyway I sold it but afterwards I hit Gc and they had an Aj and I have to say it a different beast then the DR to me it sounded really good . Enjoy the Epi 😁

It’s on my fire pit guitar list :)

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Satin finish, abalone, and serial number is: G03100192

The "G" factory code is for Korea, AFAIK. Apparently, prior to full production of this Masterbilt line, they had Samick or some other Korean plant crank out the first models. It was my understanding that the full production models came out of Qingdao.

Plus, the shot of the label you sent me shows that it's oval, without the mention of Masterbilt. Later Masterbilts had a square label, which had "Masterbilt" on the label....

mb-a.jpg

This was my first Masterbilt - mahogany back and sides....

mns757.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks to forum members I feel closer to having an answer. I will spread Rayk's answer of NH stands for Nickel Hardware. And to Cougar for posting the picture of my label. And to Gibson you might consider, "a small act of kindness means more than the grandest intensions." Not a word from Gibson after two "pre recorded promises."

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks to forum members I feel closer to having an answer. I will spread Rayk's answer of NH stands for Nickel Hardware. And to Cougar for posting the picture of my label. And to Gibson you might consider, "a small act of kindness means more than the grandest intensions." Not a word from Gibson after two "pre recorded promises."
Gibson is in termoil but don’t feel bad Cordoba didn’t get to me as they promised so what does that say it’s says

“We should get payed for customer support “ lol

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hope they call. I will tell them I reached out to a "Guild Man and he answered it so I am looking for a Guild to buy.