F40 Lovers Unite!!

Rampix

Reaction score
Little rampix is a bit of a guitar snob, he plays only vintage guitars...stone age vintage...

Thanks for the compliments folks, she is aging well for a girl with so many miles on her. The best part is that she sounds even better than she looks!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I was recently reminded that there are 2 12-string variants of the family:
'65 saw the introduction of the F212 and F312, 'hog and rosewood bodied versions of the F47 introduced in '64:
From here:
The F-212 and F-312 were based on the F-47 body shape.
Sincerely,
Hans Moust

They were in fact Guilds' first 12-strings, and again I think they must have had very good reasons to use the 16" lower bout F body to launch that effort.
It's simply an incredibly versatile workhorse.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Had to bring this exchange over from a thread about M20's:
I do find the new F-40 (F-47) to be quite intriguing!

It's actually an F48: F50-sized with 'hog back.
They even name the F48 in the description...
The F47 was a 16" lower bout like the F40.
Sorry, it's my biggest pet peeve with 'em:
No REAL F40 (or 47).

Thanks Al. I knew that, and still goofed it up!

It would be nice if Oxnard would just call it an F-48.

Can't remember who I've converted and who I haven't, yet. :glee:

And better yet, give us a true 16" F-40, with a 24.75" short-scale!
And a 1-11/16 nut!
Like an F45ce revival.
Full depth.
:victorious:
Perfect!

Add a chesterfield logo, bound neck with block inlays, maple & rosewood versions, and electronics accessible through the soundhole.

Geez, I'm already drooling!
Cordoba, Do You Copy?
:emmersed:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm late to this party, but now that I'm selecting what guitars stay and what guitars go (my bargain with SWMBO for the Orpheum), I'm certain this one stays:

o2aIHoh.jpg

gw7RmQV.jpg

fEr1fKT.jpg

Thank you, Mike.

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
gjmalcyon - That is an absolute beauty!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
gjmalcyon - That is an absolute beauty!

Thank you kindly. I'm only a few years older than it and its state of preservation - including number of original parts - is much better than mine.

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Hello Sal,

While your guitar has a bridge that is much more gracious than later '70s bridges it's not what's usually referred to as the 'cloud bridge'. The typical 'cloud bridge' has an extra 'dip' in the center of the belly as you can see in the next photo:

D50_cloudbridge.jpg

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

My 1997 45th Anniversary model (ex-richardp69) is based on a 1966 F-30, and has an ebony cloud bridge. Included in many other special features are a fossilized mammouth ivory nut and saddle. The neck is constructed of five pieces.
Here's some pics:

VjcfpOI.jpg

gRDDq9X.jpg

gpxO2VT.jpg

k26mpDk.jpg

hRMm0Sj.jpg

TjQkk24.jpg

mEduVfi.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rich, that is one snazzy guitar, man! Wow, an embarrassment of riches in this thread. That 5 piece tiger-stripe neck is honestly to die for! I'll bet it's kind of heavy though, no?

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Rich, that is one snazzy guitar, man! Wow, an embarrassment of riches in this thread. That 5 piece tiger-stripe neck is honestly to die for! I'll bet it's kind of heavy though, no?

Yes, and no. The smaller body compensates to keep the overall weight comfortable.
RC

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wonderful. Yeah, super-snazzy!!!!

My JF-30-12 with tiger-stripe neck is (by far) my heaviest guitar, and it came with a custom shop case which is, literally, a back-breaking combination. :) But those necks are so gorgeous!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Wonderful. Yeah, super-snazzy!!!!

My JF-30-12 with tiger-stripe neck is (by far) my heaviest guitar, and it came with a custom shop case which is, literally, a back-breaking combination. :) But those necks are so gorgeous!

Yea, the 45th also came with a custom shop case, and is practically as stunning as the guitar itself, not to mention very heavy.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My 1997 45th Anniversary model (ex-richardp69) is based on a 1966 F-30,

VjcfpOI.jpg

Hello Rich,

I know that statement comes from an official piece of Guild literature, but it was written up by someone who obviously didn't know what he (or she) was
talking about!

And by the way, did you change the knobs on the tuners or was that done by the former owner?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Hello Rich,

I know that statement comes from an official piece of Guild literature, but it was written up by someone who obviously didn't know what he (or she) was
talking about!

And by the way, did you change the knobs on the tuners or was that done by the former owner?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hi Hans,
I have received this guitar from Richard Peterson. I asked him the same question, and he said that those tuners were on it when he got the guitar. So, to find the answer to your question, we need to do some research into the ownership of this particular guitar. Can you tell me about the falsehoods in the Guild statement?

Rich Cohen

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me about the falsehoods in the Guild statement? Rich Cohen

Hello Rich,

It's not that I don't want to answer that question, but really ......... did you ever take a good look at an F-30 from the '60s?

Other than the fact that they're both Guild guitars with 6 strings, can you tell me what the 45th Anniversary and an F-30 from 1966 have in common?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
At the risk of looking foolish, I'll play, Hans...

Maple body?
Flat(ish) lower bout bottom?

Maybe that was enough for someone to say that about it... That said, the flat-bottom body style looks similar to the old guitar, but dimensions are difficult to judge from the picture.

Doesn't look like the cloud bridge was part of the original, was it? The cloud is certainly is from that time period, but not on the F-30, right?

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Hello Rich,

It's not that I don't want to answer that question, but really ......... did you ever take a good look at an F-30 from the '60s?

Other than the fact that they're both Guild guitars with 6 strings, can you tell me what the 45th Anniversary and an F-30 from 1966 have in common?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hans,
I should have taken out my measuring tape!. You're right of course. The 45th seems to be bigger, definitely deeper at the lower bout. Not to mention the flat back, use of ebony, etc.
RC

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hans,
I should have taken out my measuring tape!. You're right of course. The 45th seems to be bigger, definitely deeper at the lower bout. Not to mention the flat back, use of ebony, etc.
RC

The 45th Anni has a 16" lower bout and was one of the guitars the Valencia was based on:
"With design elements of the original 1950s F-40 and the 1997 45th Anniversary, the 16" Valencia features solid curly maple back and rims, ebony fingerboard and bridge"
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/valencia.html

I got tripped up by that same piece of lit that said it was based on an F30 a while back, myself.
Actually I saw it on WesterlyGuildGuitar's 45th anni page and the description was attributed to Harmony Central, whom I assume got it from Guild "un-proof-read".

And "Good ol' Hans" kindly corrected me back then, too.
Thanks boss!
:friendly_wink:

Last edited: