Thread: Thalia picks.

Thalia picks.

I bought an assortment of the wooden picks by Thalia for about $17 on Amazon. I love them- the large 1.4 mm is the one I'd repurchase. 3 ply hardwood- teak, I think. I don't miss the clicking sound you get with a plastic pick. Tell me what you think. They're worth a try.
    Mark I- Hoboken, Mark II, Westerly, Mark III, Westerly, MarkIV, Hoboken, Mark V, Westerly, D4- Westerly, D25, Westerly, D212M, Westerly, G-37 Westerly, D-55 Westerly, Shinano 53, Oscar Teller 7/P, Estrada CL-2K,( first guitar), Mystery Classic, Garcia Classic, Gone but not forgotten; Martin D18, Gone and forgotten; Gibson C1 classic

I like a little more flex in my pick. Snark makes pics as well! They're nice! Dunlop .73 mm nylons are my fave right now. But whatever one is handy is what I'll use.....
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

I use Dunlop Ultex .6, large triangles. I would greatly miss my pick scratches with a wooden pick!

But I have tried picks that don't "click" and I agree it can be a nice sound for the right playing/song.

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

I use Ultex 1.4 picks and don't get the slap/click from them.
    Haven't tried a wood pick yet but they sound interesting.
    Happiness Is A New Set Of Strings
    Taylor Martin Guild

I have used Jim Dunlop .46mm Nylon for 20 years exclusively, but ordered a dozen different light picks to compare. I picked Clayton Frost-Byte .53mm Nylon. I am glad I made the comparisons. Experiment is the ticket.

Ralph

I got a box of the .9s and a 1.4 with a capo from Santa ... Thalia sez they're Santos Rosewood, but 'Wood Database' sez that Pau Ferro is a wood of many names, and is sometimes called Morado: and because the wood is so similar in appearance and working properties to rosewood, it is also sometimes referred to as Bolivian or Santos Rosewood.
    1968 F-212, 1961 Starfire III, 1994 B4CE-AMB
    1970 Del Vecchio Dinamico, 1979 Ibanez M-340, 1914 Gibson A-1 mandolin, 2013 Ibanez M510 mandolin, 2012 Trinity College Octave mandolin TM-325, 2013 Turkish baglama saz, 2009 Les Starkey bodhran, Vox Pathfinder 15R, Merry's archtop banjo

I got one of these with a Thalia capo that came to me for Christmas. Since I fingerpick my Guilds, I tried the Thalia pick on my mandolin. I like the stiffness but it is a bit scratchy and does not get off the strings quickly. I thought this might be due to the lack of bevel on the edge. So I took a series of increasingly finer grit sandpaper and put a bevel on the picking edge. Still scratchy untill I polished it on a buffing wheel to a nice shine. Much better feel and a nice clean sound.

BTW, I have trouble operating the Thalia Capo (Arthritis) so I am looking to sell it for $50. PM if interested.
    Last edited by docfishr; 01-15-2018 at 12:26 AM. Reason: addition