Old Guild, two questions

Tico

Reaction score
FWIW, I lost my password for my old account so I registered again.

I bought this D-55 new in 1977.
Anyone know who made the tuners, Gotoh, Schaller, other?

Next would you touch up the finish at the chips?
If so, would clear nail polish damage the nitorcel original finish?

aaGhNZjh.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome (back), Tico.

Those are Schallers, I think.

Check Stewart-MacDonald for nitrocellulose lacquer "pens" that you can use. It won't look perfect, but yes I would touch those up.

Big-Al

Reaction score
In the past, I've used furniture touch up pens that I've bought at the local hardware store. They are kind of like stain and varnish in a sharpie. As Chazmo said regarding the StewMac pens, the repairs weren't perfect but they looked remarkably good from a few feet away and you can pick one that will blend in with the surrounding color. The little chips and dings give a guitar some historical credibility anyway.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Like chazmo says, I'm pretty darned sure those are Schaller tuners. And as has also been mentioned Stew-Mac does make lacquer drop fill pens in colors that will take care of these spots. Probably the tobacco color. As you can see, there's quite a bit of tint in the NCL on this guitar. After you fill it in you can level and buff the finish to the point where it will almost be invisible. Getting lacquer to stay thick on a corner is never an easy thing. Possibly hang the guitar upside down while drying.....

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to the LTG. Wow, you bought it new in '77. Very cool indeed!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I lost my password for my old account so I registered again.
Welcome back aboard!

Next would you touch up the finish at the chips?
If so, would clear nail polish damage the nitorcel original finish?

I'd fill 'em just to seal the wood again.
Sally Hansen's brand nail polish IS NCL, so no, it won't damage it.
Just check the ingredients on whatever you're thinking of using, should show nitrocellulose and acetone.
I've drop-filled some dings on the top of my D25 with it, myself.
Just depends how lo-buck or purpose-made you want to go.

bobouz

Reaction score
Those indeed are Schaller M-6 tuners, rebadged with the Guild logo.

They are still available in either standard or locking styles. My '73 F-30R had the same tuners, but they didn't feel very smooth so I swapped them out with a new set of M-6 Schallers, which drop right into place (of course, I've saved the old tuners!).

Re the Stew-Mac nitro pens, the tips are way too fat for any detail work, so I always use a fine brush or Testor's micro-tip applicators. Also, big globs of lacquer can come rushing out when you push the tip down to release the lacquer, so it's best to just dab some onto another surface & then dip your brush into it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Re the Stew-Mac nitro pens, the tips are way too fat for any detail work, so I always use a fine brush or Testor's micro-tip applicators. Also, big globs of lacquer can come rushing out when you push the tip down to release the lacquer, so it's best to just dab some onto another surface & then dip your brush into it.

The brush in Sally Hansen's is a perfect applicator.
:friendly_wink: